Does USC's NC help us in anyway?

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Does USC's NC help us in anyway?

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:07 pm

One has to think that USC winning the NC last night should bring attention to the baseball talent around the Carolinas. With 6 teams in the NCAAs (5 from from SC) and 2 in the final 4, people may start to pay more attention to our fair state when it comes to baseball. Will this help us in anyway, collaterally or directly? CoC by all rights should have played USC in the Super Regional and got shafted by several bad calls; and El Cid and Elon making the NCAAs should help the stock of the SoCon as being one of the best conferences in the country for baseball which should help us.
Aside from possibly mitigating our losses to USC, CoC, Elon, and El CId, any other thoughts?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: Does USC's NC help us in anyway?

Postby walliver on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:55 pm

I don't think it will help us. It will help USC and Clemson, and possibly Coastal, CoC and El Cid.

I doubt the coat-tails will reach down to Wofford, the Purple Pansies and the Blue Hose.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:04 pm

USC's fortune has zero benefit for Wofford. Postseason bids help Elon, CofC, and Citadel with recruiting and make them stronger while Wofford stays the same. I can't see Wofford gaining anything from this. With an inadequate coaching staff and a poor showing on the field, recruits will look to these other schools until Wofford makes changes and turns the baseball program around. The stronger get stronger, while the weak remain weak. When will the administration come to their senses and make some changes. Wofford will continue to be a bottom feeder until the administration drastically changes things.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby blitz4 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:25 pm

I think the success of all these teams will actually hurt us. We were terrible, while many other teams in the state and region were great. A coaching change must be made before anything positive will come out of Wofford baseball.
blitz4

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:48 am

People will take notice when the actions of Wofford's athletic administration dictate that they care enough to support our athletes with the tools they need. Until then, we are just rewarding our guys with embarrassment and signalling to the world that we aren't interested in competing. I refuse to blame the players for this because I know they care and give everything they can, but I will not give any quarter to the administration or coaching staff where on-the-field performance is concerned.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:50 am

Baaseball is my favorite sport but I really don't feel there is enough interest in our alumni force and in
our athletic staff (except for Mark Line) to make the changes we need to be competitive.
terriers

Postby Ruckus on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:05 pm

I had a long talk with 2-5 a few weeks ago. Believe me, he cares.........a lot.
IMO - baseball ,in many ways, is the sacrificial lamb of the athletic dept.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 pm

My feelings exactly, Ruckus.
terriers

Return to Baseball