Southern Conference Expansion

General Discussion

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Southern Conference Expansion

Postby gomocs82 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:19 pm

What does Wofford want to see in the way of expansion?

I guess we at Chattanooga are looking closely at this as we consider the OVC.

Check out mocfans.com when you get a chance.
gomocs82

Re: Southern Conference Expansion

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:35 pm

gomocs82 wrote:What does Wofford want to see in the way of expansion?

I guess we at Chattanooga are looking closely at this as we consider the OVC.

Check out mocfans.com when you get a chance.

I hope we can expand the SoCon footprint to the west beyond SC/NC/GA
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Go West

Postby gomocs82 on Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:26 am

That would be great, but almost all the teams mentioned are in SC/NC. Coastal Carolina, UNCW, VMI returns, S.C. State, N.C. A&T, Kennesaw St (Atlanta--big market), Gardner Webb, etc....
gomocs82

Postby walliver on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:21 pm

I would like to see Samford and Jacksonville State (We need to get revenge for the D-II whoppings in Jacksonville). Actually, I would really like to see Davidson play scholarship football again, but I'm not holding my breath.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:52 pm

Football schools: Hampton, Samford, SC State, Coastal, Jacksonville State, VMI. I would prefer Hampton and Samford/Jacksonville State just to get the conference in new markets.

Non-Football schools: UNC-W would be a great add and I would prefer Georgia State over Kennesaw State for the Atlanta market.

How much longer will Georgia Southern and App State stay I-AA?
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:19 pm

Tons of uncertainty surrounds the subject of SoCon expansion. Since I live out of the SoCon footprint, I don't see much except in places llike this, but I guess the main thing before we discuss what schools might be added is to determine which schools might be lost.

Appalachian seems to be interested in moving to the Sun Belt and I-A. Georgia Southern may be interested in following, but I think they are more content being a big fish in the smaller I-AA pond. Chattanooga seems interested in exploring the OVC.

If all or some of those schools are lost, what would the SoCon do to maintain it's automatic playoff bid? A situation like that would make quick poaching from the Big South and/or OVC a necessity.

My preference would be keep things the same, drop the three non-football schools, and add four football schools. Maybe Jacksonville St. and Samford to move further west and two Virginia schools like W&M, Richmond, James Madison or VMI to get back into those markets. That's not likely to happen, but an arrangement like that would be unquestionably the best football conference in the country.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

SoCOn

Postby gomocs82 on Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:57 pm

UTC is staying.
Samford announced it is happy in the OVC. http://p197.ezboard.com/fmoctalkfrm9.sh ... =545.topic

Georgia State with football would be a great add for the conference (Atlanta market).

Jacksonville State, Tennessee Tech, Eastern Kentucky would be good schools to add.
gomocs82

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:41 pm

Any more info on expansion? Since I don't get much SoCon info being out of the area, I wondered if anything else had surfaced.

Also, I've seen some stuff saying that ETSU is strongly working on a new stadium (anything would be better than the Mini Dome) and restarting its program. Maybe this is why the SoCon is dragging its feet on expansion hoping to get the Bucs back in the fold.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby The Cats on Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:44 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:My preference would be keep things the same, drop the three non-football schools, and add four football schools. Maybe Jacksonville St. and Samford to move further west and two Virginia schools like W&M, Richmond, James Madison or VMI to get back into those markets. That's not likely to happen, but an arrangement like that would be unquestionably the best football conference in the country.

I'd agree on dropping the non-football schools.

I'd also like to see the conference footprint enlarged, but when you do that, it will also increases travel expenses a great deal, especially in the non-revenue sports (I don't think a majority of the schools will vote to do that). I'd like VMI back, but don't think they're interested. I think any schools that are picked up will be in either NC or SC.
The Cats
Junior Terrier

Return to Off Topic Conversations