What is the "Wofford Way"?

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

What is the "Wofford Way"?

Postby Capcity on Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:20 pm

I've seen a couple of posts on this board referring to the "Wofford Way".
What is that exactly?
Thanks-
Capcity

Postby walliver on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:47 pm

The "Wofford Way" is one of those things you know when you see it, but it is hard to define. Generally, it is something done is a way which is not always the usual way of doing things, and makes little sense to the non-initiated.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:24 am

Well defined, Walliver. I think of the Wofford Way as the defining personality of Wofford. It's that spark of difference between Wofford and other schools and encompasses everything from the way every one says hello while walking around campus to the way that graduation rates and academic performance are emphasized over wins and losses. In some ways, it's a hinderance and an inconvenience but overall the personality and uniqueness is worth it.

My only beef with it is that so long as a program is graduation players and having no problems off the field it is deemed a success irregardless of on the field achievement. I don't want to sell our soul for wins, but continued underperformance has to be reversed after some time. None of us are allowed to be nice guys but not excel at our jobs, so why should Wofford coaches. I don't want to be a 3-4 years an out school like others, but after a certain amount of time a pattern can be seen and should be dealt with.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Capcity on Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:17 pm

Is there a "comfort zone" factor there with the long tenured head coach and staff(many who ploayed for Wofford)? You know, win a few to keep the alum$ happy, graduate kids, and pick up a paycheck.

Is there a hunger and desire to climb the mountain again to win another championship?
Capcity

Postby Rowdy on Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:26 am

Capcity,

I don't see a "comfort zone" in our football program. Mike and staff do more with less than any other program in college football. And do it consistently. We're operating on 48 athletic schlorships versus almost everyone elses 63. Yea, we have a few on academic schlorship, but all the rest do as well (if they recruited kids who were academically gifted as well as football gifted). And with this built in disadvantage, Wofford has consistently won games against the best teams in 1-AA. And each year we got better than the previous year (2005 being the exception). I don't call that a comfort zone.
Rowdy

Return to Football