Baseball Coach Retires

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun May 20, 2007 9:20 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:...afterall, they admitted me!

I resemble that remark!
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby woco on Sun May 20, 2007 9:39 pm

I jus saw where Wallace and team are headed for the Junior College World Series in Colorado this week. They came out of the loser's bracket to win regionals then beat Potomac State in two games out of three to secure the Eastern District. Hope he has time to update his resume to send in!
woco

Postby Ruckus on Mon May 21, 2007 7:50 am

SMC has long enjoyed a winning program and tradition for years prior to the arrival of TW (who I am very much in favor of us hiring). Lon Joyce, long time Dodger advance scout (even during his tenure at SMC), was very successful there for years and recruited great players like Reggie Sanders. So, TW didn't arrive with a bare cupboard and in that respect would not be similar to Mike Ayers. Junior college baseball is very competitive and is the "minor leagues" for D-1 schools who use players' performances those few years for evaluation and maturity. As for TW, I don't know that we can pay him more than what he makes at SMC although I would hope so. Based on what I know about TW, he may not be interested in our job as he is obviously happy where he is and that probably means more to him than anything. Don't forget that Mark Line still has a number of contatcts in the basbeball coaching circles and will have his ear to the ground. Personally, I would love to see Tim Corbin, currently coach of Vandy (in the top 10 in the country), return to Wofford. After all, wofford was his very first coaching job in 1987. It's a long shot (okay impossible) I know but it doesn't hurt to hope.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby MarshHall on Mon May 21, 2007 8:17 am

What about hiring from within? Todd Interdonato has only been here two years, but he's done great things as our hitting coach during that span.
MarshHall

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon May 21, 2007 9:53 am

MarshHall wrote:What about hiring from within? Todd Interdonato has only been here two years, but he's done great things as our hitting coach during that span.

Good point. I think it gets overlooked in the losing but he has done a very nice job.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby MarshHall on Mon May 21, 2007 9:56 am

All I'm saying is that everyone has already jumped on the Tim Wallace bandwagon, but it's all based on speculation that
1) he will leave SMC to come to a program that is at a huge disadvantage
2) he will leave SMC to work at the same institution as his wife (only half joking here...)

There are a LOT of other possibilities for the head coaching job. Todd at least knows the players' strengths and weaknesses and he has been an EXCEPTIONAL recruiter for during his short time here.
MarshHall

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Mon May 21, 2007 10:39 pm

Ruckus wrote:Don't forget that Mark Line still has a number of contatcts in the basbeball coaching circles and will have his ear to the ground.

Very true. I bet Coach Line will be instrumental in the search with his contacts, character and knowledge of the situation at Wofford and throughout college baseball.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BigApp on Sun May 27, 2007 11:48 am

Does the SoCon win change any of the feelings expressed on this thread regarding your retiring coach?
BigApp

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun May 27, 2007 12:55 pm

BigApp wrote:Does the SoCon win change any of the feelings expressed on this thread regarding your retiring coach?

I'm glad he gets to go out on a big winning note, but I don't think the title erases any of the problems that previosuly existed. If anything, I think the players took it upon themselves to try to send him out a winner which shows their respect for him as a coach and person, but also shows that motivation may have been lacking earlier this season.

I am very proud of the team and am very happy for Coach Traylor since I know the last few months must have been tough. Now, he'll be able to have one last trip to the NCAA's and since he's staying at Wofford in other capacities, he'll likely always be remembered and congratulated for this fantastic performance rather than for the past few dismal seasons.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Baseball