Greg Marshall to CoC???

SoCon Champs - 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Greg Marshall to CoC???

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:19 am

Winthrop to CoC? Not much difference between the two on the surface in my mind. Is this a lateral move or is CoC that much more attractive than Winthrop?

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?news ... ion=sports
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:44 am

Not in my book, but CofC may have more money to offer and C'town is just a bit more attractive than Rock Hill. If I were him, I'd stay to make the leap to a mid-level D-1A program.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:47 pm

I read the Charleston article with interest. Both the Winthrop and C of C salaries seen pretty high for mid-majors. Is Wofford able to pay that kind of money? I would be suprised if we do. Also, following the discussion on the football forum, how many schlorships do we offer in mens basketball? And what is the NCAA max? What about the women?
Rowdy

Postby BossTerrier on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:10 pm

Ruckus wrote:Not in my book, but CofC may have more money to offer and C'town is just a bit more attractive than Rock Hill. If I were him, I'd stay to make the leap to a mid-level D-1A program.

I live in Charleston and this past weekend the Post and Courier ranked the coaches that are in the running for this job. Mike Young was listed at 15-1 odds and the Post and Courier had alot of positives on him, stating he should get a call from C of C but won't. It would be too hard to pry him away from a comfortable post at Wofford.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BestOfBreed on Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:25 pm

http://www.charleston.net/stories/?sect ... wsID=94970

Marshall to coach Cougars

BY DAVID CARAVIELLO
The Post and Courier

Gregg Marshall is coming home.

The former College of Charleston assistant, who led Winthrop to six NCAA Tournament berths in eight seasons, has accepted an offer to become the Cougars' new head basketball coach and will be introduced in a 2 p.m. press conference today, The Post and Courier has learned. Attorneys for Marshall and the College worked into Tuesday night to finalize the deal that will bring the Greenwood native back to Charleston, where he worked for eight years under John Kresse.

"I see the opportunity for tremendous growth in this College of Charleston program," Marshall said Tuesday night from Rock Hill, "and ideally, we want to get it back to its rightful place in the basketball hierarchy."

Marshall will replace Tom Herrion, who was dismissed earlier this month after going 80-38 but reaching the postseason only once in four years. The school's top choice for the job, Marshall was the only candidate officially contacted by the College, and on Tuesday morning was given the unanimous support of Charleston's nine-member search committee.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:13 am

I have learned CofC is about to pour a king's ransom into a new arena and their program. Good for the SoCon but probably bad for Wofford.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Men's Basketball