Looks Like Another Season Down The Drain

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Looks Like Another Season Down The Drain

Postby BGTerrier on Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Does the administration just not care about the baseball program at Wofford? It's unbelievable to think Coach I still has a job after the pitiful showing over the past three years. There is no way his behavior and attitude meet the Wofford standard. His questionable character mixed with his enormous ego have done nothing but inhibit the growth of the baseball program. He clearly doesn't know what he's doing and has taken advantage of the position. He takes advantage of his players. This coaching staff is quick to place blame on others for failure, while never looking at themselves as the cause. Coach Blake and Coach I have real problems with this, because of their "can do no wrong" attitude. This coaching staff needs a reality check, and someone in the administration needs to hold them accountable. Any other school in the country would fire a coaching staff after 3 LOSING seasons and a record of 58-105. It's actually surprising the program was able to win that many games, based on the utter lack of coaching. There has been ZERO PROGRESS over the past 3 years with only a couple of players showing any improvement. How could there not be a change after the repeated lack of improvement and player development? We can expect nothing less than the same garbage from the past 3 years. I really feel sorry for the current players because they have to put up with inadequate and incompetent coaches. Wofford will look back on this as a blown opportunity to make a change and point this program in the right direction.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Re: Looks Like Another Season Down The Drain

Postby wocogoose94 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:33 pm

No, the administration doesnt care about the baseball program.
wocogoose94

Postby Ruckus on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:31 am

Perhaps our good friend Reggie Warren Jr. can shed some light on this. Don't where that ray of sunshine has been in the last 4 months. He went strangely silent about the time of our total collapse in the spring.
BTW- Mark Line cares, not sure anyone else does. But Mark does. Trust me on that one.
The sad things are: 1) I think the coaches are really trying however poorly we might think they have performed. This is important to note because I think it highlights one of our major issues; see below.
2) It's the kids in the program that are the ones really suffering. It sucks to work so hard (perhaps at things that aren't productive to winning, but still) and lose. My heart goes out to them.
3) In baseball circles, we are the laughing stock of the league and state. I have yet to come across one person in the business (umps, coaches, players, etc.) who respects us and thinks we are on the right track. D-2 or NAIA history or not, some of us old farts still have some pride in our program; and it rankles me that we are considered a complete joke.
And we has such an opportunity to do it right (TW or not) coming off the SoCon championship. We completely blew it. Frightens me of what might happen to either basketball or football programs should MY or MA move along or retire (which WILL happen at some point).
Look, it's tough enough to win at Wofford in well funded sports (like football and basketball); but it's an EXTREMELY difficult, if not impossible, situation to win and even be competitive at Wofford in baseball given our level of funding. All the more important to have competent, experienced, capable leadership. As I have said before, I understand losses. What I don't understand is poorly played, non-fundamental baseball played by a team that looks like they are on a chain gang trying to build the Great Wall of China under forced labor. Pitchers not backing up any base, much less the proper base; cut off men never hit with throws, errors on routine balls, poorly defended bunts, as examples. Makes me want to vomit.
Enough. I have has my daily excorcism on the state of our baseball program. Time to go back to work.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:34 pm

I know Coach Line cares, he was a great friend to me during my time at Wofford. I wish it was him making the decisions, as opposed to others. The funding argument seems to be a big on this forum, but is only a small part of the major problem with the baseball program. More scholarships would be nice, but with the current coaching situation far outweighs the funding problem. There is plenty of talent in the program to compete in the conference. The problem is the absence of any player development or overall team improvement. The neglect of basic fundamentals has been a major problem for this program and will continue to be a problem until addressed. This coaching staff is doing the current players a HUGE disservice by not helping them grow and get better. The problem is the coaches have their own agenda and waste time with counterproductive practice. Instead of focusing on individual strengths and weaknesses, countless time was wasted with repetitive and ineffective drills. It's was more important to fill all the allotted NCAA time for practice, than spend time actually helping the players. Nothing I did in practice my three years playing for Coach I helped me get better. The improvement I made was achieved on my own during the summer and winter breaks with outside help form people who really know baseball.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Wofford Dude from Montana on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:14 am

Tough season and sounds like the Coach needs to reevaluate his mission. Still think stadium is a great palce to chillax after work. Lenny and the crew make it interesting as well. Sure do miss Carl though and his funny sayings. Nice touch having seat retired. Better luck next year.
Wofford Dude from Montana
True Terrier Fan

