Catamounts @ Terriers

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby terrierbob on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:13 pm

Isn't Young the athletic director? If so, Dunlap could say he needs to concentrate more on administrative responsibilities.
terrierbob

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:15 pm

terrierbob wrote:Isn't Young the athletic director? If so, Dunlap could say he needs to concentrate more on administrative responsibilities.

Nah, former coach Richard Johnson is the AD.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:20 pm

Bracketology 101 had us winning the SoCon in the early projections that came out this past Sunday... I assume that changes now :-k

http://bracketology101.blogspot.com/200 ... of-65.html
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby terrierbob on Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:24 pm

I can't remember the last time a coach was fired at Wofford.
terrierbob

Postby GoldandBlack on Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:48 pm

If it doesn't happen in baseball, I'll be surprised to see it happen in basketball.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:41 pm

I also went to the game last night and I concur with the previous comments. We beat Cincy with Gibson, so what was different the last three games? I counted one offensive rebound in the 1st half. We are already 0-2 in the SOCON and have to climb out of a big hole early in the season.

There was more team play and ball movement in the 2nd half. Players were cutting to the basket and they looked a heluva lot better compared to the 1st half.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Ruckus on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:05 am

Rick Gilstrap was basically forced out in '87 as football coach and we forced out a baseball coach in the late 90's. But I agree 100% with G&B. Amen to that, brother.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:08 pm

I think with Gilstrap, we didn't renew his contract. That's as close to firing a coach as we get. Now with that said, I don't think Mike Young is doing that bad of a job. He recruits well, and recruits players we can all be proud to call Wofford Terriers. I see some of these kids on other SoCo teams and they are pretty scary looking with the tatoos, hair, etc.. I don't want kids like that representing Wofford. What Mike needs to do is show more urgency and emotion and the kids will follow suit. There is no reason for the team to come out as flat as they did in the first half versus WCU. Mike needs to make sure they are ready each game. It would also help if there were more butts in the seats. I thought the attendance Weds. was an embarrassment, that being our home opener for the SoCo. Spartanburg needs to support this team better. I drive up from Charlotte and make most of the games. If you live in the Spartanburg area, you have no excuse for not being at the games...and bring your friends. This is good basketball, ......most nights.
Rowdy

Postby GoldandBlack on Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:57 pm

Add my "ditto" to Rowdy's post- well said.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:22 pm

Nobody, as far as I can tell, has suggested firing him or is calling for Mike's head but there seems to be a repetitive problem that is his responsibility to fix. With responsibility comes accountability and consequences. I am the first to agree with our/his priorities of academics and character. What I don't understand is how this happens year in and out and how our guys seem flat in a lot of games. Along with the coaching issues, upperclassmen leadership means a lot too. That's what I always respected about Larry Davis at FU: regardless of their relative talent, when his teams stepped on the floor they were wide open and in your face. That kind of mindset, tempo, team chemistry, whatever you want to call it, starts in practice and set by the upperclassmen and the coaches. Unfortunately, our intensity is lacking at times. We need some urgency and fire. The crowd issue is a very good point though. It's easier to get pumped up when you've got a rockin' house.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Men's Basketball