T-DOGS WIN! T-DOGS WIN! T-DOGS WIN!

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

T-DOGS WIN! T-DOGS WIN! T-DOGS WIN!

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat May 26, 2007 9:45 pm

Terrier Nation rejoices! Who in the world saw this coming?

WOFFORD TERRIERS
2007 SOUTHERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS

Congratulations to all the players, Coach Traylor and his staff, and everybody associated with the Terrier program.

Fantastic job all week by everyone. So many big-time performances I can't possibly list them all. Great effort, great play, great coaching. Simply an amazing turnaround from the regular season.

NCAA's here we come...
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby YipYip on Sat May 26, 2007 9:51 pm

Bring on the Tarheels!
YipYip

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat May 26, 2007 9:51 pm

WOFFORD WINS

WHO SAYS WE DON'T BELONG IN THE SOUTHERN CONFERENCE
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Sat May 26, 2007 9:54 pm

Incredible performance by the entire team.

Pitching staff deserves much praise!

NCAA regionals will be announced on Monday at 12:30 on ESPN

All Tournament Team: Waring, Sturkie, Gilmartin

Waring most Outsdanding player
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby YipYip on Sat May 26, 2007 9:56 pm

Wofford should be the lowest seed to ever win the tournament??
YipYip

Postby dungeonjoe on Sat May 26, 2007 10:22 pm

YipYip wrote:Wofford should be the lowest seed to ever win the tournament??

don't know Yip, but I hope we will continue to take 9 or 10 teams in the tourney. Wofford would not have been there otherwise!
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Postby swampcougar1 on Sat May 26, 2007 10:50 pm

Just wanted to say congratulations. You earned it by playing by far the best baseball in the tourney. Good luck in the regionals. I will be pulling for you
swampcougar1

Regionals

Postby Honoribus on Sat May 26, 2007 10:53 pm

Regular visitor to the forum - first time poster. Just can't contain my excitement for Wofford tonight! Go Terriers!!

What are the chances of us playing at Clemson, USC or Coastal in the regionals?
Honoribus

Re: Regionals

Postby YipYip on Sat May 26, 2007 11:09 pm

Honoribus wrote:What are the chances of us playing at Clemson, USC or Coastal in the regionals?

Wofford will be a #4 in probably one of the closer national seeds regionals. UNC and Coastal look to be seeds. The gamecocks probably lost a chance at a national seed today and Clemson has almost no chance at even getting a regional. Most likely Wofford is at Coastal, UNC, or Florida State.
YipYip

Postby The Cats on Sat May 26, 2007 11:48 pm

Congrats on your Tournament Title. I hope you represent the SoCon well. Good Luck.
The Cats
Junior Terrier

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun May 27, 2007 7:41 am

An amazing 5 days. Congrats to the team and coaches. Wow.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Rowdy on Sun May 27, 2007 10:22 am

Great job by the coaches, players, and all associated with this remarkable five days. A SoCon championship, more wins than any Wofford team in baseball, the first SoCon team to win the championship after having to win a play-in game ..... the list goes on. And let's not forget the outstanding job Len Mathis and Mark Hauser did on the radio (internet). As most of you know, baseball is not my first love, but Lenny made the game very exciting and entertaining. My hat is off to him. Now, let's win a few in the regionals. Maybe I'm starting to like this game?
Rowdy

Postby BestOfBreed on Sun May 27, 2007 10:39 am

Rowdy wrote:Great job by the coaches, players, and all associated with this remarkable five days. A SoCon championship, more wins than any Wofford team in baseball, the first SoCon team to win the championship after having to win a play-in game ..... the list goes on. And let's not forget the outstanding job Len Mathis and Mark Hauser did on the radio (internet). As most of you know, baseball is not my first love, but Lenny made the game very exciting and entertaining. My hat is off to him. Now, let's win a few in the regionals. Maybe I'm starting to like this game?

