Catamounts @ Terriers

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Catamounts @ Terriers

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:11 am

Western Carolina is 3-1 and currently has the best winning percentage in the North Division of the SoCon, with wins over UNC-Asheville, Atlantic Christian and Toccoa Falls, and am 82-57 loss to Purdue. Tonight is their first conference game.

It'll be nice to have an opportunity to see the Terriers play- I hope they're fired up after Monday's loss at UNC-G.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:45 pm

Tony Mejia of CBS is predicting Wofford by a 70-68 score.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:54 pm

Wofford down 37-23 at the half.

I couldn't find anyone to babysit so I couldn't go. At this point, I'm glad I'm not there :(
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:57 pm

Another game, another loss.

Western 81
Wofford 75
Final
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:38 pm

I made it to the game- that was an ugly loss.

WCU was quicker and more athletic than we were, but less disciplined on offense, which kept it from being worse than it was.

We had NO inside game in the first half, and they went on a 23-4 run in the first half to come back from a 14-7 deficit to a 31-17 lead. We were making mostly perimeter shots during that run, and missing. The few inside moves we made were smothered during the run, whether they were in zone or man-to-man.

Nichols and Marshall got hot from 3-point range in the second half, and we had a better offensive effort on the inside, but it was too late.

Based on tonight, the coaches' preseason pick for our ranking in the SoCon looks to be pretty accurate. Let's hope not.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:40 pm

Hey, I'm tired, so the math on their run was wrong, but you get the idea.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:34 am

Is it time for Young to take a play from MA and put his head through a trashcan?
Rowdy

Postby GoldandBlack on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:01 am

NCAA Game Summary - Western Carolina At Wofford

POSTED: 11:36 pm EST November 29, 2006

Spartanburg, SC -- (Sports Network) - Jake Robinson scored 20 points, hitting 6- of-7 from behind the three-point line, to lead the Western Carolina Catamounts to an 81-75 victory over the Wofford Terriers in a Southern Conference matchup from Johnson Arena.

Antonio Russell netted 19 points for the Catamounts (4-1, 1-0 SoCon) and Nick Aldridge posted a double-double, contributing 15 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.

Shane Nichols led the Terriers (4-4, 0-1) with a game-high 24 points, while Eric Marshall scored 18 points and dished out six assists. Matt O'Connor and Tyler Whatley chipped in 12 and 11 points, respectively.

Western Carolina held Wofford to a meager 30.8 percent from the field in the first half, and took a 37-23 lead going into the break.

In the second half the Catamounts connected on 53.8 percent of their attempts from the floor, and were able to hold on for the six-point victory despite the Terriers 66.7 percent from the field during the period.

The Terriers were a mere 9-of-24 from beyond the arc in the loss.
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrierbob on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:04 am

Same old pattern. Four point loss to NC State, beat Cincy, lost two winnable games to SOCON teams. We could play our way out of contention if we keep this up.
terrierbob

Postby dungeonjoe on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:37 am

:cry: when does football season start again?
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby terrierbob on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:54 am

when does football season start again?

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:55 am

This was an unacceptable loss in my eyes and an example of why we are not able to compete in the conference in basketball, unlike football where the coaches have the team emotionally prepared for the most part each week. I was not at the game but the reports are Wofford was flat and non-emotional. This lies on Young. How could we not be emotional and ready to play at home against a SoCon team after we've been on the road for so long and just got destroyed by another SoCon team. I am shocked at how poorly prepared we were for this game. It is a shame because we obviously have some talent.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Ruckus on Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:07 pm

Where there's smoke, there's fire. We obviously have a pattern that needs to be broken. Coach Young is a great guy and a good recruiter but at some point the team's performance is his responsibility.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby ShortHairedDog on Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:59 pm

I thought I would get flamed on for posting my opinion on the game last night but it looks like some of you have my same opinion. I was able to attend the game(the first of many this season) and was very disappointed. Our defense could not hold the 7 dwarfs to less than 75 points. We of course knew this going into the season. Also, our inside play is nowhere near Division I caliber, but I think a lot of that is youth and these guys will get better(and bigger) with age. I thought I might see Lebolo play, but I don’t think he got any playing time. Our we trying to red shirt him?

Offensively we are a mess. I have not seen us play this year with Drew Gibson, but it seems like he must really hold the team together on the floor. We are really missing him. I am not sure if Shane has expressed an issue playing point, but he looked frustrated on many occasions when he was playing the position.

2006 seems to be a repeat of 2004/2005. We compete against the big boys early, we lose a starter early in the season, we barely compete once in conference play, and we lose in the first round of the SoCon tournament. I am personally getting tired of this trend
-ShortHairedDog
ShortHairedDog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:27 pm

We can and should do better.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Men's Basketball