Nice Bethay Article

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Nice Bethay Article

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:54 am

Nice article on Bethay. Definitely worth the read.

Milton grad Bethay hoping for chance in NFL draft
http://www.gazetteextra.com/bethay_nfldraft042506.asp

Milton grad Bethay hoping for chance in NFL draft

By Tom Miller
Gazette Staff

Katon Bethay has always been among the elite athletically.

At Milton High School, Bethay was a standout in football, wrestling and track and field.

He was a unanimous first-team Associated Press All-State defensive player as a senior in football. He went 141-28 in a four-year wrestling career at heavyweight. He won a state title in the shot put and also finished second, third and fourth at the state meet in both the shot and discus his final two years.

That helped earn him a scholarship to Wofford (S.C.) College. In four seasons, he earned numerous All-Southern Conference honors in his final three years, including first-team honors at nose guard his senior year.

Former Milton High standout athlete Katon Bethay hopes he won’t be on the outside looking in when NFL teams open training camps.
Wofford College photo

Saturday and Sunday, NFL teams are scheduled to select 255 players in the league's annual NFL draft.

Bethay probably won't be one of those selected, but he could be called as a free agent after the draft.

"We're trying to get him into a camp," said Joe Dinda of Alliance Sports Management, Bethay's representative. "Carolina has him on their draft board. There are two or three other teams that have legitimate interest."

Bethay understands the challenge he faces. He has accepted the fact that his chance to play in the NFL likely will be as a free agent. He has heard the negatives.

"I'm not tall enough, my arms aren't long enough, and I did crappy in some things in my workout," Bethay said in a phone interview last week. "Well, not crappy, but not as good as some of the others."

Bethay was not invited to the Indianapolis combine, where most of the top collegiate prospects worked out in front of NFL personnel. He worked out at Furman (S.C.) University.

Bethay measured out at 6-foot-1½ and 290 pounds. He said he is at 298 now.

Still, for NFL nose tackles-where Bethay hopes to land-he would be considered small.

Bethay's 40 time was a disappointment to him at 5.0 seconds. For example, Mario Williams of North Carolina State, a 6-foot-7, 295-pound defensive lineman considered to be a top 5 pick, ran a 4.7.

Where Bethay stood out was in the shuttle run, which is used to determine an athlete's quickness. Of the 47 defensive lineman prospects listed, Bethay's time of 4.3 seconds was the ninth fastest.

He bench-pressed 225 pounds 28 times, had a vertical jump of 30 inches and a standing broad jump of 8 feet, six inches.

All those are middle-of-the-pack numbers. For a comparison, the leaders in those categories were Mike Kudla, Ohio State, 45 repetitions; Williams, 40-½ vertical jump and Kamerion Wimbley, Florida State, 10-9 broad jump.

Bethay said he has run a 4.8 40.

"I'm not as fast if I'm not chasing someone and going in a straight line," Bethay said. "I need to be going after someone to get excited about it."

Bethay's football numbers are strong. He led Wofford in total tackles with 81, including 50 solo and 31 assisted. He had 20 tackles for losses, recovered four fumbles, had 6.5 sacks and one interception.

He was voted onto the All-Southern Conference first team by both league coaches and media. Bethay earned first-team Division 1-AA All-America honors from both the American Football Coaches Association and the Football Gazette.

He was scheduled to conduct another work out for the New Orleans Saints and possibly a couple of other teams today.

Bethay has other football options if he is not drafted.

"Probably after the draft, a lot of arena teams will contact me," Bethay said. "In Arena1, you get paid really well. Arena2 doesn't pay as well. You need another job.

"I probably wouldn't do that," Bethay said of playing in the lower levels of the indoor leagues. "It wouldn't be worth tearing up my body. I love football and maybe would go over to Europe."

Playing indoor football would provide Bethay an opportunity to add to his highlight film. The Arena2 league is about to begin its playoffs, and Bethay could sign with a team and just play in the playoffs.

Of course, with a 3.54 GPA, Bethay has many options outside of football. He has interview with Wachovia Bank. Bethay also has considered going to law school.

But his No. 1 option will always be playing pro football.

"I'm just hoping for a chance," Bethay said.
Last edited by BestOfBreed on Thu May 04, 2006 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:33 am

With a 3.54 GPA from Wofford, he can almost write his own ticket if he doesn't make it. But I hope he does because it would be great to see him play on Sunday and have a Terrier in the NFL.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Football