FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Matt Picks Furman

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:49 pm

by Matt Dougherty

Wofford (5-4) at No. 6 Furman (7-2), 12:30

It’s bounce back time for the Paladins, who saw their six-game win streak come to an end with a loss at rival Georgia Southern. Furman might have played with fire one too many times, losing in the final minute after pulling out four last-play victories earlier in the season. But the Paladins did play a pretty good game against the Eagles, and I think they’re due for a quality performance on both sides against a Wofford team that is out of the playoff running. The Terriers were shutout against Western Carolina on Saturday, and face a Furman run defense that will be looking for a better performance after allowing 430 yards against the Eagles. Furman’s offense will be tested by a pretty good Wofford defense, but few teams have really stopped the Paladins all season. Furman is due to put together a good performance over 60 minutes against a quality opponent. The Paladins win big to solidify a playoff spot. Prediction: Furman 38, Wofford 17
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:52 pm

Probably a pretty good assessment of the situation going into the game, but, I don't see the score being that high on either account.

Unless Furman totally wears down the Wofford defense by keeping them on the field the whole game like Western did, I don't see the Paladins putting up 38, or even 30. Wofford's defensive strategy has always been centered around avoiding big plays and forcing opponents to nickel and dime their way down the field. I just don't see that breaking down two weeks in a row.

On offense, I expect a solid effort from Wofford with better results than last week. I'm not saying the Terriers will run all over Furman, but I'd expect 250 yards of rushing and time of possession of at least 35+ minutes.

All of that together and I think we are looking at something more like a 13-10 game. My only hope is that the T-Dogs are on the winning end.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:05 am

good assessment as always eyes. I read in the online Spartanburg paper that Collier has yet to feel comfortable with this offense, that he is thinking more than playing. I hope he can take the next two games to build that level of comfort as we improve to 2006. That doesn't mean we give up, but we continue to build past this year's injuries and set backs.

If KJ does return next year and Collier is running the O well, look out.

Uh, I sound like a USC fan-- sorry
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffwoff on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:47 pm

It will be interesting to watch the spring develop. There is a lot of talent and more coming in. Who is there that will fill Katon's shoes? What can the O-line do to improve. KJ is important, it would be great to have him back, but the offense is in need of help. QB, O-line, Running game- where can the terriers improve-what position do they need to recuit.

On another note, Coach A is still waiting for that 200th win- look out Furry Pals, it could be you.

GO TERRIERS
woffwoff
woffwoff

Return to Football