Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Toniolo signs to play baseball at Wofford

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:28 am

From SCNow.com

http://www.scnow.com/midatlantic/scp/sp ... -0019.html

Toniolo signs to play baseball at Wofford

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2007 - 10:51 PM
By Lou Bezjak

Two former teammates went to bat for Ryan Toniolo.
The Florence-Darlington Tech player signed a letter of intent to play baseball at Wofford College after former Stingers Emre Caglayan and Sterling Dye were able to sell Terriers coach Todd Interdonato on him.
“(Dye and Caglayan) were a big help,” Toniolo said. “They helped talk to coach for me.”
Toniolo said he had some offers from Division II schools but had his mind set on playing Division I, especially at Wofford.
“I wanted to go there ever since we played the Region X tournament two years ago at their field,” Toniolo said.
Toniolo, who played at Wilson and the The King’s Academy, hit .357 with 14 homers and 83 RBI in his two seasons with the Stingers.
This season, Toniolo led Tech with 10 homers and 54 RBI. He also belted three grand slams.
“He can hit with anyone and it’s a great reward for a guy who works very hard,” Tech coach Curtis Hudson said. “It does a lot for our program to be able to have kids to go play.”
Toniolo isn’t sure what position he will play for the Terriers. He played first and third base as well as DH at Tech.
Toniolo is the second Stinger to sign with a Division I school this year. Matt King committed to play at Campbell.
Hudson said Andrew Lewis is close to signing with a Division I school and has narrowed his choices to Winthrop and Gardner-Webb.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Return to Baseball