big three

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

big three

Postby gofurman on Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:22 pm

the big three i think will finish as the top three again this year...kudos to woff on joining that group some - and bringing the socon another good team - but i do not think this year woff will be in the top three...
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Re: big three

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:29 pm

gofurman wrote:the big three i think will finish as the top three again this year...kudos to woff on joining that group some - and bringing the socon another good team - but i do not think this year woff will be in the top three...

Parity is making the rounds in I-AA, and the SoCon is no exception. The days of "the big three" looking past the rest of us are over, as is the case with Western and Furman, GSU and Wofford, and Wofford with Chatt. (or last year App with Chat/Western) The times they are a changin'
Maybe not fast enough for some of us though...
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:52 pm

Maybe it's becoming the "Big 3" (Furman, GSU, and ASU) and the "Medium 3" (Wofford, Western, and Chattanooga).

Or, if Wofford can pull the upset in Greenville in a few weeks it could be the "Big 3.5"
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:29 pm

Big Three my butt, has anyone cared to look at the Southern Conference Records the past three years-Who is the winningest team?

That's right...Wofford!

Wofford 29-8 overall, 18-5 Conference
GSU 27-10 overall, 18-5 Conference
Furman 24-12 overall, 16-7 Conference
App State 21-13 overall, 16-7 Conference

Since 2002 Wofford vs. "The Big Three"
GSU-3-1
Fur-1-3
ASU-2-2

I don't know how much more we have to prove before we are considered a top teir team in the little World of the "Big Three"...I bet those folks in Statesboro recognize there's more than the big three in this conference
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby terrierbob on Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:45 pm

sic 'em BT
terrierbob

Big 3

Postby tom189 on Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:28 pm

Last SOCON to national semifinals = Wofford
Last undefeated (in conference)regular season SOCON team = Wofford (and I think only undefeated SOCON season since Wofford joined)
Last sole champion, not co-Champion=Wofford
GSU and Wofford are only 2 teams to have won championship outright since Wofford joined
Furman has won 1 playoff game since 02; App zero
tom189

Postby gofurman on Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:00 pm

BossTerrier wrote:Big Three my butt, has anyone cared to look at the Southern Conference Records the past three years-Who is the winningest team?

That's right...Wofford!

Wofford 29-8 overall, 18-5 Conference
GSU 27-10 overall, 18-5 Conference
Furman 24-12 overall, 16-7 Conference
App State 21-13 overall, 16-7 Conference

Since 2002 Wofford vs. "The Big Three"
GSU-3-1
Fur-1-3
ASU-2-2

I don't know how much more we have to prove before we are considered a top teir team in the little World of the "Big Three"...I bet those folks in Statesboro recognize there's more than the big three in this conference

i see your point but if we win this year..A BIG IF..then you are 1-4 against us (and that is in your selected time frame)...i k now that kills mike a. ....i can tell he wants to beat us bad,...good luck against western - i hope you win...but yes, i see your point that you hae done well against the big three as a whole recently...the only thing i would say is let's not be too selective in years - when did you all join the socon? '97?...i would point out also the number of years in the playoffs since you joined socon...we have been (i am guessing) about 5 times since 99...haven't you all only been once or twice? and someone mentioned socon titles - i give you credit for an outright title but a co-title is still a title and ....also, to the point of playoff victories this is what i mean abouit being selective in years, someone mentioned playoff victories since '02 - well if you go back one more to 2001 we have to add three to furman's total since we went to the title game that year (which i think is more than you guys have total?)...look, i am not trying to heckle on your board - i honestly pull for you guys most of the time...but let's not just look at selective years...i would like to know what year you were in the socon and playoff eligible? 97? 98?
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:56 am

Selective Years...Playoffs, whatever....

How about these stats:

Wofford is the smallest school in Division I-AA, and have only been Division I since 1997, playing in the toughest I-AA football conference in America-

Wofford's record is 39-29 in SoCon Games since joining the league.

Take a look at Furman's first 8 yrs in the league (1936-1946) No team in 1943 so I used 1946

31-38 .449

Wofford's First 8 yrs in the league (1997-2004)

58-38 .604

I think that these are comparable stats-

There is no doubt that Wofford has had a faster rise to the top than any other team that both rose to D-I and joined the conference within a three year span.

Nobody is disputing Furman's history...But I will say that it took you 52 years to win a national title after joining the league. Wofford was one team away in 2003. This is about the fact that Wofford doesn't have to do anything else to prove it is in the upper eschelon of SoCon Football, regardless who wins in two weeks. We've made our case.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby gofurman on Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:24 pm

BossTerrier wrote:Selective Years...Playoffs, whatever....

How about these stats:

Wofford is the smallest school in Division I-AA, and have only been Division I since 1997, playing in the toughest I-AA football conference in America-

Wofford's record is 39-29 in SoCon Games since joining the league.

Take a look at Furman's first 8 yrs in the league (1936-1946) No team in 1943 so I used 1946

31-38 .449

Wofford's First 8 yrs in the league (1997-2004)

58-38 .604

I think that these are comparable stats-

There is no doubt that Wofford has had a faster rise to the top than any other team that both rose to D-I and joined the conference within a three year span.

Nobody is disputing Furman's history...But I will say that it took you 52 years to win a national title after joining the league. Wofford was one team away in 2003. This is about the fact that Wofford doesn't have to do anything else to prove it is in the upper eschelon of SoCon Football, regardless who wins in two weeks. We've made our case.

so it was 97...ok, thanks for the info...again, to be objective:

31-38 .449 -....hmm... wouldn't that have been against the likes of the acc and sec schools who played in the socon then? you might want to say our first eight years in 1aa (82-90)vs your first in 1aa (97-05)...we won national title (88) and played for another (85)...look, i am willing to let this go bc this not a fu/woff debate but a 'whether you are big three material' debate...and what i will say is you are far better now than i thought you would be and i am glad you have brought another quality team to the conference...we need 5 or six quality teams to quit with all this great a-10 conference talk ...because they are better than us socon guys right now :(
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:52 am

Points well taken on both sides, but I don't think Wofford can truly say it has become equal with the likes of Furman, GSU, and Appalachian until it sustains the success of the last 3+ years for a few more seasons and makes a few more playoff appearances like those programs have.

I yearn for respect and acceptance as much as the next Terrier fan because I know we have advanced well past the days when Wofford was little more than an immediate substitute on the schedule for departed Marshall. Any discussion of SoCon football now should rightfully include the Terriers as the fourth most prominent program, but saying that Wofford has reached an even footing with the Big 3 can not yet be supported.

Wofford has proven it can build a program that can compete and win at this level. Now, it must show that it can sustain that level of success. When the Terriers turn 3+ strong seasons into 8-10 strong seaosns and have 4-5 wins against the Big 3 and several playoff appearances with deep runs, then I think we SoCon fans will have a Big 4 to talk about.

Until then, I believe Wofford fans should be proud to cheer for a great upcoming program and revel in our perennial underdog role which frequently allows us to fly under the radar.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woffwoff on Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:27 am

More wins+More playoffs = better recuiting classes I think many recruits will look at the past five years and see that they can be part of making Wofford
the top team in the socon. What is great about the players and the coaches is that they play and practice knowing they will be socon champ again soon.
woffwoff

Return to Football