How many scholarships do you all offer ?

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

How many scholarships do you all offer ?

Postby gofurman on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:10 pm

How many schollies do you offer? Anyone know? I am pretty sure FU gives 60 (full 1aa complement is 63). GSU will be losing 5 for their lack of graduation :)

I saw this from Rowdy:
'I'm not challenging terriertime on the fact that this wolf kid from Conway was offered a full ride from Wofford, but how do we , as fans, know? I've never seen any information from any source that said an offer was a full schlorship or a partial. Also, knowing that we have less than 50 full football schlorships, and knowing we had something like 20 recruits accepting offers this season, and knowing that there are 60 to 70 kids in Spring pratice, how does everyone get a full ride??? Just wondering here in Charlotte. javascript:emoticon('')
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:15 am

I don't know the answer for sure, but I think it is in the neighborhood of 43 or 44 full scholarships, and then on top of that there are some academic scholarships that are awarded to football players that gets the full complement up in the 50's somewhere. Some of those scholarships are partial, but I don't know how many---If anyone knows for sure, I would like to know myself----
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:30 pm

I saw the number somewhere and if memory serves me, it's 48 football schlorships. Of course Mike recruits smart players and a few of them get full or partial academic schlorships. I would bet that we have fewer football players on schlorship than any other SoCon member.
Rowdy

Postby gofurman on Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:55 pm

i think elon offers 50 or so also
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:39 am

gofurman wrote:i think elon offers 50 or so also

Yea, but Elon Football sucks.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Ruckus on Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:38 am

I think 43 or 44 is correct, or was a few years ago. I can't imagine the total has increased substantially since. We do give football players academic money IF they qualify and some do. No way it's 50, but I would expect more than 50 players get help because of partials and academic money. Not a slight against anyone, but we do more with less than anyone. One more reason Mike and his staff are invaluable to us.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby gophoenix on Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:50 pm

We offer 60.

For the past 6 years, you are spot on. But that is about to change.
gophoenix

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:52 pm

gophoenix wrote:

We offer 60.

For the past 6 years, you are spot on. But that is about to change.

I hope so. It only helps the conference to have more competitive teams. Everyone was against bringing us into the SoCon at first, but look at what we've achieved. There are several longstanding members that would love to have our conference record. As for the Elon/Wofford Series, you guys must get tougher on Defense for a chance to beat us. Like us, you have a simlar challenge recruiting the all star talent, so to compensate for talent you have to have a strong team approach, like we do on offense. Since it will be hard to recruit skill talent, you've just got to get tougher in the trenches. I would envision alot of close, low scoring ballgames between us in the future. Good luck.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby gophoenix on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:51 pm

Well the first problem is getting a coach in who focuses on recruiting. Seagraves did it and then fell apart. Hamilton was just piss poor and ran the program into the ground.

You hear he took his son with him to Air Force to play football?
gophoenix

Postby fgs44 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:07 pm

Here is what I found out from someone who knows---We offer 48 full football scholarships----We also supplement through merit scholarships, academic aid of one sort or another, at least 10 more---to 58---It is a requirement to get a 1-a game to have at least 58 football players on some sort of scholarships----Of those 58, I don't have any idea if they are split up into partials, or not----There is a drive about to get underway to get some additional endowed scholarship funding---Some individuals are going to commit several million dollars to match contributions at least two to one if not more-----
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:55 am

fgs44 wrote:Here is what I found out from someone who knows---We offer 48 full football scholarships----We also supplement through merit scholarships, academic aid of one sort or another, at least 10 more---to 58---It is a requirement to get a 1-a game to have at least 58 football players on some sort of scholarships----Of those 58, I don't have any idea if they are split up into partials, or not----There is a drive about to get underway to get some additional endowed scholarship funding---Some individuals are going to commit several million dollars to match contributions at least two to one if not more-----

THANKS A LOT> and that is a good point about the 58 for 1A...I think the 58 requirement is so the 1A team can count the game towards bowl eligibility (assuming they win :)
go paladins
88' national champions
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football