Postby DiamondTerrier on Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 pm

Before we count a season down the drain lets step back and take another look at the situation as it now stands. I for one am now encouraged that there has been a definite upgrade in the coaching staff. We now have two more coaches than last year and that should have to have a direct impact on what can be accomplished in practice. With the addition of a new Assistant Coach and two Grad Assistants I am hoping that it will make an impact on what can be achieved on an individual basis with each player. Maybe the administration hasn't totally ignored the baseball team’s needs. We now have what I would call a complete staff. With the addition of these three coaches who seem to have something to offer I am encouraged. Just the addition of Disher alone should help bring a new outlook and hopefully a new attitude towards being competitive and winning. After all look at what he has been around at South Carolina and also was exposed to some pro ball. Maybe some of that will rub off on our guys. I think with these additions shows that Coach I cares about making this program successful. Now it will come down to making the correct decisions on the field and managing the pitching staff and be able to get the most out of each and every one of them. Also strides have to be made in how each player is motivated. If they can play without being scared of making a mistake and what the consequences will be if they do, I feel it will create an atmosphere where they can loosen up and perform to their capabilities. Last year I do feel that was a problem at times. I do think we have made some progress this year. I hope others feel the same way. I will be interested to hear what others opinions are.
DiamondTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:02 pm

I am concerned about the team's fundamentals, particularly defensive. I am also concerned about the team's morale and ability to PLAY the game at the highest level and enjoy themselves. I think there was some improvement this year until the collapse at the end. Maybe the coaching staff is learning a little more each year; not about the game but about getting the most out of the kids and helping them play their best.
Spring is like hope which springs eternal.......
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 pm

I know nothing about the new assistant coach or grad assistants hired, so I will not speak about them. What I do know is Coach I is still the head coach, and this program will not be successful with him in command. It wouldn't matter if Wofford added Ray Tanner and Jack Legget to the coaching staff, Coach I is still in place and the reason Wofford baseball has continued to struggle. Coach I doesn't know how to win and that has influenced the program. New assistant coaches will have zero influence on the baseball program because Coach I refuses to listen to outside help. He is still running the show and will control everything the assistant coaches do. Wofford had a great opportunity to make a change after three pitiful seasons and really dropped the ball. It's a shame current and incoming players have to continue to put up with inadequate leadership and character.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby Natural on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:25 pm

Yawn...
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby COHAZE on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 pm

Under NCAA rules there can only be ONE volunteer assistant.
COHAZE

Postby DiamondTerrier on Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Jeremy Strack is a Volunteer Assistant and Phil Disher is an Assistant Coach so that along with the addition of Greg Sullivan has to be an upgrade in the Staff as a whole. Face it, last year it was a two man staff. The fact of having a five man staff has to be a better situation this year. Now lets see what can be accomplished come Game Time.
DiamondTerrier

Postby COHAZE on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:38 pm

Alright, let me rephrase this. NCAA rules only allow 3 paid coaches and one unpaid volunteer assistant. That's it. No exceptions. As of right now you supposedly have:
Interdonato-paid
Blake-paid
Sullivan--paid

That means only Disher or Stack can be an unpaid volunteer assistant. You cannot legally have both under NCAA rules.

To put it another way, you've got 5 guys for 4 spots. One of them has to go. My guess is one of them is already out of the picture, you just don't know it yet.
COHAZE

Postby dialing8 on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Considering Sullivan has no e-mail address, I have to assume he left.
He was hired well before the other two assistants so he would have an e-mail address IF he was still with the program.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby DiamondTerrier on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:48 pm

Not sure about Sullivan. That would be interesting if he has left already. I do know that Sullivan was in charge of some of the camps this summer while Coach I and Coach Blake were out on the recruiting trail. Disher has already started and has been seen around the athletic office this week. Not sure if Strack has started yet. We should know for sure soon who is truly on the staff since there is one more baseball camp on the agenda in two weeks. The camp is for high school age players so let’s see who is there working this camp. Coaching responsibilities will have Dasher will work with the catchers and hitters and also assisting in recruiting. Coach Strack will work with the outfielders and will coach first base. I look at these additions as a very positive move. Face it; basically last year was a two man coaching staff. So now with 4 (or 5) coaches surely they will be able to have our guys better prepared come game day. Yes, there will have to be better game management by the coaching staff (especially with the pitching staff). The biggest thing Wofford baseball must do is enter the year with a new and determined attitude towards competing hard and winning. Hopefully this is an indication that Coach I is leading the way with the additions to the coaching staff. I for one, think there has been progress in this area and hope it will have a trickle down effect with the players.
DiamondTerrier

Postby COHAZE on Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:44 pm

He certainly didn't last long. Maybe Interdonato finally got around to telling him that he had to do the team laundry on road trips. ;-)

dialing8 wrote:Considering Sullivan has no e-mail address, I have to assume he left.
He was hired well before the other two assistants so he would have an e-mail address IF he was still with the program.
COHAZE

Next

Return to Baseball