Accountability

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Accountability

Postby DiamondTerrier on Wed May 19, 2010 5:24 pm

A lot has happeneded this year. In the world of college baseball at the Southern Conference level, who is held accountable? Head Coach, Pitching Coach or the staff as a whole. Seems a lot has been mismanagement of the pitching staff. You don't wait until we load the bases then walk 1 or 2 in with walks and hit batsman before you even get someone up in the bullpen to get ready. Too late then. It's happened 3 or 4 times the second half of the season. Who makes that call? Head Coach or Pitching Coach? Would love to know everyone's thoughts. Wofford had a 4 game lead with 6 games left to play. Now it's down to 1. Unbelievable!!!! Considering the last the games were Furman. Now we have App. State and Furman has UNC Greeny. We may be on the outside looking in after this weekend. Even with the way we have played at times the kids deserve better. We have played well at times and we have scored runs. Just give up too many runs. Just look at the ERA and pitching stats. They don't lie. Maybe the time is now to take a good close look at the management of this team. Is a change coming or in the works? Who knows!
DiamondTerrier

Re: Accountability

Postby LITTLEGIANTS on Wed May 19, 2010 9:14 pm

Good post. The buck always stops with the head coach. If an assistant makes the wrong call multiples of times you override him or get rid of him. I was at the first game of the Furman series it appeared we left our starter in way too long to me (admittedly probably poorer arms to come in, trying to save arms for Sat and Sun) but it looked like we sacrificed our guy. BTW, I think I saw Reggie at the game, wringing his hands and all. There is a general malaise surrounding the baseball team. I sense apathy around our alumni and resignation among our administrators. The players are not playing smart, especially on defense and do not appear to be playing with enthusiasm or enjoying themselves. It is possible to "play" baseball while being a diligent player and good teammate. I believe the coach controls the intangibles around a baseball club and that may be our weakest spot...followed closely by the pitching. Something needs to change. Perhaps a more experienced head coach would know what the answer is.
LITTLEGIANTS
True Terrier Fan

Postby blitz4 on Wed May 19, 2010 10:58 pm

I as well as many others in the terrier family agree that the problem is the pitching coach, Dusty Blake, however the responsibility to make the change or over ride his decision making is the head coach. Coach I is very capable of winning games at Wofford, but he must get rid of Dusty Blake. He is letting Blake ruin his head coaching career. We have had the worse pitching staff in the conference and nation over the past 3 years and things aren’t looking any greener for next year. If Coach I can’t let go of Blake then Wofford needs to let go of Coach I.
blitz4

Postby *BATMAN* on Thu May 20, 2010 8:50 am

There is definitely something lacking with the baseball program and the intangibles are the key between having a successful program and one that is merely floundering and not reaching its full potential. Success does not always mean winning games either. As hard as one might try you can't fit a square peg in a round hole. It is time for the administration to take a hard look at the leadership of this program.
*BATMAN*

Postby BossTerrier on Fri May 21, 2010 8:25 am

Furman won last night against UNC-G 4-3. If Furman ties us in the standings, they have the tiebreaker to the tournament.

Unbelieveable-
BossTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Fri May 21, 2010 8:37 am

I am not sure it's coaching or just the general talent level that is our problem. But something is definitely a problem. This issue of "intangibles" is real one and a very good point. For several years now, I have noticed that at least by late in the year the team looks tired, worn out, and flat out dead. I know it's long grind from January to May and there will be days when the fire just isn't there; but LITTLEGIANTS is right, baseball is a game to be "played" and enjoyed. It shouldn't be work or drudgery. To come into the series with our biggest rival who is struggling win just 5 games all year in the league, at their place, with a chance to really improve the standing of the program, and go to the SoCon tourney riding high, we flat lay an egg and get 30 runs hung on us over 3 games that we were never really in?????????????? What the heck is going on????????? We just mailed it in?????????????
Inexcusable in my book. Compeletely unacceptable. I know we have a young team, no schollies, yadayadayada. But to be swept and embarrassed by a downright terrible FU team,which by the way has only 1 or 2 more schollies than we do (so that excuse doesn't apply), and deserves some action on all levels: team, coach, and admin. iIt's one thing to be outplayed by face superior talent and lose. It's another to just not show up. Our defense is terrible and we play with poor fundamentals. In three years, I have seen us hit a cut off man 2 times max. People ALWAYS take the extra base off us. We just play poor fundamental defensive baseball. We have guys that can play and swing the bat but the team aspect of defense and pitching is awful.
There is one word to describe our state of affairs at this point: APATHY. Nobody gives a crap. Not the admin, the alumni, and apparently the team (BTW - I think Coach I does; what he is capable of doing about it is another issue). Otherwise, we would have a better funded program and better more experienced leadership of it.
I played at WoCo for 2-5 (Mark Line) who is one of the finest people on this planet. I played with a group of guys that I still count as great friends of mine and at the time we broke the school record for wins. While I realize that times have changed and we playing a tougher more demanding schedule now, but for that time in Wofford's history, we were successful. We won games against bigger schools with more money and more schollies and better talent; we had fun; played for a great guy; represented our school well; got great educations; and as a whole are very proud of Wofford baseball and our contribution to it. So I shudder as I type this but I am to the point of saying if we can't do better than this then just end the program and play it as club sport. I can't take this anymore. It saddens me to the core to see a program that I value be underfunded, undersupported, and relegated to second class citizen status so it can't compete. There are many many reasons why we aren't winning (and laying eggs at FU). I am just tired of them all.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby *BATMAN* on Fri May 21, 2010 8:57 am

