Furman Game

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Furman Game

Postby gofurman on Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:38 pm

what are your strengths and weaknesses as yo see them? our run game is good - if we have felton to make you honor the middle...if ingle is on we are dangerous passing too but don't have a real breakaway threat (a lot of possession type passes)...and fwiw i thought ingle did great yesterday - people look at that last pick but we aren't even in the game without him...we rode his arm for a while in that game ...our run D is better than our pass D which gives me hope against you all but we need to tackle better as you saw...that was the first time since western i have seen us tackle so poor...i attribute some of that to foster and austin being so tough to bring down (and foster being a slick runner)
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:35 am

I think our strength this year is our defense. In both the App state game, and the Western game, our defense was put into some situations whereby some coaching decisions put there backs against the wall. I think we are strong against the run, particularly up the middle. We have good speed on the corners. I think we can be good against the pass, but the secondary still is a little inexperienced, but we are getting better. My real concern is on the offense. We are inconsistent, and tentative at times on the execution of the option. At the beginning of the year, I thought we had the potential to be much better than people were giving us credit. Unfortunately, it has'nt turned out that way. I do know this, Coach Ayers, his staff, and the players will give a 100 % effort all the way to the end. I think that that we can win against Furman if we can get the fullback to average 4-5 yards per carry, and execute the option with decisiveness and authority, we contain Felton, and don't let you guys make the big play. Big "ifs", but possible.
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:50 pm

i don't know if we willhave felton.. hi s finger is probably broken and i am not sure if he is playing
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:25 pm

I think Wofford has a chance in this one, but the Terriers have almost no room for error while Furman can probably commit some mistakes and/or get away with not firing on all cylinders.

Wofford's offense is going to have to move the chains. They will not win unless they dominate the time of posession. The Terrier defense can not spend as much time on the field as they did against Western.

Wofford's defense can hang with Furman, I think. But, they will have to avoid big plays and contain Furman's passing game.

These games have been close the last few years and always seem to come down to the end. With that said, being the last team with the ball may be the biggest advantage of the game.

I guess my keys to the game will be how well Wofford deals with Ingle Martin and also how well the Terrier offense can do in creating running room up the middle and getting more than just a yeard or two on first down. Either way, Furman doesn't have very much to prove and Wofford has a lot. But, based off watching Coach Ayers for years, my guess is that is exactly the way he wants it right now.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:36 pm

any time you have a good D - and yuo do...you have a chance...
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:24 am

linebacker derek newberry out for wof?
running back hobbs out? any others? was hobbs a starter? thanks for the info...like i said felton is iffy for us and that is a big'un...otherwise we are fairly healthy...
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:26 pm

nothing on hobbs or others?
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:58 am

Hobbs is out. Newberry has been back for a few weeks now unless he got hurt again Saturday.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Return to Football