Woco and the internet age

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Woco and the internet age

Postby Puppyfan on Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:48 pm

When do you think we will see pictures of the team and coaches, stats,
and information on the web like other colleges and universities have. The home pages has pictures of players that have graduated, the site is never updated. Wofford College is to full of smart, competent people not to have a web site that reflects that. I like the look when all the players are dressed in the same coat and tie for their bios, stats for each guy, and the ability to click on a name from the roster to see the bio. What can we do to get the athletic dpt to take it to the next level?
Puppyfan
 

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:03 pm

I agree. I like the general look of the website in terms of design, but as far as content, it has always been lacking. But, then again, Wofford has always kept a tight lid on information about most everything it does. Why, I'm not sure, but it does seem to be the case.

I think Wofford has a great story to tell, and should do everything it can to get the message out. How that gets changed, I don't know, but it needs to happen.

This lack of information over daily goings on and program information only serves to underinform alumni and supporters as well as give the appearance that Wofford is either incapable of providing information on par with our peer instutions or is unwilling to do so. In short, if Wofford wants to be big-time, it needs to provide big-time media resources.

Hopefully, somone at Wofford will realize that opening up to the community and media will better serve the College's goals and objective, both academically and athletically.
User avatar
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: 507 Miles from Wofford

Postby Terriertime on Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:05 pm

I guessing it is a lack of funding.
Terriertime
 

Postby Rowdy on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:34 pm

I think we're still missing Mark Coen. If memory serves me, he kept the web site pretty much up to date and had interesting "polls" every week. When was the last time we saw an interesting poll on the official web site? In my humble opinion, I think the polls generate interest in Wofford athletics and caused me to check the web site every couple of days. I no longer have much interest in that site.
Rowdy
 

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:01 pm

I'd believe that the problem is the lack of Mark Cohen before I'd believe that the problem is lack of funding.

Mark Cohen was very talented at printed media (which was evidenced by the many awards that his media guides won both regionally and nationally) and he did manage to keep more information on the website. The only significant upgrade since his departure that I notice are the podcasts. But, even he did not provide the level of player information that many other schools have.

As far as funding, I don't think there is a substantial difference in the cost of having a good site and a great site other than the cost of manpower to keep it updated. That may be some of the problem, but since we are primarily talking about information that is media guide type stuff it would only be a once a year addition. For that matter, it would be nice to have our media guide available on the web for download as a PDF file or even downloadable wallpaper and screensavers like many other SoCon schools offer.

I'm not sure who or what is to blame, but I think it needs to be fixed somehow. For a school that excels at doing the right thing in almost everything it does there is no excuse that our website be second best. Wofford's website is it's front doorstep to the world and a powerful public relations tool that must be kept up just like the landscaping around campus or the paint on Old Main.
User avatar
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: 507 Miles from Wofford

Postby Rowdy on Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:48 pm

I just took a look at the web site. The last pod cast is dated March 3rd. I think that is testament to what everyone is saying.
Rowdy
 

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:35 pm

Rowdy wrote:I think we're still missing Mark Coen. If memory serves me, he kept the web site pretty much up to date and had interesting "polls" every week. When was the last time we saw an interesting poll on the official web site? In my humble opinion, I think the polls generate interest in Wofford athletics and caused me to check the web site every couple of days. I no longer have much interest in that site.


The website sucked when Cohen was there as well.
User avatar
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Hilton Head, SC

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:38 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:I'd believe that the problem is the lack of Mark Cohen before I'd believe that the problem is lack of funding.

Mark Cohen was very talented at printed media (which was evidenced by the many awards that his media guides won both regionally and nationally) and he did manage to keep more information on the website. The only significant upgrade since his departure that I notice are the podcasts. But, even he did not provide the level of player information that many other schools have.

As far as funding, I don't think there is a substantial difference in the cost of having a good site and a great site other than the cost of manpower to keep it updated. That may be some of the problem, but since we are primarily talking about information that is media guide type stuff it would only be a once a year addition. For that matter, it would be nice to have our media guide available on the web for download as a PDF file or even downloadable wallpaper and screensavers like many other SoCon schools offer.