It is interesting to compare today's team to the team of the Mark Line era. IMHO there is one major factor to the general malaise of Wofford baseball. To change the chemistry you have to change the elements and you start at the top. That might be oversimplifying the problem but after seeing what has happened over the few years I don't think so.
*BATMAN*

Postby Ruckus on Fri May 21, 2010 9:29 am

I don't think you can compare eras (tougher schedule, bigger home park, more games which wear on your arms, etc). What I think you can compare is the quality of baseball being played, not wins or losses. While I think the general talent level has improved (but perhaps not as much as some would like to think), I don't think the team is playing a better brand of baseball. In my era, guys like Clay Griffin and Lane Glaze NEVER booted a play they should make; we almost always got a bunt down to advance a runner; we always hit the cut off man to prevent the extra base; we almost never made stupid baserunning decisions; and more importantly, and we almost always were ready to play the important games (that doesn't mean we always won them). Superior talent certainly helps you win but good smart fundamental play will keep you in games.
I realize by making this statement I am at risk for Reggie and younger baseball alums to take issue and flame me for trying to criticize and put down this era but that is not my intention. I simply point these things out to say from what I have seen the team looks different. We have some great talent (Doyle, Diamadoros, Behrendt, etc.) but there is more to winning games than just pure talent. It takes something more which from what I have seen we are struggling to find.
What I would most like to see is ENTHUSIASM. Chatter from the dugout; high fives and butt slaps for playing well; smiles on faces; fun being had; guys looking like they are having the times of their lives (whether they realize it or not, they are because it only get harder from here). All I see now is hardened faces of strain and stress, worry and frustration. I know they take it seriously and they should. But you can a little fun in the process.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby DiamondTerrier on Fri May 21, 2010 10:51 am

If you want to know why there is no excitement and enthusiasm among this years team, it's because it has been taken from them. They are so afraid that if they do happen to make a mistake, then they know they will have a good tongue lashing. It's not just a tongue lashing it's the way they are made to feel during it by the cursing they take. They have been forced into playing in fear. I understand that sometimes a good butt chewing has to be done and is a good thing, but also they shouldn't have to play in fear so it takes the fun out of the game. They need to understand that this is a game that is to be enjoyed and the bottom line isn't always judged in wins and losses. It's how the game is played. That starts at the top and is trickled down from there. The coach has to make the game fun for his players and has to enjoy the game himself. That isn't happening. I know that there will be some difference of opinions on the coaches actions but all I'm saying there should be a balance. He should be able to get on to his players when they do wrong but he also has a responsibility to instill an atmosphere where the game is fun to play. That also will help instill confidence that we so desperately need. After all, confidence breeds success. Our players should play with the confidence and enthusiasm and also be able to have fun playing the game. They shouldn't have to play in fear. That is the situation that is in place now. Somehow that has to change. Maybe the coaches need to take a good look at themselves. What we need are coaches who knows and can coach/teach fundamentals. That is not in place at Wofford now. Ruckus is right, we are awful at hitting the cut-off man. Now that is basic fundamentals that can be corrected. For the most part I do think we have the players. Yes, we need more pitching, but we need someone who can teach our pitchers we have basic pitching fundamentals. That is severely lacking here. We have pitchers who can greatly contribute at a much higher level that they are now. They need guidance and someone who can teach that. That is what we do not have at Wofford now. So, all I can say now is: GO TERRIERS! We're behind you.
DiamondTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Fri May 21, 2010 11:13 am

That's not encouraging to those of us who really have something invested in our baseball program. Very sad indeed. I wish the team the best. I know they are in a bad spot.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Fri May 21, 2010 12:56 pm

DiamondTerrier wrote:If you want to know why there is no excitement and enthusiasm among this years team, it's because it has been taken from them. They are so afraid that if they do happen to make a mistake, then they know they will have a good tongue lashing. It's not just a tongue lashing it's the way they are made to feel during it by the cursing they take. They have been forced into playing in fear.

Sounds like you are onto something. I have witnessed this same stuff and share your concerns.
Getting chewed out is ok, but being verbally assaulted is another.
dialing8

Postby american gentleman on Fri May 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Are we on this message board the only ones that see what is going on with baseball program? Surely the administration has seen what has happened and will address the situation . Quite honestly we have not improved over the past three years and although I know the whole scholarship argument, but we should judge the program based on how we fare against our peer group. We are not even competitive with them. The talent level is there to be competitive and even dominate the Davidsons and Furmans of the world, but look at our record against similarly funded programs. If funding is the solution to the problem I beg to differ in part and to also ask who is going to donate scholarship dollars to Wofford baseball with way it is being run now?
american gentleman

Postby blitz4 on Sun May 23, 2010 1:29 am

I feel really sorry for the players who are tricked into coming to a program that is underfunded and under coached. This is probably the worse coaching job I have seen in 25 years or Wofford athletics. And that includes some BAD teams.
blitz4

Postby wocogoose94 on Tue May 25, 2010 11:16 am

2005-2007 Wofford Record

20-64 in the Socon for a .238 winning percentage
67-107 overall for a .385 winning percentage

2008-2010 Wofford Record

22-64 in the Socon for a .256 winning percentage
58-105 overall for a .356 winning percentage
wocogoose94

Postby Player's Dad on Tue May 25, 2010 9:44 pm

[quote="DiamondTerrier"]If you want to know why there is no excitement and enthusiasm among this years team, it's because it has been taken from them. They are so afraid that if they do happen to make a mistake, then they know they will have a good tongue lashing. It's not just a tongue lashing it's the way they are made to feel during it by the cursing they take. They have been forced into playing in fear. =
Player's Dad

Next

Return to Baseball