Upcoming Season

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Upcoming Season

Postby Terrier_Player3 on Thu May 04, 2006 4:45 pm

So, what is everyone's predicitions for Wofford's record this year. I am a player so I am a little biased when it comes to that. 15-0 sounds good to me. Just curious as to what everyone thinks.
Terrier_Player3

Postby walliver on Thu May 04, 2006 4:52 pm

I would love to see Steve Spurriers reaction when that happens.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terriertime on Thu May 04, 2006 6:04 pm

Logically:

We must win our first 2: 2-0 (against Coastal and SCSTU)

We can afford a loss to USC: 2-1

Our next three betwee Furman, Citadel and App. State: We need to win at least two of these. I would say Citadel is a must-win, and to get to the play-oofs we need to beat Furman or App. (Preferably Furman just because I hate them, they'll be at our place, and it will be early in the saeson and their QB will still hopefully be inexperienced.) So, after 5 weeks if we are 4-2,I will feel good about our play-off chances.

Our Next 2 games: Elon and Western: These games are must wins if we're going to the play-offs. Neither one will be a push over as Elon got an outstanding coach in Lembo and Western always got great athletes. Hopefully by this point in the season Western will have lost several close games in the preceeding weeks to our game, we'll score early, and they'll quit the way they did in 2003.

Georgia Southern: If we are 5-2 going to the 'boro on 11/4, this game will be huge. Probably not a must win if things go the way we hope; however, based on recent comments posted on our board, I think it's safe to assume we REALLY want to make it 4 out of 5 against them and their "Golden Boy"coach.

So, going into our final two games we will hopefully be 6-3 or 7-2. If we take care of business against UTC (which we should, they'll probably hve half their team locked up by this point in the season) and Gardner-Webb we should finish 8-3 or 9-2. This should be plenty enough to get us in the play-offs, which is all I want to do. Because as you can remember from 2003, once we get in, we're very dangerous. Teams aren't ready for the option and anything could happen! I hope it works out at least this well, if not better! Go Terriers!
Terriertime

Postby fgs44 on Thu May 04, 2006 6:58 pm

The goal is to win every game; realistically thats not going to happen year in and year out. I would suspect that each year when the team sets goals, one of them is probably to win the SoCon, because if you do that you get to the play-offs, which gives you a shot at the NC. To set up each year with a goal to win the NC is not realistic, despite the Ga So. faithful who think if they don't win a NC nothing has been accomplished.
I believe we should be capable of winning every game, but will be numerically and physically over-matched against SC. If our offense is clicking the way it can be, at times, for the entire game, w/o turn-overs then that helps us make up for being over-matched. Realistically though, we would have to have the game of the year, and SC would have to play poorly and turn the ball over multiple times----Stranger things have happened as evidenced this week by the baseball team
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terrier_Player3 on Thu May 04, 2006 8:49 pm

I agree. Realistically we will not go 15-0. If we play like I know we can week in and week out there is no reason we can't go at least 9-2. I feel without a doubt that we will do what we need to do to get into the playoffs and once we get there we will make a run for the whole thing. I just hope everyone will show up week in and week out to support us because nothing makes you play harder than when you have great fans getting lould for you. Thanks to you all who put forth an effort to come out and cheer for us.
Terrier_Player3

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri May 05, 2006 10:27 pm

8-3/9-2 is possible if everything comes together and falls the Terriers way. but, on the other hand, if Wofford comes out flat and sputters on offense like last year, they could easily be 0-3 heading into Furman. If that happens and things snowball Wofford could just as easily be looking at 3-8/4-7. I hope that doesn't happen, but it is equally as plausible to say that things will go poorly as that they will go well.

That being said, I think 9-2 gets Wofford in the playoffs, 8-3 is iffy depending on who the 3 losses are to. USC wouldn't hurt much, but the other two being to anyone outside of Georgia Southern, Appalachian, and Furman would likely keep the Terriers home in December as in 2002.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football