I'm not sure who or what is to blame, but I think it needs to be fixed somehow. For a school that excels at doing the right thing in almost everything it does there is no excuse that our website be second best. Wofford's website is it's front doorstep to the world and a powerful public relations tool that must be kept up just like the landscaping around campus or the paint on Old Main.


Most schools outsource their website, as to really provide up to date info, scores, broadcasts, etc. a full time "techie" is necessary.
User avatar
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Hilton Head, SC

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:13 pm

It's definitely the worst site in the SoCon. Heck, it's worse than any site in the SAC also. It's a shame when most division II sites are better than Wofford's.

Example:
Presbyterian College - similar size school. Much like Wofford the site is hosted as part of the Presbyterian College domain and not on cstv.com or athleticsite.com.

http://www.presby.edu/bluehose/default.htm

They have an archive of the weekly coaches shows for all sports. All sports have media guide downloads. All sports have current rosters with player pictures and highlights. They even have articles on former players.
User avatar
BestOfBreed
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1720
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:18 am
Location: Fountain Inn, SC

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:45 pm

Upon further review, I agree. We need a third party administrator and a techie to get in the game. Our media guides have so much information and our website has so little.

It would also be nice if they had a really nice online store since some of us live far enough away that trips to the bookstore are not possible.
User avatar
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: 507 Miles from Wofford

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:56 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:Upon further review, I agree. We need a third party administrator and a techie to get in the game. Our media guides have so much information and our website has so little.

It would also be nice if they had a really nice online store since some of us live far enough away that trips to the bookstore are not possible.


very good points all around.
User avatar
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Cayce, SC

Postby Ruckus on Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:08 am

"since some of us live far enough away that trips to the bookstore are not possible."

Believe me, you aren't missing much at the bookstore. The bookstore is a whole different subject unto itself. I have never understood why we have such crappy merchandise to choose from (and have since I was at WoCo). Perhaps alumni and community support would be easier to garner if the bookstore carried items that didn't look like closeouts from 1975. Are name brand shirts, jackets, and hats too much to ask for?
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 6190
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:12 pm
Location: God's Country

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:38 pm

Ruckus wrote:The bookstore is a whole different subject unto itself.


I'll agree with that, but that being said I will apply the Virginia Slims theory to the argument which reads, "You've come a long way, baby."

The merchandise selection could be better, as could the designs and offerings, but when I think back to what it was like 15 years ago when I first visited, it has gone through a near miraculous improvement.

I'm not an expert on the situation, but I have always assumed that Wofford's small customer base forces it to choose only from the lines that have really low minimum orders since the bookstore could not possible move a huge quantity of any one item like a larger school with more fans. The Carolina Traders affiliation has improved things somewhat, but it's not a total solution.

My biggest complaint is the lack of campus photography. I have sought a nice, high-resolution photo of Old Main that has been formatted for use a PC wallpaper for years. I have even e-mailed back and forth with the Communications and ALumni offices at Wofford and all I've ever been told is that "all the good pictures are owned by Mark Olencki and that I should contact him". I understand that he is a freelance photographer, but I fault Wofford for not having a backbone in this situation. If he is going to be give full access to roam around and take pictures (I've seen him at many events over the years and his name is on the byline of most all College publications somewhere), then some should be made available for interested people. Almost every other school I know has downloadable campus and athletic pictures as well as sport-specific screensavers.

In short, I shouldn't still be running the Herald-Journal's 2003 SoCon Championship screensaver on my laptop because something new should have been released by now. Particularly considering that Wofford didn't do that, the newspaper did.
User avatar
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: 507 Miles from Wofford

Thoughts on Athletics Site

Postby Terrier_Player3 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:03 pm

Basically, the website sucks. It's a shame when you have to go to other SoCon school's websites to see new news and information. I play football for Wofford and would really like to see more information year around on football as well as other sports. I would also really like to see pictures. Most other schools have pictures from like their spring games, but we did not have one picture from spring practice. These are just my thoughts and opinions, but I just wish our website was better.
Terrier_Player3
 

Postby jwtiedeman on Wed May 31, 2006 9:02 pm

Why was my post from last night deleted?
jwtiedeman
 

Next

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests