Terriers 9 Pittsburgh 8

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Terriers 9 Pittsburgh 8

Postby terriers on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:43 pm

This puts a little salve on the wound. Mac Doyle singles in the winning run in the bottom of the 10th.
GO TERRIERS!
terriers

Re: Terriers 9 Pittsburgh 8

Postby woffordgrad94 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:06 pm

While it was nice to get the win and avoid a sweep, it is still quite disheartening that:

1) We gave up a total of 33 runs (or 11 a game) to a Pitt squad that probably has had little or no real batting practice.
2) We scored 9 runs, but still only won by 1 and needed extra innings to do so.

The turth is, our pitching is really, really suspect (to be polite) at this point. You have to wonder how these guys will ever get SoCon hitters out with any consistency at all. I know some of you guys love bseball and love this team and really want to defend them with all you have. That is okay and is even honorable on some levels. As for me, I like baseball and I would like to see basebll become a winning program at Wofford. But objectively, I just cannot see how anyone can look at how this pitching staff has performed so far and predict any kind of SoCon success. Pitching is 80-90 percent of baseball. I know three games do not make a season, but unfortunately, the pitching quality we saw against Pitt has been par for the course throughout pretty much the entire D-1 era at Wofford. Maybe we should just spend all our alloted baseball scholaships on pitchers and just try to convince some hitters to come on financial aid and/or academic schollies. But we probably cannot realistically do that, so I can't claim to really have any answers or solutions.
woffordgrad94
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:29 am

Great win...something to build on!
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:33 am

agreed...mac doyles swing looks much improved from last year. he appears to be shorter to the ball this yr which is only going to help him be more productive at the plate. i would like to see our club cut down on the punch outs though this yr. we have way too many already as it is. 32 to be exact. we dont even have that many hits yet. our inf is very tough to play on, and if we cant find a way to make better 2 k contact, then i feel we will be more productive thus allowing us to win more ball games

also about our pitching. it has always been suspect, and it will remain that way until we are better funded, but nonetheless, all we need our pitching to do is keep us in the ball game. we play in a hitters league and a hitters park. if we can give up 5 or less runs a game, then i like our chances. with the personnel we have, that should be a goal of this teams staff.
reggie warren jr

Return to Baseball