terriers are the conference champs-- okay, how'd they do it?

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

terriers are the conference champs-- okay, how'd they do it?

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun May 27, 2007 10:16 pm

We have talked about the incredible run by the Terriers this week. The questions I have for us to ponder-- (at least until the first NCAA game)

How did they do it?

What worked so well?
What pieces fell into play that made it happen?

and of course, the greatest reflection question of all:

What did we learn from this championship run for our program in the future?

Who is up first?
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Johnny8242 on Sun May 27, 2007 11:21 pm

2 Words CHIP HUNT!
Johnny8242

Re: terriers are the conference champs-- okay, how'd they do

Postby Growler on Mon May 28, 2007 12:07 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:We have talked about the incredible run by the Terriers this week. The questions I have for us to ponder-- (at least until the first NCAA game)

How did they do it?

What worked so well?
What pieces fell into play that made it happen?

and of course, the greatest reflection question of all:

What did we learn from this championship run for our program in the future?

Who is up first?

It's very simple, This team has come together at the right time. Three elements have come together to form this team into the dynamo that burst onto the SOCON tournament like an atomic bomb.

Element #1 determination, we would not knuckle under to bad press or low expectations. there was a lot of senior leadership at this tournament. Win one for the gipper certainly had a part in it. The SOCON tounament guide said that our chances of winning the tournament was "slim to none" that may have been the key to our determination.

Element #2 Our offense and defense, slugging we hit the best everyone threw at us. Defense we caught balls that weeks ago would've yeilded doubles. We threw runners out with arms that resembled cannons. We protected the baseball giving up very few errors.

Element #3 OUR PITCHING, Our pitching has been outstanding. our team ERA was 2.89 and our opposing batting average was .250.

individually:

Ben Austin: 2.21 ERA, .250 Opp B A, 12.2 innings, 13 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 5 walks, 6 strikeouts, 52 batters faced and 181 pitches...

Austin Redwine: 3.19 ERA .250 Opp B A, 14.1 innings, 15 hits, 6 runs, 5 earned runs, 3 walks, 9 strikeouts, 60 batters faced and 226 pitches...

Mike Gilmartin: 4.39 ERA, .250 Opp B A, 4.1 innings, 5 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts, 20 batters faced and 67 pitches...

Adam Kearney: 9.0 ERA, .318 Opp B A, 4 innings, 7 hits, 4 runs 4 earned runs, 3 walks, 3 strikeouts, 22 batters faced and 90 pitches...

Lance Player: 0.0 ERA, .250 Opp B A, 3.2 innings, 3 hits, 1 run (unearned), 15 batters faced and 41 pitches

Charles Vartanian: 0.0 ERA, .217 opp B A, 6 innings, 5 hits, no runs, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts, 23 batters faced...

I've always said we've had the pitchers. It's been how they were used. In this tournament the bullpen was active and timely. the starters were not extended past their effectiveness and middle relief and closers had back up...

The future of this program going forward is a good throwing program and a solid pitching strategy. We need a program to strengthen and protect our arms. One that also builds confidence and builds on the individual strengths of our pitchers...
Growler

Postby Eagle22 on Tue May 29, 2007 5:01 am

Glancing over the stats from the season, it appears Wofford was giving up a walk every 7.6 at-bats. That was worst in the league over the course of the regular season. By contrast and to compare to, the league leader surrendered a walk per every 11.2 batters.

In the tourney, Wofford turned that around, yielding just 1 walk per 14.7 batters. That is a complete reversal of fortune. Sounds like the pitchers stepped up their game, and probably had some help from over-agressive batters in the process.

I played high school ball, and have coached little league, all-stars, and a travel team for the past seven years ... and have watched countless minor/major league games and college games over the past 30. The formula is consistent, regardless of the talent and age group. Teams that give up a lot of walks have a harder time winning. Eliminate the free passes, and it instinctively pressures the opposition. Add a little timely hitting and a bit of old-fashioned luck, and anyone can win in a tournament format.

Good luck to Wofford in the NCAA tourney.
Eagle22
Junior Terrier

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue May 29, 2007 9:28 am

Thanks for the insights, guys, especially the pitching aspect with the walks.
I wonder if the beating we took with WCU was the turning point for the year. The Elon series following WCU seemed to be a spark that turned into a fire for the tourney.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Tue May 29, 2007 10:30 am

Thanks for the insights, guys, especially the pitching aspect with the walks.
I wonder if the beating we took with WCU was the turning point for the year. The Elon series following WCU seemed to be a spark that turned into a fire for the tourney.

Things did change after the WCU game. This board was full of "fire the coach" and "the program is going to heck in a hand basket" posts. I have to believe some players, coaches and administrators read this board and perhaps took the negativity from the fan base to heart. If that's true, perhaps it was a good exercise.
Rowdy

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue May 29, 2007 10:42 am

I believe that some of the success was due to "Wofford timing". They came together at the right time, the stars aligned, things fell our way, and we developed the momentum to make it through the tournament. I'm glad they won when they didn, becasue if The Citdel had come back on Saturday night, I'm not sure the Terriers would have recovered emotionally enough to put that behind them and win on Sunday.

That being said, I also believe that some of this is a reflection on the teams esteem for Coach Traylor. I think they were tired of losing, tired of the calls for his job and once he decided to retire (perhaps under pressure or to avoid perceived pressure, we'll probably never know), they became more determined, particularly the seniors, to try to send him out a winner. That lead to the series win at Elon which gave them the belief and momentum to think they had a chance in the tournament. Then beating Furman set up the do or die shot at C of C. Winning that cemented in them the belief that they could beat anyone and that coupled withthe way the top half of the bracket fell apart enabled the Terriers to go the distance.

Of course that is speculation on my part, but I think it's a likely course of events. Either way, I am very gald it happened because it sets the momentum up for next year, will help the coaching search, provides exposure fo the College, rewards the loyal seniors, and allows Coach Traylor to go into retirement as a hero at Wofford, not as a reflection of his overall record.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Tue May 29, 2007 3:42 pm

The fact that we won the whole thing (and 7 seven in a row and counting)only reinforces and supports the contention of the majority of this board for a few years now: we have the talent to win, so something is amiss. How/why can we do what we just did and lose 19 conference games every year? Motivation/intensity? That's the responsibility of the coaches' and upperclassmen. Winning tradition/confidence? You just earned it. Whatever it is I am glad we finally found the missing piece of the puzzle and I hope it carries over this week and to next year.
Congrats to all players and coaches! You certainly deserve it.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball