Congratulations to Brandon Waring 229th overall pick

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Congratulations to Brandon Waring 229th overall pick

Postby Growler on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:32 pm

The Cincinatti Reds, Took Brandon Waring in the seventh round of the draft. Brandon was the 229th overall pick. Good luck in your future as a Cincinatti Red!
Growler

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:57 pm

Unless he decides to return for his senior year. Alot of that may depend on the new coach
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:25 pm

and how much $$$ he can get for that 7th round selection. He is a junior-as a senior it gets tougher to negotiate
BossTerrier

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:47 pm

Seems like around the 7th round the signing bonuses are about $100k or so.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:16 pm

As a 7th round pick, he should go pro and take the money. He'll lose leverage if he returns to Wofford for his senior year, plus, he can't really do anything more to improve his stock. Also, a 7th round pick is high and will force the Reds to spends more time and effort on his development which will increase his odds of making it to the majors.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Also, the Reds are a struggling team and will need help quicker than
some of the other clubs. Good luck, Brandon!
terriers

Postby Ruckus on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:48 pm

As much I would like a Terrier in the pros and would like to follow Brandon's progress, $100k is nothing in terms a Wofford education and a life long career.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:36 am

agreed-I have no idea what his career aspirations are after ball, but 7th rd is pretty strong and guarantees some investment by the Reds-if he waits until next yr his stock could drop significantly because it will be hard to duplicate this yr, and he will be a senior meaning he has little negotiating room.
BossTerrier

Postby terrierbob on Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:04 am

does anyone know when the Brooks Wallace award will be announced?
terrierbob

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:30 am

terrierbob wrote:does anyone know when the Brooks Wallace award will be announced?

They are supposed to decide on the 3 finalists this week and announce them sometime during the college world series. The winner is announced at the July 3rd Wallace Award Banquet.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:24 am

Brandon made the final 10 for the award. It would be unbelievable for him to win it, but I think Price from Vandy is the one to beat.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BestOfBreed on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:43 pm

The athletics site mentions that he signed with the Reds.

Full story:
http://wofford.edu/athletics/content.aspx?id=29796

The Billings Mustangs will be his first stop.
http://www.billingsmustangs.com/
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby t-dawgfever on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:58 pm

He is flying out on Friday. Good Luck B.
t-dawgfever

Waring Signs for $94k

Postby BossTerrier on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:47 am

Waring signed for 94k and what his scholarships wouldn't cover.

Waring signs pact with Reds
TODD SHANESY, Staff Writer
Published June 14, 2007

Contract negotiations can sometimes be like pulling teeth.

But for former Wofford College baseball player Brandon Waring, that's been the easy part of his week so far. The tougher part was root canal surgery.

Waring, still groggy Wednesday afternoon from aftereffects of Novocain and late-night talks with a Cincinnati Reds scout, said he would have left already for the rookie-league team in Billings, Mont., if it weren't for that dentist appointment.

"My mouth is a little sore," Waring said. "I'm still a little numb."

The past few weeks has been a numbing experience for Waring, who helped Wofford win the Southern Conference tournament, played in the NCAA regionals, and was then selected in the seventh round by the Reds in the Major League Baseball draft.

Four days after being picked, the junior third baseman from West Columbia was signed, sealed and ready to deliver. The Reds gave him $94,000 and agreed to pay for what scholarships didn't cover during his three years at Wofford.

"The slot rate for where I went in the draft is in the mid-80s," Waring said. "But we definitely worked to get a little more than what they were going to offer."

Waring (6-foot-4, 195-pound) hit five home runs in five days at the Southern Conference tournament to give him a nation-leading 27 for the season. The former Airport High School standout hit .401 to lead the league and also had 74 RBIs. He set school and conference records for home runs in a single season.

Earlier this week, Waring was named among 10 remaining candidates for the Brooks Wallace Award given annually to the nation's top player by the College Baseball Foundation. The final three will be announced during the College World Series, which begins Friday in Omaha, Neb. Waring said that gave him no extra leverage in contract negotiations.

"Those scouts don't care about any of that," he said.

"They're oblivious to that stuff. I mean, they may know and they may not. But it has no affect on what they do."

Waring said he will go to Billings on Friday. The Mustangs open play June 19 in the Pioneer League. The Reds' single-A team is in Dayton, Ohio, and the double-A team is in Chattanooga, Tenn.

"I'm really excited," Waring said. "I'm ready to go."

He was the first player drafted from Wofford since Kevin Blocker was taken by the Colorado Rockies in 2000 and the first drafted as a junior since Henry Hubbard by the San Diego Padres in 1983.

"It's a dream come true," Waring said. "Every little kid dreams of playing professional baseball. I get an opportunity to do it now."
BossTerrier

Postby cvlangford on Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:12 pm

Congratulations Brandon ! Best of luck taking it to the next level. Now it's 405 B !!!! Can't wait to see you play for the Big Red Machine! C,V & Coop
cvlangford

Next

Return to Baseball