NCAA Pitching Stats

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

NCAA Pitching Stats

Postby blitz4 on Wed May 12, 2010 11:15 am

Here is our pitcher rankings as of 5-09-10. There are 292 total teams ranked.

ERA-248-7.47....its actually higher than that after last night
Hits allowed per 9 innings-258-12.64
Walks allowed per 9 innings-277-5.14

This is embarrasing. Until Coach I cleans this mess up, he will never be successful at Wofford.
blitz4

Re: NCAA Pitching Stats

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed May 12, 2010 10:14 pm

these stats are quite impressive considering the fact that we have 4 scholarships, 5 at max, and we are the smallest division one school in the country. with the resources we are being given, its actually not that bad. but in order to contend, it needs to get better. thanks for the coach i bashing though moron. by the way its no big deal, but we just beat duke tonight.
reggie warren jr

Postby wocogoose94 on Thu May 13, 2010 8:23 am

Will the excuses ever end?
wocogoose94

Postby johnd7 on Thu May 13, 2010 9:00 am

hey until baseball gets more funding you are lucky to get that,soccer has more money that baseball get a clue
johnd7

Postby dungeonjoe on Thu May 13, 2010 11:30 am

Since it seems the playing field is unlevel when we compare our scholarship numbers to all D1 programs, can anyone say how our stats compare with institutions with the same number of scholarships?

BTW, stop the name calling.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby COHAZE on Thu May 13, 2010 5:05 pm

As dialing8 has pointed out in the past, it is hard to get accurate numbers regarding exactly how many scholarships schools fund. I had a similar discussion with Kendall Rogers and others on the NCAA board awhile back. I suspect that less than half of the 300 D1 schools are fully funded. Rogers said he thought it was more like 60%, but he wasn't sure either. If the exact numbers are out there I don't know where to find them.

dungeonjoe wrote:Since it seems the playing field is unlevel when we compare our scholarship numbers to all D1 programs, can anyone say how our stats compare with institutions with the same number of scholarships?

BTW, stop the name calling.
COHAZE

Postby Natural on Thu May 13, 2010 5:11 pm

And, many of those schools that are not "fully funded" still have 8, 9 or 10 schollys. We would die for that many at Wofford.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby blitz4 on Thu May 13, 2010 6:06 pm

Why do we even compete in baseball if we stand no chance of being a decent team? If the baseball program is that much worse from a money standpoint than teams in our conference and the nation, why not make it a club sport? It just seems that the little money that is used on baseball is a complete waiste, if there is no chance to be successful. Why would any athlete want to play at Wofford when they see how low the expectations are. Who is to blame for this problem?
blitz4

Postby Natural on Thu May 13, 2010 8:43 pm

That's right Blitz...let's just quit. That's a good answer. Better yet, how about adding 5 scholarships to baseball from football players who will never see the field? That would make a dramatic difference in baseball and not hurt football one bit.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Thu May 13, 2010 10:53 pm

If any team wants more scholarships, then lobby the athletic department that decides which sport gets how many schollies. I dont pretend to know how the decisions are made to divvy up the athletic scholarships, but they do have to be made. Find out who those people are and lobby them. Or better yet, earmark your Terrier Club donations for the baseball team and not for the Terrier Club to use at their discretion.

Also remember that any baseball player that is awarded an athletic scholarship will get at least a 25% scholarship.
wocogoose94

Postby SC_Terrier on Fri May 14, 2010 2:43 pm

Wocogoose94 - I'm not sure about your last comment. Obviously no-one is lucky enough to get a full ride on a baseball scholarship so it almost always has to be broken down between academic money and athletic. But, for the most part only a few players receive (or received) more than a few thousand dollars in athletic scholarship money. In fact, it became noticeable in 2007 when we signed Gilmartin (who I think got a 1/2 scholarship) and there was less money to go around to the other recruits. And the 25% number would only cover a maximum of 16 players, assuming that we still only have four scholarships.
SC_Terrier

Postby watdog on Fri May 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Heck..... Just focus recruiting on student athletes with parents that have deep pockets. They want care if they receive a couple of grand given wofford costs 40k plus per yr
watdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Fri May 14, 2010 10:57 pm

There is a new rule in college baseball that either started this year or last. Before the new rule, a kid could get an athletic schollie equal to less that 25% of a full schollie. Basically you could spread the money among more individuals by giving any percentage of a schollie. Now, if a kid gets an athletic schollie for baseball, they have to get an amount equivalent to at least 25% of a full schollie.

For argument's sake, if Wofford has 5 schollies for baseball, the maximum number of players that the equivalent schollie money can be spread among is 20.
wocogoose94

Postby dialing8 on Fri May 14, 2010 11:47 pm

wocogoose94 wrote:There is a new rule in college baseball that either started this year or last. Before the new rule, a kid could get an athletic schollie equal to less that 25% of a full schollie. Basically you could spread the money among more individuals by giving any percentage of a schollie. Now, if a kid gets an athletic schollie for baseball, they have to get an amount equivalent to at least 25% of a full schollie.

For argument's sake, if Wofford has 5 schollies for baseball, the maximum number of players that the equivalent schollie money can be spread among is 20.

First of all Wofford does not have 5. Then consider that pitchers demand more than 25%. Why shouldn't they. The teams with the money offer 50+ %.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby blitz4 on Sat May 15, 2010 1:33 am

Pitching is VERY BAD, i dont care what scholarship level you are talking about. Surely our expectations are better than this crap. I would love to see our baseball team do well, bottom line is that they aint close!!! Our hitting can win us games, but our pitching and defense is horrible!!!
blitz4

Next

Return to Baseball