Spring Practice Report: Week 4

Southern Conference Champions - 2003, 2007, 2010, 2012
FCS Playoffs - 2003, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016
FCS Playoff Semifinalists - 2003
FCS Playoff Quarterfinalists- 2016

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Spring Practice Report: Week 4

Postby Terriertime on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:00 pm

The Terriers practiced on Monday for 1 hour and 45 minutes. They did very little contact work to try and help recover from the scrimmage on Saturday. On Wednesday, the Terriers had a practice identical to Monday(light contact), because they are so low on numbers. Friday was even shorter, only 1 hour and a half, with no contact, in preprartion for Saturday's scrimmage.

Today, the scrimmage went much better for the offense. They seemed to move the ball better, and everyone seemed to know their assignments. Dane Romero was the star of the day; he ran a touchdown for about 65 yards, and later threw a TD for around 20 yards on a halfback pass. Josh Collier threw the ball well, as he connected on a TD pass to Andy Strickland for about 65 yards, and another TD to Fenn Allen for about 20 yards. I really think fans are going to be excited about Fenn Allen, he seems ready to be a star.

Although the offense played well, the defense was solid too. They had several plays for loss, and Brian Kemp returned an interception for a touchdown. I would say the scrimmage was pretty even, and the coaches seemed much more pleased this week than last. I thought the young O-Lineman were much better, and I think it was a good day overall. The Terriers have two practice sessions left, on Monday and Wednesday next week.

Injury List:

Too many to name, but fortunately no one was seriously injured in the scrimmage today.
The injured Terriers I can remember off the top of my head:
Marty Bauer, Ben Miller, Kyle Lanham, Ricky Bunton, and Jason Leventis
(I'm sure their are more, but I can't remember them)

Also, after the banquet, The Terriers had their annual Banquet, and I will list the awards given out:

Steel Terrier Award (Weight Room): Bryan Blair
Best Defensive Back: Brian Kemp
Best Linebacker: Jim Thurman
Best Reciever: Sheil Wood
Best Offensive Back: Gabriel Jackson
Best Offensive Lineman: Kevin Hodapp
Best Defensive Lineman: Katon Bethay
Best Offensive Special Teams: Chris Tommie
Best Defensive Special Teams: Alex Love
Offensive Freshman Award: Ben Quick
Defensive Freshman Award: Layton Baker
Terriertime

Postby Pawpower1995 on Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:07 pm

What time with the practice be on Monday? I need to make time to watch it.
Pawpower1995

Postby WoCofan on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:09 am

They usually practice at 6 on Mondays and Wednesdays.
WoCofan

Postby Rowdy on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:13 am

Where was Nick Robinson Saturday. He does have one more year?
Rowdy

Postby Terriertime on Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:22 am

He's studying abroad in Chile.
Terriertime

Postby Ruckus on Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:29 am

Does anyone know the status or extent Of Ben Widmeyer's injury to his shoulder? I know the S'burg H-J reported it was seperated, but there are seperations and then there are seperations. Is it his throwing shoulder? Will surgery be required? I am concerned as I, quite frankly, view him as the probable/projected starter at qb next fall. Nothing against Josh Collier who seems to be a fine kid and athlete, but we have to have more consistency and better decision making at qb to really have a chance.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Terriertime on Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:32 pm

I'm going to have to respecfully disagree with you on Collier, Ruckus. Josh was set up to fail IMO for several reasons:

1. Expectations were super high coming off an 8-3 season, and having the leading returning rusher in the conference back (Kevious) as well as having Gabe Jackson back. Well, Kevious became ineligable as we all know, and Gabe missed several games due to injury, and was never really 100% the entire season.

2. The paper hyped and hyped Josh Collier in the pre-season, and after we beat Georgia Southern, there was no turning back. But, in the VMI game Michael Hobbs breaks his ankle. At this point, Wofford is 4-2, and still looking good for the play-offs. After Hobbs' injury, the Terriers finish 2-3, not to mention ended with 4 straight road games. It's hard to be an effective QB when by the end of the season your third string QB is your starting fullback.

Am I saying Josh was perfect last season? No, but I think he shouldered more blame than he was due. He made some bad decisions just like new any QB would, but the more I think about last season, I don't think he had much of a chance. The expectations were just so high, but then we lose Kevious, Gabe's injured, the O-line was banged up all season, and all the blame falls on Josh. I guess thats what happens when you're the QB though.

BTW- I'm not implying Widmyer shouldn't play, because I think he's earned that right, all I'm saying is Josh was not near as bad last year as people made him out to be.
Terriertime

Postby Ruckus on Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:37 pm

I will never bad mouth a kid on this board, but I beg to differ. Going the wrong way is never excuse for any player (much less qb at Wofford of all schools) and he did that all too often last year. He made poor decisions which I think really cost us in key situations. Proof positive is the coaching staff severely restricting our playbook because of his struggles which only further hurt us terms of scheming for defenses and keeping opponents off balance. Physically, he is very capable and probably does very well in practice.
While I agree we had several setbacks (injuries, suspensions, inexperience at key positions) as a team last year which may have reflected more poorly on him than they should have and his performance alone probably wouldn't have made a huge difference, he really didn't perform well at all. Have we been spoiled with really 5-6 years of great qb play? Yes. But I posit this question: Is it mere coincidence that our best years have coincided with that great qb play? We don't necessarily need our best athlete back there (although it sure helps), just our best thinker ("thinker" isn't quite accurate; "reactor" is more appropriate) and someone who preforms well when the pressure is on. That said I wish him the best and hope he fulfills what is obviously great potential.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Widmyer Injury

Postby T-fan on Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:07 am

Bens injury was an AC joint sprain of his right shoulder. Between a grade 1 and grade 2 sprain. He should be back working out in 2 weeks and will be 100 % in 4 weeks, fully recovered.
T-fan

Return to Football