2008 Season

Men's SoCon Regular Season Champs - 2009
Men's SoCon Tournament Champs - 2009
Men's SoCon Regulat Season Champs 2013

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

2008 Season

Postby oldT-Dog on Sat May 10, 2008 6:53 am

I just received the Alumni Newsletter from Coach Polson. It included the Spring season results (4-1-1), the '08 schedule and the recruiting class.

Recruits are as follows:

Ethan Miller - M Charlotte, NC

Bryan Eddy - M Duluth, GA

Quinn Hunt - D Aiken, SC

Wiley Sinkus - D Gainesville, FL

Paulo Bonfim - M Brazil (Jr. transfer from Clemson)

Miller played club ball for Charlotte FC (same club as current Terriers Kentral Owens and Alex Drummond). I'm pretty sure Bonfim can play right away as he was released by Clemson. Sinkus is Gainesville Sun First Team selection and Hunt played for '07 SC state club champs Lexington, FC.

Polson said next newsletter will have more info on recruits. If anyone has more please post.

Schedule looks pretty tuff. They open with an exhibition @ Wake Forest. As an old timer, I must say it is good to see PC back on the schedule. They are playing in a tournament @ James Madison (playing JMU and High Point). Their home tournament features games with GA State and USC-Upstate (I hate to see the "branch" back on the sched). Clemson comes to Snyder Field on Tues. 10/14 @ 6pm. I think they are serving dinner at the field.

Polson has hired Barry Slagle as assistant. Barry is Charlie Slagle's son (former Davidson coach now exec dir of CASL). Also, going forward Wofford will switch to Nike program (no longer Adidas) as Polson has very strong ties with them.
oldT-Dog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun May 11, 2008 9:10 am

Thanks a lot for this info. I think the soccer guys are going to make it exciting.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:28 am

We just got a new assistant soccer coach, from Colorado School of Mines. He has NC connections. Hopefully he can tap more players from NC; it is an underappreciated market for HS soccer talent; just ask Wake Forest.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Golf Team Member Playing Soccer in '08

Postby oldT-Dog on Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:28 pm

James Walker will be playing soccer in the Fall. He is on scholarship with the golf team and he hales from England. He is left footed and will play left attacking MF.

http://athletics.wofford.edu/roster.asp ... path=mgolf
oldT-Dog
True Terrier Fan

Postby T-Dogg on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:15 pm

I will certainly miss addidas as they have always been a staple for us and I never thought Nike was as good for quality! However, we switched last year and I was pleasantly surprised. I realize the money aspect and know the connections.....

Also glad to see these new players and hope they gel well with what many agree is a good core group. I also see the tough schedule but I would rather play a tough schedule and possibly have a ugly record than playing the average competition and having a crap record.

It should only help our Southern Conference pursuits in years to come! One way to go and that is up!
T-Dogg

Return to Soccer