Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

good game woff...

Postby gofurman on Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:35 pm

from a furman fan:

good game...i just don't think mike has the talent this year overall he has had for a few years...with collier and some returning you could be a force again next year...i sat behind collier's parents and they were a pleasure by the way...i must ask though - your D was supposed to be your strength? they didn't look so hot...not smack, just honest....ingle and the running game were picking them apart... the only thing that annoyed me at all in this game was some woff fan who said 'man, if we had played in the first half we would have won'...um, did you notice that furman had all subs in the last 15/20 minutes when you all could sudden magically move the ball? hmmm..coincidence? anyway, that was just one guy...classy fans and program you have, seriously...one of my friends pointed out some classy things your players did that I agreed with...good luck with the rest of yoru season and see you next year...hope you are strong bc i want the socon to have as many good teams as possible...
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Sparklepup on Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:53 pm

Congratulations to Furman on a nice win. We just don't have the guys this year to win the big games. I'm not sure who we have coming in or waiting in the winds but we need some studs. It seems like the last two years the injuries have really hurt us more so than in previous years. We definately need a markee player like Kevious Johnson was for us for a couple years. Hopefully, we'll finish on a positive note against GW. It will also be nice next year not to have Georgia Southern play all our conference opponents the week before we play them. And then for goodness sake I hope the scheduling gurus can do a better job next year so we won't have to go on the rode for the final four games. It would be nice to play a home game in November. Good luck Furman in the playoffs.
Sparklepup

Postby BestOfBreed on Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:07 pm

Good win by Furman. I'm just glad we got some late scores to at least make it look better than it was. Hopefully, Furman can do well in the playoffs.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby gofurman on Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:11 pm

'It will also be nice next year not to have Georgia Southern play all our conference opponents the week before we play them. '

agreed.,..see us furman and woff guys can agree on some stuff :) ...that is a screw job...i heard one of our players in the post game say how much easier it was to see your offense after seeing gsu's ...you should randomly be ahead of gsu for some and behind gsu for others...not always behind them on everybody's schedule...

I'm just glad we got some late scores to at least make it look better than it was.'

Thanks for saying that...like I said ...the only thing I didn't like in my whole game experience today was some woff guy who kept saying 'man, if only we would have played like that in the first half'...a real keen observer that guy...

Congrats on tough battling and a winning season...heard this was the winningest team (the seniors) in woff history? wow - that is great! congrats to those guys
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:39 am

Sparklepup wrote:It will also be nice next year not to have Georgia Southern play all our conference opponents the week before we play them.

It would be nice not to have to follow GSU on everyone's schedule, so long as we still get them early in the season. I think some of our success against them in recent years has been that they didn't have all the kinks out of their game becuase usually we were getting them in the second or third game when they'd only played a D-I or a D-II. I think there is something to be said for being their first conference foe. But, I guess we'll see...
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:43 am

Anyone that saw the game knows that we were never in it. Whatever happened late was too little too late. It was interesting, though to seea freshmen QB running at fullback for a 10 yd per carry average(5 carries -52 yds) behind a freshman at offensive guard, and another freshman QB completing passes to a freshman WR.
The key to the game, in my opinion was the ability for Furman to convert on 3rd down, and Woffords inability. In the first half, Furman was 6 of 7, and Wofford was 2 of 6. Our kicking game is also atrocious, other than the ability to kick it into the endzone on kick-offs. We have the potential, but this season, thats all it is is potential. It will give Lee Hanning a challenge for the off-season.
Our defense was not that bad, other than the inability to shut Furman down on 3rd down, and our inability to convert on 3rd down. A stop here on there on 3rd down, and a 3rd down conversion here o r there would have made quite a difference. However, all that is meaningless since we did'nt do it. There is a fine line between a good season, and a mediocre season. This year we could'nt cross the line. However, the beauty of sport, and competition, and being a fan is that we get to start over next year, after we finish this year----
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffwoff on Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:01 pm

It seems last years recruiting class was a good one. Did many of those guys redshirt? It seems like there are alot of OL guys on the roster who of those guys going to be playing next year?

The kid from IDEEHO seems like a great QB, I'd love to see him play a bit more, maybe platoon the QB position as was done in the past. The QB fullback is a player and should KJ make it back it would be great to have more depth at that position.

As far as D I think it was awesome for the experience of the team, of course it could be better but you could just see the young guys learning and adjusting as the season went on.

GO TERRIERS
woffwoff

Postby Sparklepup on Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:12 pm

I keep hearing or seeing comments about Kevious Johnson making it back. Does anyone know if this is realistic? I was always of the impression that his football days, at least at Wofford, were done. I hope this is not the case but my sources were fairly reliable. Tell me there is reason to hope. He was a special player.
Sparklepup

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Kevious will be back, reliable source says. The reason he was outed by Ayers was he cheated on a test. As good as the kid is on the field, I'm glad to see that dishonesty doesn't get overlooked. This will make him a better man one day. I wonder how many players have gotten caught at GSU and ASU and still were allowed to play...this is why Wofford is what it is as an institution ...we don't compromise on the issues
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:35 am

If that's true, good for Coach Ayers. If Kevious is man enough to face his punishment, return to school and make right, then good for him.

Having KJ in the backfield next season would be a huge boost, as it would have this year, but not at the expense of principles. Hopefully, the situation will turn outt he best for everyone.

Keep posting any KJ updates if you hear any.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football