Head Baseball Coaching search

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Head Baseball Coaching search

Postby dogs2727 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:05 am

I have heard from some reliable sources that the next Head baseball coach has already been chosen. He is currently on the existing staff and it has been a done deal since Traylor resigned. It has come to my attention that there is a major conflict of interest involving some people on the search committee. It is a disgrace that the committe would be put together solely for the purpose of favoring one candidate.

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:17 pm

If true then that means Brickman or Interdonato. Neither has much head coaching experience though.
Site Admin

Postby woco on Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:52 pm

What do you (or your source) mean by "major conflict of interest?" I agree...that this is ridiculous if this is how Wofford handles a "national" search.

Postby TDOG21 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:20 pm

I heard the players went to Johnson for Interdonato

Postby Growler on Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:31 pm

TDOG21 wrote:I heard the players went to Johnson for Interdonato

ONLY SOME PLAYERS. It's split about 50/50 from what I've heard. I think their best bet would be to go outside of the program and get a new coach with new ideas..whoever they choose needs to set up a pitching program to keep our pitchers from getting injured or used up!

Postby t-dawgfever on Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:31 pm

I heard it was only 50-50 because the head coach was pushing the players to go to Johnson in support of Interdonato. My question is, what has he done to warrant any consideration for this position?

Postby dogs2727 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:08 pm

I think it is very un-professional and lacks serious class for the former head coach to basically insist that the current players back one of the assistant coaches. Going so far as to tell them they should write the athletic director and tell him that this person is the right man for the job.

I guess they should have said a "5 Mile Search" instead of a National one.

Too bad for the applicants that will apply now that Wofford had some late season recognition....

Postby woco on Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:30 pm

I agree --no class and unprofessional on the head coach's part. In my opinion, Interdonato is not the answer. I have heard from several people who would know that Wallace has submitted his resume and is interested- Not sure who will be the front runner but Interdonato isn't in the "same ball park" as far as success and experience as Coach Wallace--

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:11 am

Hopefully, a legitimate search is being run as advertised. If not, then perhaps the need for regime change at Wofford goes higher than thebaseball coach. Probably, we'll never know for sure since things are usually so tight-lipped.

I would think anyone associated with the current staff would be considered, but that's not necessarily the kind of experience one might want.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:47 am

I, personally, love having a qualified Wofford alumnus fill one of our
coaching positions. I rejoiced when Nash and Fuqua came back as
assistant football coaches. They understand our school better than
anyone. If we have a shot at hiring Tim Wallace and don't take ad-
vantage of it, whoever gets the job better be wearing a halo as for
as I'm concerned.

Postby TDOG21 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:04 pm

If only half would go after Traylor's urging, I think hiring Interdonato would be a highly uncomfortable for the other half of the team. Do we know of anyone else on any kind of search committee for the new coach? Are there any other names being passed around out there?

Postby dogs2727 on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:04 pm

Spartanburg Methodist College head baseball coach Tim Wallace returns for his sixteenth season at the helm of the Pioneers. His previous teams have produced a 610-192 record with NJCAA Region X Championships in 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2003, and 2006. His .760 winning percentage ranks him among the leaders of those actively coaching at the NJCAA level

That paragraph should speak volumes...not to mention he went back to the world series this year, he is a local guy, he went to Wofford, he is in the Hall of Fame...do I need to go on.

He is the right man for the job....hands down

Postby terriers on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Amen, brother.

Postby Rowdy on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:41 pm

Wallace may be the best man for the job, but where is his Division 1 experience? Winning at the Junior College level and winning at Wofford may be two totally different things. My best to him if he is selected.

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:46 pm

I find it hard to believe that Traylor did that. Of course Wofford would interview current assistants as a courtesy, but I think Wofford would also interview others and I have faith that they will choose the right coach...hopefully Tim Wallace
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Return to Baseball