General Discussion

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Walking - better than any pill you can take

Postby lawdog on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:38 am

lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Walking - better than any pill you can take

Postby dungeonjoe on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:31 pm

Indeed. I have lost nearly 80 pounds since last July. Walking as well as a healthy diet were the keys. I have more to lose, but the walking routine makes it easier.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:39 pm

Outstanding Dunjeonjoe - congratulations! Thomas Jefferson said long ago that "Of all exercises, walking is best".
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Loyalterrier on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Congrats DJ. 80 lbs is not easy. And for anybody that wants to amp it up a little without the impact of jogging/running try walking up flights of stairs. I walk three flights daily at work and when I get to the top my heart rate is up significantly. On the other hand walking down stairs has very little benefit so for a short but good cardio workout try going up stairs.
Loyalterrier

Postby dungeonjoe on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:53 am

Loyalterrier wrote:Congrats DJ. 80 lbs is not easy. And for anybody that wants to amp it up a little without the impact of jogging/running try walking up flights of stairs. I walk three flights daily at work and when I get to the top my heart rate is up significantly. On the other hand walking down stairs has very little benefit so for a short but good cardio workout try going up stairs.

I go to the hospitals two or three days a week and avoid the elevator when I can. Often it's quicker and less crowded.
"There are things that you value and things that you will fight for. That is what today's all about. We fight for that short-haired dog and that name across your chest." Mike Ayers
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:48 pm

As one who has had issues for years with arthritis in every joint possible,( both knees replaced, back issues including one operation, and soon to have a hip replacement) I have found two very good cardio exercises that allows you to give yourself whatever level of intensity that you want without suffering from pain due to impact on your joints; the first is a stairmaster since there is no impact on your knees, hips, or spine. You are able to vary the intensity without creating pain for yourself. The second is riding a bicycle. I love to do both of these. Even standing and walking for a few minutes creates issues for me, but I do 75 minutes on a stairmaster 3-4 times a week, and ride my bicycle every day.
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:48 pm

As one who has had issues for years with arthritis in every joint possible,( both knees replaced, back issues including one operation, and soon to have a hip replacement) I have found two very good cardio exercises that allows you to give yourself whatever level of intensity that you want without suffering from pain due to impact on your joints; the first is a stairmaster since there is no impact on your knees, hips, or spine. You are able to vary the intensity without creating pain for yourself. The second is riding a bicycle. I love to do both of these. Even standing and walking for a few minutes creates issues for me, but I do 75 minutes on a stairmaster 3-4 times a week, and ride my bicycle every day.
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:57 am

FGS, that sounds like a great strategy. Amazing that you can do what you are doing in light of the arthritis and surgeries. I have heard a lot of good things about the stairmaster and bikes, and how they minimize stress and pounding on joints. Throwing in a little yoga - for the stretching, relaxation, and flexible strength - has worked for many as well. Best of luck on the hip replacement.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Return to Off Topic Conversations