Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Recruiting Info?

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:31 pm

Hello Everyone.

I used to be a regular on AGS until computer issues and a busy work schedule got me out of the habit. Anyway, I should be back there and am glad to find that this board has filled what used to be a glaring void. Thanks to all involved for devoting the effort and resources to create such a nice forum.

Now, on to my question. Since I do not live near Spartanburg or even within the footprint of the SoCon for that matter, has there been any info floating around regarding how this year's recruiting is going? All I've seen is that we are in the mix on a few guys, but nothing either definative or concrete. I'd be interested in any information anyone might have.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:23 am

It's rare that anything about recruiting is discussed other than I-A schools in the papers around here. Here's the last few Wofford mentions on palmettosports.com:

Broome DE Waiting On Major Offer
DE Teriall Brannon (6-4 223) of Broome is very close to an offer from Vanderbilt according to his coach Quay Farr, and if he's offered, he will commit to the Commodores. Brannon has offers fromWofford, Furman and Coastal Carolina. He can also play tight end.

Beaufort LB Has Two Offers
LB Aaron Smalls (6-0 215) has offers from Furman and Wofford at this point. He's also getting some contact from USC, Clemson, Harvard and Princeton. Last season Smalls totaled 80 tackles with 5 for losses and 3 sacks. Through eight games of this season he had 45 tackles with 3 for losses and 2 sacks.

Several Schools Like Brandon Gantt
By Phil Kornblut
Heathwood Hall QB Brandon Gantt (6-1 183) is off to another impressive start. Through five games he's passed for 1050 yards and 12 touchdowns and has rushed for over 500 yards and 4 touchdowns. Gantt has now gone over 8000 career yards for his career and accounted for 81 touchdowns. Gantt said he's getting the strongest interest from Middle Tennessee State, Marshall, Akron and East Carolina. He's also hearing from USC, Clemson, Wake Forest, Illinois, Furman and Wofford. He's had calls this month from Furman, Marshall and Akron. Gantt plans to take unofficial visits to Furman, Marshall, Middle Tenessee, Wake Forest and Wofford. Gannt said USC likes him as a quarterback and Clemson likes him as a defensive back. He does not have a favorite.

Conway Tiger OL Getting 1-2A Interest
Conway coach Chuck Jordan said his big OL Alex Wolfe (6-5 245) is getting serious interest from Wofford, The Citadel, Coastal Carolina and James Madison right now. Jordan said the Shrine Bowl coaches have been impressed with what they've seen of Wolfe who he said is very athletic and has good feet.

Belton-Honea Path DB Stephen Culbertson (6-1 187) had 9 interceptions last season. Belton-Honea Path coach Wayne Green says Culbertson is on USC's recruiting board and the Gamecocks are evaluating him. He's also getting interest from North Carolina, Furman, Wofford and Middle Tennessee State.

Irmo ATH Drawing Interest
By Phil Kornblut
Steve Davitte (5-9 168) plays quarterback at Irmo High School but because of his size, schools like him more for receiver. He is getting some interest from Alabama, Kentucky, Furman, Wake Forest, Duke, Wofford, Navy, Citadel, NC State and Virginia. Davitte camped this summer at Ole Miss, Kentucky, Alabama, Duke, Wake Forest and Furman. He has not been offered. Last season Davitte rushed for 906 yards and 8 touchdowns and passed for 600 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Adams Still Pondering Options
By Phil Kornblut
OL Eddie Adams (6-4 260) of Greenwood can walk on at Clemson in January as a deep snapper and compete for a scholarship in future years. And while that's an appealing option, Adams is not ready to commit to that course of action. "I've always been a Clemson fans, that's where I want to play," he said. "Clemson has said I can compete for regular playing time. They told me I should have no trouble starting as a freshman as a long snapper. But I'm going to wait and see if I get any offers." Adams said Furman and Wofford appear close to offering. Adams plays center but was impressive as a deep snapper at Clemson's camp turning in snap times of .64 and .65, well below the college average on placements.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby woffwoff on Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Not that the season is over but there will be a big hole at right tackle and nose. are there men ready to step up?
woffwoff

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:37 am

Thanks for the information and heads up on palmettosports.com. Hopefully more will be available in the coming weeks.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football