Thoughts on the baseball program

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Thoughts on the baseball program

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:14 pm

At the beginning of the year I thought that this years team would finish anywhere between 6th and 8th. Too much youth to win consistently. The injuries and inability to hit good pitching have dropped us to 10th. Much like basketball, it's been a disappointing year.

This is only the 3rd year for the new ballpark and Duncan Park had to make recruiting pretty tough prior to that. Couple that with the usual lack of funding and it probably hasn't made being competitive easy.

The arm injuries to pitchers are a problem. Not sure if it's just bad luck, overuse, or conditioning.

Traylor's only had 2 recruiting classes since we started playing in the new ballpark. The jury is still out on this year's class but last year's has been productive so far. Next years class looks pretty good too.

Thoughts?
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:26 pm

I'll admit that I don't follow Terrier baseball as closely as I should, but my general impression is that things have not been going well. I know there have been injuries and I know that Wofford generally competes at a disadvantage due to resources for recruiting and scholarships. Facilities shouldn't be a problem at this point and Coach Traylor has had success at the ACC level while at Duke (which has academic standards like Wofford as well as a budget less than it's peers).

Bearing all this in mind, I am troubled that Wofford is being destroyed in almost every game it plays, but, I would say that the circumstances make another year or two necessary to determine if the direction of the program is positive or negative. I'd say the same for the men's basketball program.

Hopefully, the program will turn the corner next season and make all this discussion irrelevant.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:46 am

As a Terrier baseball alum, let me add my 2 cents worth. Although I don't claim to have all the answers, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the state of our program. Baseball should be the one sport we should be competitive in as most programs (like us) are not fully funded, the local talent is good, the talent pool generally fits the academic requirements of Wofford better than other sports, and Wofford's facilities are now top notch and beautiful. I realize that in an odd year, bad luck can and will happen with injuries etc.; but this is a definite trend that warrants serious review. In my opinion, there is no excuse for the year in and year out performance by our team that is totally and completely uncompetitive. I am not expecting a SOCon ring every year or even upper echelon status. I am just talking about middle of the pack or .500 baseball. Just giving people a run for their money which has not been happening for one reason or another. We can all theorize the reasons but the bottom line is, somewhat like our basketball program (I say somewhat because our team played well down the stretch and had every opportunity to beat Clemson), we just don't/can't get it done -- every stinking year. I am embarrassed because I have fond memories of my playing days in the mid to late '80s when we were very competitive and routinely whipped SoCon teams and were competitive with ACC and Big South teams (in addition to playing league games v. USC-S, USC-A, Francis Marion, Erskine etc). I realize it is a new day but what concerns me the most is that I don't hear very good things about our present coach -- from players to former players to parents to competing coaches. We have problem that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later whether its this year or next or the next. I am afraid the outcome on the field won't really change. I will point out that our coaches stay at Duke wasn't a whole lot different with the exception of one or 2 years when they ran the tables in the ACC tourney. That said, every coach deserves enough time to establish his program, recruiting and setting the agenda. My only question is whether more time will really make a difference.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:53 am

Ruckus wrote:As a Terrier baseball alum, let me add my 2 cents worth. Although I don't claim to have all the answers, I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the state of our program. Baseball should be the one sport we should be competitive in as most programs (like us) are not fully funded, the local talent is good, the talent pool generally fits the academic requirements of Wofford better than other sports, and Wofford's facilities are now top notch and beautiful. I realize that in an odd year, bad luck can and will happen with injuries etc.; but this is a definite trend that warrants serious review. In my opinion, there is no excuse for the year in and year out performance by our team that is totally and completely uncompetitive. I am not expecting a SOCon ring every year or even upper echelon status. I am just talking about middle of the pack or .500 baseball. Just giving people a run for their money which has not been happening for one reason or another. We can all theorize the reasons but the bottom line is, somewhat like our basketball program (I say somewhat because our team played well down the stretch and had every opportunity to beat Clemson), we just don't/can't get it done -- every stinking year. I am embarrassed because I have fond memories of my playing days in the mid to late '80s when we were very competitive and routinely whipped SoCon teams and were competitive with ACC and Big South teams (in addition to playing league games v. USC-S, USC-A, Francis Marion, Erskine etc). I realize it is a new day but what concerns me the most is that I don't hear very good things about our present coach -- from players to former players to parents to competing coaches. We have problem that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later whether its this year or next or the next. I am afraid the outcome on the field won't really change. I will point out that our coaches stay at Duke wasn't a whole lot different with the exception of one or 2 years when they ran the tables in the ACC tourney. That said, every coach deserves enough time to establish his program, recruiting and setting the agenda. My only question is whether more time will really make a difference.

Heck, we couldn't even make the tournament until they allowed all teams in last year.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:48 pm

This is not meant to be a bankhanded jab to anyone involved, but how long has it been since Wofford had a winning season in baseball? Hasn't it been since like 1991 or something?

If anyone has this info, please post it.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby TDOG21 on Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:27 am

I do not think .500 ball in the Socon is an unreasonable request for the baseball team. I know that some people will always point to academics and lack of funding as excuses why we can't compete, but I do not buy those excuses. The thing that troubles me about the baseball program is that historically the players do not like the coach, which has lead to many good players quitting and some transfering (one ex. didn't we have the socon freshman of the year on year who didn't come back). The players do not have to like the coach if he is winning, but this combination just cannot be good for recruiting. While the wofford campus alone was enough to get me to attend school there, I think current players need to at least be able to say we have a shot, or something good about the coach. Instead they have a poor record and a coach with a less than steller reputation. I think the long losing streaks are a sign of teams getting down and the coach not being able to get through with the players mentally. Even the Devil Rays and other bad baseball teams steal a game here and there.
TDOG21

Postby BossTerrier on Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:36 am

TDOG21 wrote:I do not think .500 ball in the Socon is an unreasonable request for the baseball team. I know that some people will always point to academics and lack of funding as excuses why we can't compete, but I do not buy those excuses. The thing that troubles me about the baseball program is that historically the players do not like the coach, which has lead to many good players quitting and some transfering (one ex. didn't we have the socon freshman of the year on year who didn't come back). The players do not have to like the coach if he is winning, but this combination just cannot be good for recruiting. While the wofford campus alone was enough to get me to attend school there, I think current players need to at least be able to say we have a shot, or something good about the coach. Instead they have a poor record and a coach with a less than steller reputation. I think the long losing streaks are a sign of teams getting down and the coach not being able to get through with the players mentally. Even the Devil Rays and other bad baseball teams steal a game here and there.

Point well taken. All you have to do is look to Furman's abilty to have a decent baseball team. They have similar challenges as us, albeit they do have more money to work with. There are too many Wofford fans and alumni accepting of mediocre athletics. Furman is not that way. We are at the bottom every year for the Germain and Commisioner's cups ranking the best atheltic programs in the SoCon. We need to start asking why?
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby gophoenix on Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Even if it has been since 1991, isn't that more recent than App ;)
gophoenix

Return to Baseball