let's put the cards on the table

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

let's put the cards on the table

Postby dungeonjoe on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:55 pm

what will the football team do this year? I saw one preview guide that had us at 6th, ahead of Elon and Citadel. What are your expectations for this season?

I think a lot will depend on the o-line and the qb.

I would like to go 8 and 3 for the season. We really need to crack the big three hold to get anywhere and at the same time not slip up against the rest of the SoCon pack and our OOC schedule. For the carolina game, I would like to do well but mainly not get injured.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:56 pm

I agree about the OL and QB play. I think that's what kept killing drives last year which often lead to the defense being tired by the end of the game which caused problems.

Record wise, I'm not sure what to expect. If they come out of the gate well and win against Coastal and SC State, then 7 or 8 wins are a good possibility. If they stumble in these games, then lose to South Carolina, and are 0-3 going into the Furman game which they will be underdogs at best. If they lose that, they'd be 0-4 with no momentum which would be an awfully tough situation to envision even a winning season from.

So, I'd say the first two games will dictate where this season goes and that Wofford could end up anywhere from 9-2 to 3-8 with either scenario almost equally as likely.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby linebackerbacker on Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:14 am

It would be a better conversation if there were any kind of preview on the web page. There is a thread earlier about the web page and the lack of real information. Want to play with the big boys, gotta look like a big boy. If I were a recruit, which, by the way I never was, I would think we look small time. Any idea when we might see an updated web page? A fall preview? A roster? When does fall practice start? Who is coming back? How is KJ going to fit back in? The QB situation is great. Two guys that play the position well, and differently. That is a great position to be in. The O-line has some returning guys, don't know much about them. The Defense needs to work on speed. We are going to have to defend the pass like never before. If we can't do that we are looking at 3 wins at most. If we can defend the pass, and use our QB's to their strength I think the little dogs are going to surprise the heck out of the competition.
linebackerbacker

Postby scstatealum on Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:34 am

I think that you guys will do well this season. I think you have some young guys that will step it up this year. I just hope they don't step it up against SCSU.

I have always been a fan of Woffords programs. I am sure that you guys will figure out how to win 8 or 9 games, like you do every season. Good luck to you

http://scstate.blogspot.com/2006/07/scs ... sfers.html
scstatealum

Web site/"Wofford Way?"

Postby Capcity on Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:03 pm

I,too, am surprised the website has not been updated since the spring.
When you look at App's, or Furman's, the websites are well designed and appear to have new info on a near daily basis.

Is the lack of a great looking, interactive, updated website part of "The Wofford Way"? What exactly is "The Wofford Way"??
Just curious-looking for answers..
Capcity

Postby fgs44 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:29 am

There is a fine line between mediocrity and good---A missed assignment here, or a key injury there----Execution in our offense is critical---no one predicted that we would run the table after our opening loss to Air force in 03, but we did because we played mistake free football, few turn-overs, and created a lot of turn-overs for the opposition---I think our coaching staff does an outstanding job in preparing our guys to play at a high level, so even though we have some question marks in the offensive line, and nose tackle, I expect us to be very good, and that the kids will answer the challenge---I think we have kids at the skill positions that can be gamebreakers---Dane Romero being at running back gives us an added dimension that we should take advantage of since he can throw the ball---KJ and Hobbs, look to be very good. The tight end position with Fenn Allen gives us an added weapon that may have not been there in the past with his combination of athleticism and speed---Wide receiver is deep and has good speed----The secondary looks experienced and strong to me, as does the lb's---Defensive end in the 3-4 looks good with depth.
Everyone else expects to be as good or not better----Chattanooga and Western both expect to be better---The thing about competion is that everyone else has the same goals as we do---So we might be better, but so could the competiton---Furman and App State will be as competitve as always---GSU, could be very good, but they do have a huge question mark at qb---not much experience and a new offense---I expect them to always be a dominant force in the league, but it may take awhile under the new regime---
The fun thing about college football is that you just don't know how its all going to turn-out until the games are played---Winning the first two will be important, but its not all that matters---once upon a time Wofford lost its first two games of the season, and then won 20 in a row under Jim Brakefield-----
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:30 pm

fgs44 wrote:There is a fine line between mediocrity and good---A missed assignment here, or a key injury there----Execution in our offense is critical---no one predicted that we would run the table after our opening loss to Air force in 03, but we did because we played mistake free football, few turn-overs, and created a lot of turn-overs for the opposition---I think our coaching staff does an outstanding job in preparing our guys to play at a high level, so even though we have some question marks in the offensive line, and nose tackle, I expect us to be very good, and that the kids will answer the challenge---I think we have kids at the skill positions that can be gamebreakers---Dane Romero being at running back gives us an added dimension that we should take advantage of since he can throw the ball---KJ and Hobbs, look to be very good. The tight end position with Fenn Allen gives us an added weapon that may have not been there in the past with his combination of athleticism and speed---Wide receiver is deep and has good speed----The secondary looks experienced and strong to me, as does the lb's---Defensive end in the 3-4 looks good with depth.
Everyone else expects to be as good or not better----Chattanooga and Western both expect to be better---The thing about competion is that everyone else has the same goals as we do---So we might be better, but so could the competiton---Furman and App State will be as competitve as always---GSU, could be very good, but they do have a huge question mark at qb---not much experience and a new offense---I expect them to always be a dominant force in the league, but it may take awhile under the new regime---
The fun thing about college football is that you just don't know how its all going to turn-out until the games are played---Winning the first two will be important, but its not all that matters---once upon a time Wofford lost its first two games of the season, and then won 20 in a row under Jim Brakefield-----

Jim Brakefield's third game wasn't against USC. We loose the first two, the season's over. 0-3 going into the Furman game is not what we need to do. 1-2 gives us a chance with having some confidence, and 2-1 will be huge.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby walliver on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:49 pm

Jim Brakefield's third game wasn't against USC. We loose the first two, the season's over. 0-3 going into the Furman game is not what we need to do. 1-2 gives us a chance with having some confidence, and 2-1 will be huge.

3-0 would be huger :D

I figure we should win at least one of the first two. I am worrying more about SC State than Coastal. Hopefully, Coastal has seen nothing quite like our offense so that should give us a little advantage.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football