Awesome point. Lenny and Steve Shutt did a great job and thanks to ESPN 1400AM for the coverage!
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BigApp on Sun May 27, 2007 11:46 am

Congrats, and I hope your run continues!
BigApp

Postby Rowdy on Sun May 27, 2007 11:53 am

Nice article from today's Charleston paper

Wofford's best sports week ever
By Gene Sapakoff (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Sunday, May 27, 2007

Few people expected the No. 9 seed to hang around this week's Southern Conference Tournament more than a short afternoon. Instead, the Wofford baseball traveling party was in town long enough to make friends with almost every maitre d' on East Bay Street.

A live Wofford mascot spent so much time traipsing atop Riley Park dugouts, the local minor league ballclub is considering changing its name to the RiverTerriers.

Wofford's 4-2 victory over The Citadel on an enchanted Saturday night was so much more than a conquest of a No. 7 seed on its home field. It culminated a five-win week that stands as the greatest achievement and biggest national splash in Wofford sports history.

The Terriers, still only 30-31, are in the NCAA Tournament along with all the much larger dogs.

Omaha, here they come.

"Any time you have an opportunity to do something you've never done before, it's really exciting," Wofford athletic director Richard Johnson said. "These five days have been so special. Things like this just don't happen very often in sports, but this is one of those special times where a group of kids just came together."

Wofford has never been to the NCAA Tournament in baseball.

Or basketball.

Never even played for the SoCon championship in either sport.

The football team won all the way to the NCAA Division I-AA semifinals in 2003, but the competition didn't include major college heavyweights.

"A lot of what we do with our athletics is geared toward exposing the institution to marketing," Johnson said.

"To be on a national stage like the NCAA Baseball Tournament and have people ask questions like 'Who's Wofford?' and "What's Wofford?' is what it's all about. It's just great for us."

Like a No. 1 seed

Wofford's rare feat is more laudable when you consider the baseball program does not have the full compliment of 11.7 scholarships allowed for NCAA Division I schools (only six) and that head coach Steve Traylor announced earlier this season he was stepping down after Wofford's last game.

Whenever that is.

This same pitching staff two weeks ago gave up 61 runs in three games against Western Carolina.

The roster is sprinkled with sweet tidbits.

Brandon Waring, a junior third baseman, set the SoCon Tournament record with five home runs and 14 hits.

Oh, and his two-run blast Saturday night also established a new SoCon single-season home run mark (27).

John Brandt, a senior left fielder, plans to attend MUSC next year.

Ben Austin, a junior pitcher, won two starts in the SoCon Tournament (Furman on Tuesday and The Citadel on Friday night) to tie the school record for wins in a season at 11. A converted outfielder, Austin did not have a college victory coming into the season.

"We've came in here like we owned the place," Johnson said. "They're bouncing off the walls. Their attitude has been that they think they can hit anything. The enthusiasm is so contagious and the confidence is so high, they think they're the No. 1 seed. And The Citadel is a great story, too."

Johnson played basketball at The Citadel for Les Robinson, now The Citadel's athletic director. He has done a masterful job of managing the teams at Wofford, a private little university in Spartanburg with only 1,160 students.

Dandy as Vandy?

The fresh baseball success might allow Johnson to upgrade his candidate list in the search for Traylor's replacement.

"I really and truly am going to conduct a national search," Johnson said.

"I want to see what kind of coach we can attract. At the same time, it's going to be a short list because Wofford is a unique place. I think this success is going to open some eyes."

To that end, Johnson plans to consult with Tim Corbin, a former Wofford and Clemson assistant who has built academically-rigorous Vanderbilt into a national baseball power.

"We're not unlike Vanderbilt in so many respects," Johnson said. "When Tim took the job there he was told, 'You can't win at an academic school.' I think we'll be able to find a really high quality guy."

At this accelerated rate, who knows?

Maybe The Joe is the launch pad that sends Wofford on its baseball way to becoming the Vanderbilt of the Southern Conference.

Reach Gene Sapakoff at gsapakoff@postandcourier.com..
Rowdy

Next

Return to Baseball