What the heck happened this weekend?

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

What the heck happened this weekend?

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:30 pm

Does anyone have any explanation for losing to Furman by a total of 50 runs or so? This is embarrassing and ridiculous that we can't be more competitive. Furman, with all due respect, is not that good. what is going on? Historically, Wofford has always been competitive in baseball. I am at a loss why, year in and year out now, we just aren't competitive at all.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:54 pm

The Terriers actually looked competitive this year until the latest round of injuries hit. Injuries and no depth plus a lack of SoCon quality pitching is killing them now though.

Brandon Waring is out with a broken wrist.
Charles Vartanian has bone chips in his elbow and is currently out.
Jesse Cole is out for the season with a shoulder injury.
Andrew Hewitt is finished playing baseball due to an elbow injury.

That's arguably 3 of the top 4 pitchers on the team and the cleanup hitter injured right now.

Btw, Furman is good enough this year to finish in the top 3 in the conference. They looked really, really strong this past weekend.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:06 pm

that is very good reason.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Re: What the heck happened this weekend?

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:53 am

Ruckus wrote:Historically, Wofford has always been competitive in baseball. I am at a loss why, year in and year out now, we just aren't competitive at all.

How far back are we talking? I can't remember any winning seasons since at least the early 90's. Granted, I don't keep up with baseball as closely as football or basketball, but I'm pretty sure that recent history has been mediocre at best, though I realize Wofford has had some very good teams in the distant past.

As far as why are we not more competitive? My guess is that it's the same "running a clean program and graduating players means success irregardless of win/loss record" strategy that seems to be plaguing other sports such as basketball. I wish I knew the solution, but I am beginningto think it is a cultural attitude within our administration which is likely to change and just must be endured by Wofford fans. Maybe this is the dark underside of The Wofford Way.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:27 am

I was a member of the '88 team that set the school record for wins (to be subsequently broken in '90 or '91) and I believe my class ('89) won the most games of any class up to that point. But even before my time, Wofford was very competitive. Yes, I realize that now is "distant history" or "back in the day" but I assure you we played as good if not better competition than the SoCon today as a whole as our schedule included NAIA powers USC-Aiken, Francis Marion, UNC-Asheville, USC-S'burg as well as Wake, Duke, and UNC-Charlotte. And, yes we played Furman, Davidson, and a few other SoCon schools with very good success (we did have a few "gimmes" too in the likes of Claflin, Benedict, Allen etc).
Aside from the fact that our poor baseball performance can be traced to Mark Line (the winngest coach in Wofford history and great guy) going into administration, I think it is also a function of money and fewer scholarships.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:34 am

Ruckus wrote:Aside from the fact that our poor baseball performance can be traced to Mark Line (the winngest coach in Wofford history and great guy) going into administration, I think it is also a function of money and fewer scholarships.

I assume we aren't fully funded in baseball. Does anyone know for sure? Division I is something like 11.7 scholarships for baseball but I doubt we have that much to work with. Heck, unless something changed this year Furman isn't fully funded for baseball either.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby PhoenixDad on Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:23 pm

Most of the teams in the SoCon aren't fully funded.

The number of scholarships range from 3 on up. There are 3 schools that are fully funded I believe. WCU, App State and College of Charleston.

UNC-Greensboro is close behind. They fund 10. I don't think anyone else funds more than 7 to 7.5
PhoenixDad

Return to Baseball