Wofford vs. Citadel - semi-final

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Wofford vs. Citadel - semi-final

Postby GoldandBlack on Fri May 25, 2007 7:34 pm

Wofford up 6-2 in the top of the sixth.

Citadel at bat with 2 outs and a man on first.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri May 25, 2007 7:50 pm

6 outs away. Getting nervous now.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby GoldandBlack on Fri May 25, 2007 8:00 pm

Good point- Citadel came back from a 5-2 deficit in the top of the 8th to beat Elon last night.

We don't need to let them make it a habit.
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Fri May 25, 2007 8:06 pm

Feeling a little better - stand-up double to open the 8th inning followed by 3 Bulldog outs.

Three outs to go-------- [-o<
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri May 25, 2007 8:06 pm

3 outs away.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri May 25, 2007 8:07 pm

It sure would be nice to pick up a couple of runs here. Saunders has been falling behind lately.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri May 25, 2007 8:15 pm

Here we go. Heading to the top of the 9th. Wofford leads 6-2.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri May 25, 2007 8:18 pm

1 down.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri May 25, 2007 8:20 pm

2 down
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby GoldandBlack on Fri May 25, 2007 8:26 pm

Unbelievable, although I didn't know if I'd survive the walk with two outs - we're in the Championship game :yay: \:D/ :yay:

and I'm traveling to Atlanta tomorrow for a high school graduation, and will be unable to follow the game.

ARRRRGH! ](*,) #-o ](*,) ](*,)
Last edited by GoldandBlack on Fri May 25, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri May 25, 2007 8:26 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby Rowdy on Fri May 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Terriers reach SoCon tourney championship game

Steve Traylor's farewell tour at Wofford continues to roll through the Southern Conference Baseball Tournament in Cinderalla style.

The ninth-seeded Terriers moved into the SoCon championship game Friday night with a 6-2 victory over The Citadel at Riley Park in Charleston, an unlikely fourth consecutive victory in four days for Wofford that has the Terriers one win away from their first tournament title and an automatic bid in the NCAA Tournament.

Traylor, the veteran Wofford head coach who announced plans to retire at season's end, missed his daughter's graduation from Dorman on Friday. Led by a gritty performance by starting pitcher Ben Austin, Wofford made sure the sacrifice was worthwhile.

The Terriers move into Saturday night's championship game and will face either Elon, Appalachian State or The Citadel in the finale of the double-elimination tournament. Whatever team reaches Saturday's 7 p.m. game will have to win a noon game, then beat Wofford on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon to deny the Terriers.

Wofford built a 3-1 lead after two innings, then added three runs in the fifth to blow the game open.

But the story of the game might well have been Austin, the Terrier ace who took the mound on two days' rest after pitching in Tuesday's win over Furman. Austin threw 85 pitches over 5 2/3 innings, scattering eight hits and allowing two solo home runs. Austin improved to 11-5 with the win.

Senior Charles Vartanian pitched 3 1/3 innings for the save, the 15th of his career.

"I'm pretty much speechless right now," Vartanian said. "The way this team is playing right now is like nothing I've seen in four years here. We're just doing it. It's pretty amazing."

Eric Sturkie homered and drove in a run with a sacrifice fly to lead the Wofford offense.

Pretty good coaching from a guy most of you wanted to fire last week.
Rowdy

Postby GoldandBlack on Fri May 25, 2007 9:10 pm

I don't forget my posts during the season. After the Western series, it looked to me like the grind of losing had caught up to the Terriers:

GoldandBlack wrote:I think it's pretty safe to say that the wheels have now come off.

Lose to Clemson (#14 nationally), away, 12-3, then back-to-back losses to Western Carolina 26-12 and 21-3??? The Catamounts are good, but they're not THAT good.

I'll be the first to admit that I was obviously WAY wrong in my assessment of the team's mental attitude, and major cudos should be given to the players and coaches alike for this week's efforts, regardless of the outcome of tomorrow's game(s).

That's why the games are played by student-athletes, and not alumni. Alumni can only talk, while the players do.

I wish Coach Traylor the best in his retirement, and I hope Wofford can locate and hire a solid, knowledgeable, and motivated coach to follow him.

Intaminatis fulget honoribus.
Last edited by GoldandBlack on Fri May 25, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Fri May 25, 2007 9:12 pm

I missed the start of the broadcast today. Was Traylor at his daughter's graduation or the ballgame?

If he deserves some credit when they lose then he definitely deserves some credit when they win! Kudos to the coaches and players.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby GoldandBlack on Fri May 25, 2007 9:16 pm

It was his daughter's graduation, so I can't imagine he was at the game, but I didn't hear for sure. He was very definite about his intention to miss today's game if they advanced, though.
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Baseball