I-AA football coverage

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2017
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016, 2017

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby tom189 on Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:30 am

Just remember most of these so called experts have never or rarely seen the Terriers play, no nothing about us, look for reasons why we aren't any good, and still think our record from 2002 forward is a fluke. Most of these "national" columnists, ie David Coulson, are rabid homers for the teams they cover.
tom189

Postby Tex on Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:28 pm

Tom, that may be true.

Most football writers are slow learners. They're bright, sure, but they are considering what they've experienced over many years. It will take Wofford many years of winning records to get their attention. (And you should make a careful judgment about considering Coulson or Ralph to be experts. Always look at the motive.)

More importantly, Wofford and Furman are severely diminished by obvious market forces. We're simply too small to attract the audience writers and advertisers require. Wofford has what, eight to ten alumi? Furman has thirteen alums, and one of them isn't feeling well. Big state schools like Appalachian have more alums than there people on the planet. Who would you market to?

Anywho, I've got to go to the airport and catch a flight to the Glitterville-Sparklebury Airport. Lookin' forward to having a Phat Dog down in Powdersville. Oh, and I'm really drunk right now.
Tex

Postby ralph on Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:07 pm

tom189 wrote:Just remember most of these so called experts have never or rarely seen the Terriers play, no nothing about us, look for reasons why we aren't any good, and still think our record from 2002 forward is a fluke. Most of these "national" columnists, ie David Coulson, are rabid homers for the teams they cover.
I am a newbie and this is my first post but I'd like to weigh in on this opinion.

There is no national columnist that knows more about the Terriers than Coulson and he covers all of I-AA not just a weekly article he writes for the Charlotte Observer on App. If anyone wants reasons why the Terriers are no good just ask your coach who weekly at the media conference tells why his team will lose. I-AA.org named Ayers coach of the year, guess they must hate him huh? Read their magazine SoCon coverage before you go off making wild general statements. I think the couple of national I-AA columnists are pretty astute fellows and Coulson in particular watches 20+ games a week. Ask your SID if Coulson knows what he's talking about if you think I'm biased.

BTW, nice board and I'm glad to see Terrier fans have an online home! :)
ralph

Postby dungeonjoe on Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:45 pm

[quote="ralph]I am a newbie and this is my first post but I'd like to weigh in on this opinion.

newbie??? :lol: glad to have you here, Ralph!

There is no national columnist that knows more about the Terriers than Coulson and he covers all of I-AA not just a weekly article he writes for the Charlotte Observer on App.

I have had my share of disagreements with Coulson in the past over his coverage of Wofford. We disgree on some things, but he is solid when it comes to I-AA. I think the face of the SoCon is changing and some columnists still hold to the old big three as one poster pointed out in another thread. Is Coulson one of those columnists? I am not sure.

If anyone wants reasons why the Terriers are no good just ask your coach who weekly at the media conference tells why his team will lose.

Ralph, you obviously hear/read the media excerpts so I will take your word on them. However, I think you are confusing "why his team will lose" with humility and respect for one's opponents. The Coach's past comments have been made into locker room wall fodder in key games; I am certain he is trying to keep that from happening again.

I-AA.org named Ayers coach of the year, guess they must hate him huh?

That doesn't really require a dignified response does it?

Read their magazine SoCon coverage before you go off making wild general statements.

I think everyone should read the magazine for great national coverage of all I-AA conferences.

I think the couple of national I-AA columnists are pretty astute fellows and Coulson in particular watches 20+ games a week.

[b]for the most part... :lol:

Ask your SID if Coulson knows what he's talking about if you think I'm biased.

you biased???--- I-AA all the way!

BTW, nice board and I'm glad to see Terrier fans have an online home! :)[/quote][b] glad to have you![/b]
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby ralph on Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:02 pm

Tex wrote:... And you should make a careful judgment about considering Coulson or Ralph to be experts. Always look at the motive... Oh, and I'm really drunk right now.
Really drunk "tex"... tell me what motive I or Coulson have? Waiting for your response... :roll:
ralph

Postby Tex on Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:33 am

ralph wrote:
Tex wrote:... And you should make a careful judgment about considering Coulson or Ralph to be experts. Always look at the motive... Oh, and I'm really drunk right now.
Really drunk "tex"... tell me what motive I or Coulson have? Waiting for your response... :roll:

Oh Ralph. Tis because I'm not in love with you anymore. I still love you; I'm just not IN love with you. I've grown. You don't know the inner me. Look, it's not me, and it's not you. It's all these women I want to sleep with.

Your motive could be simply making a going-concern. There's nothing wrong with that. Your style of going after that is a bit heavy-handed. Calling your website THE source of I-AA news is a definite turn-off. Worse, you seem to lack humility. Most people read to understand. They don't want to be told.

And your grammar is atrocious.
Tex

Postby ralph on Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:35 am

I-AA ALL THE WAY!

If anyone can't handle that... sorry, it is the message and there is no smack. Nearly 11K articles and seven magazines strong for free, no school is left out and it is only I-AA!!
ralph

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:54 am

I have split posts from the "Matt picks ASU" thread to this newly created one of I-AA football coverage, since this seeems to be a topic of some interest.

As I have said in a previous post, I think I-AA.org does a great job of covering I-AA football. Through I-AA.org and anygivensaturday.com, I have found out more about The Big Sky teams and the A-10 teams than I could have discovered on my own. The media outlets here in SC are obsessed with Clemson and Carolina, and rarely have any copy/time for our SC I-AA schools let alone national I-AA teams.

Furman, Wofford and any other SoCon school are just a few of dozens of I-AA schools covered by I-AA.org. Do we get enough coverage? Yes, in the scheme of things, we do.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:18 pm

Ralph, you obviously hear/read the media excerpts so I will take your word on them. However, I think you are confusing "why his team will lose" with humility and respect for one's opponents. The Coach's past comments have been made into locker room wall fodder in key games; I am certain he is trying to keep that from happening again.
'

i believe ayers guaranteed a win over furman one year....and lost :)...good luck against citad,. next week
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby ralph on Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:32 pm

gofurman wrote:i believe ayers guaranteed a win over furman one year....and lost :)...good luck against citad,. next week
Yeah but Ayers wasn't doing a Holtz IMO...
ralph

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:48 am

ralph wrote:
gofurman wrote:i believe ayers guaranteed a win over furman one year....and lost :)...good luck against citad,. next week
Yeah but Ayers wasn't doing a Holtz IMO...

not sure what you mean... besides I thought we didn't follow those non I-AA coaches :D (waitaminute he was at Bill and Mary wasn't he?)
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Tex on Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:18 am

ralph wrote:I-AA ALL THE WAY!

If anyone can't handle that... sorry, it is the message and there is no smack. Nearly 11K articles and seven magazines strong for free, no school is left out and it is only I-AA!!

There's a deadly sin that begins with a P.
Tex

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:25 am

Tex wrote:
ralph wrote:I-AA ALL THE WAY!

There's a deadly sin that begins with a P.

It looks like the Department of Religion at Furman is as formidable as the Athletic Department. :wink:
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby gofurman on Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:18 pm

by the way, i met ralph at a game, good guy...told me he liked to see the socon win in general...gets tired of hearing about the a-10...thas' a good man
go paladins
Socon's winningest program
88' national champions
85' 01' national finalists
gofurman
True Terrier Fan

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:59 pm

gofurman wrote:by the way, i met ralph at a game, good guy...told me he liked to see the socon win in general...gets tired of hearing about the a-10...thas' a good man

I understand he is going to the GSU-Furman game in acouple of weeks... should be a good SoCon showcase game.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Football