Almost got another offensive lineman

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Almost got another offensive lineman

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:45 pm

I saw this the other day but forgot to post it. Looks like we almost picked up another offensive lineman for this fall. I wasn't able to find out any info on him on any of the recruiting boards though. I guess it's good to see the Terriers still out there looking.

From the Lexington Herald-Leader:
UK walk-on has famous bloodlines

Kentucky made one of its all-time recruiting gaffes when it didn't seriously recruit 1994 Kentucky Mr. Football Shaun Alexander. Alexander signed with Alabama and has become one of the premier backs in the NFL for the Seattle Seahawks.

While it might not make up for the snafu, the Wildcats will have a first cousin of Alexander on its roster next fall. Marcus Davis, a 6-foot-2, 275-pound offensive lineman from Boone County, will join the Wildcats as a non-scholarship player.

Davis said he had accepted a scholarship offer from Wofford when he was contacted by UK running backs coach Ron Caragher. Davis will be a center.

"I really think I can play at the Division I-A level, so I'm glad it worked out," Davis said. "They really don't have a lot of depth at center, and they've been moving guards in there, so I might have an opportunity if I come in and work hard. Plus, (UK senior) Matt McCutchan is a great center, so I'll get to learn a lot from him."

Davis and Alexander's mothers are sisters, and not surprisingly, Davis is a die-hard Seahawks fan.

"I was pretty angry watching the Super Bowl," he said. "But they'll be fine. They'll be back next year."

Full article:
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sp ... 848416.htm
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby walliver on Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:48 pm

It's a shame he turned down a Wofford scholarship to play walk-on football at a basketball school.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:00 am

Hey, don't blame a kid for trying. He is obviously a 'Cats fan and wants to stay close to home. We should wish him the best of luck. I'd rather him switch now rather than come in and take a spot we could use for someone who will stay.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terriertime on Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:23 am

This kid screwed up big time. He is not a 1-A player, and will never be more than a scout-teamer.
Terriertime

Return to Football