college athletes in trouble with the law

General Discussion

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

college athletes in trouble with the law

Postby fgs44 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:31 am

We all know about the incident at Wofford, but there is seemingly an ugly trend going on amongst college athletes around the country. I am not sure what to make of it. A Duke football player was arrested for felony drug possession with intent to distribute, cocaine and marijuana, and this morning there is an article in the Houston paper about four Rice players arrested this week. Sometimes it seems that there is an article every week about some kid getting in trouble with the law somewhere around the country. I don't know if this means something, or not. What do others think.
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Re: college athletes in trouble with the law

Postby wocomouth on Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:54 am

My quick .02 cents. Kids are never told no.....not just athletes. Now, they are certianly exceptions to this, but on a whole we have an entire group of people probably age 15-25 that have never been told no by anyone and have never had to accept the consequences for their behavior.

It is an epidemic that is plaguing our country and will continue to do so.
wocomouth
True Terrier Fan

Postby walliver on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:39 am

wocomouth wrote:My quick .02 cents. Kids are never told no.....not just athletes. Now, they are certianly exceptions to this, but on a whole we have an entire group of people probably age 15-25 that have never been told no by anyone and have never had to accept the consequences for their behavior.

It is an epidemic that is plaguing our country and will continue to do so.

I agree, it is not athlete specific.

Today's kids frequently get "good grades" just for showing up, are constantly reminded of how great they are, and have unrealistic expectations for adulthood.
It may be worse with athletes, since most of the people we are talking about were "stars" at their high schools.
walliver
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:05 am

I think it's a product of several factors but these 2 are the primary reasons:
Cultural, with drug use accepted and rampant in some homes and communities, especially pot (and not just the poorer or minority communities). Heck, pot is legal in some states. With the zero tolerance for drinking on some campuses, a lot of kids are turning to drugs for their kicks.
Economic, with the poor economy coupled with the econmic opportunity to make some cash selling to college age kids.
Plus, athletes are under greater and greater scrutiny and get more press when they do screw up. Schools are not covering up and handling things like they used to in the past for atheletes in trouble.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby fgs44 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Ruckus wrote:I think it's a product of several factors but these 2 are the primary reasons:
Cultural, with drug use accepted and rampant in some homes and communities, especially pot (and not just the poorer or minority communities). Heck, pot is legal in some states. With the zero tolerance for drinking on some campuses, a lot of kids are turning to drugs for their kicks.
Economic, with the poor economy coupled with the econmic opportunity to make some cash selling to college age kids.
Plus, athletes are under greater and greater scrutiny and get more press when they do screw up. Schools are not covering up and handling things like they used to in the past for atheletes in trouble.

I suspect you are right on the money. There may have been way more drinking back in my day than today. In fact, I am sure of it. Heck, the legal age in NC and SC back then was 18 for beer. Mixed drinks were not available in a bar, but I do not recall ever being asked for an id, even if I went to a liquor store.
fgs44
True Terrier Fan

Return to Off Topic Conversations