Postby BestOfBreed on Thu May 31, 2007 11:01 am

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.d ... 002/SPORTS

Terriers return to Sarge Frye on high note
SoCon Tournament champion has experience on Gamecocks' home field

Published: Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 2:00 am

By Willie T. Smith III
STAFF WRITER
wsmith@greenvillenews.com

SPARTANBURG -- Wofford College junior third baseman Brandon Waring and senior shortstop/second baseman Eric Sturkie had hoped to visit some place new for their initial NCAA Division I Regional.

Instead they're going to Columbia to play at Sarge Frye Field.

That is not much of a trip for the duo, who are from West Columbia and Lexington, respectively. Both say Sarge Frye Field is virtually as familiar as Russell C. King Field on the Wofford College campus.

"When I was in high school I used to go all the time to watch (the University of South Carolina) play," said Waring, who was named Wednesday to Collegiate Baseball's Louisville Slugger All-America team. "I went to the Super Regionals a couple of times there. I know what we're facing. It's going to be packed out. I think the tickets are $70 and they're sold out so we know it's going to be a tough environment."

"I'm from Lexington, which is about 30 minutes outside of Columbia so it's like I'm playing in my own backyard," said Sturkie. "I've grown up going to Carolina games. I've grown up following the Gamecocks. It's really exciting to be back home playing for the NCAA postseason title."

The venue isn't unique to the Terriers, arguably the biggest surprise team in the tournament. They faced the Gamecocks there earlier in the season, dropping an 8-0 decision.

The owner of a 30-31 record, Wofford enters the tournament with a different attitude.

It enters on a five-game winning streak, all coming in the Southern Conference Tournament, which it won despite entering as the league's No. 9 seed.

Wofford earned postseason admittance with solid starting pitching led by Ben Austin and Austin Redwine and clutch hitting paced by Waring who hit five home runs, had 16 runs batted in and hit .560. He is tied for the national lead with 27 homers.

Sturkie added two home runs and seven RBIs. He was also perfect in the field, playing errorless ball.

Wofford leads the nation with 106 home runs.

The Terriers faced USC twice during the regular season with the Gamecocks winning both by a combined score of 21-1.

That doesn't appear to faze the team, playing in its first NCAA baseball postseason ever, however.

"This is nothing new, going into a stadium where everyone is against us," Waring said. "We do know what we're walking into. We have our own scouting reports. We're looking forward to seeing what we can do when both teams have their absolute best players out there trying to win a baseball game."

"It's going to be fun no matter what," said Sturkie. "We're looking forward to it."
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Return to Baseball