Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue May 15, 2007 9:38 am

BestOfBreed wrote:I just noticed that Western has now won 17 straight games against the Terriers. Ouch!

I hope they send Coach Traylor a fruitbasket or something at the holidays.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue May 15, 2007 9:42 am

terriers wrote:I know Mark Line coached against much weaker oppo-
sition but I have never talked to a player who did not sing his praises.

Mark Line may have coached against weaker competition, but Wofford was a lot weaker then too. Besides, I'm not sure our recent teams are as good as some of those Mark Line teams.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we've had a winning season since 1991. If that's true, name another school that wouldn't be screaming about that?
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue May 15, 2007 9:45 am

BossTerrier wrote:Do you think that Furman would put up with 5 straight years of these Conference records...

Not a chance. That's why they are considered to have an all-around atheltic program and we (outside of football) are considered by others to be a joke. They may be our biggest rival, but in many ways, as much as it pains me to say this, they are out of our league.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Tue May 15, 2007 9:51 am

In 1992, Wofford was 19-17 in baseball. So only 15 years without a winning record
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby BossTerrier on Tue May 15, 2007 10:37 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:As for coaches leaving, I think the best illustration is that since I started following Wofford (early 90's), to my knowledge, no Terrier head coach has left to go to another college for an equal or better job. You'd think in over 15 years, someone would have done a good enough job to be noticed and hired to a better job.

I'm not saying we need to start acting like Georgia Southern's football program, but 3-5 years is reasonable by almost anyone's standard and if Traylor, Young or anybody else can't show a definitive upward trend after that time, then other avenues should be investigated.

Actually, I do remember John Shullman, former basketball assistant, who moved on and is now beating us rather regularly as the head coach at UTC. Also, he won the SoCon title in 06-Oh well...
BossTerrier

Postby terriers on Tue May 15, 2007 11:09 am

I recall John Shulman saying before a recent game with us that he
always enjoyed coming back to Wofford to play because it is such a
classy school. Wonder if he has ever wanted our job?

Also, I've wondered if Tim Wallace has ever wanted our baseball job?
terriers

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Tue May 15, 2007 11:12 am

I would pass the hat for Tim Wallace to come to Wofford!
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue May 15, 2007 8:12 pm

TURKEYCREEK wrote:In 1992, Wofford was 19-17 in baseball. So only 15 years without a winning record

Whatever it was, I knew we hadn't had a winning season since before I was a student at Wofford. I enrolled in the fall of 1992.

Either way, that is a record that couldn't even be referred to as mediocre.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Tue May 15, 2007 8:17 pm

Eyes of Old Main wrote:As for coaches leaving, I think the best illustration is that since I started following Wofford (early 90's), to my knowledge, no Terrier head coach has left to go to another college for an equal or better job. You'd think in over 15 years, someone would have done a good enough job to be noticed and hired to a better job.

BossTerrier wrote:Actually, I do remember John Shullman, former basketball assistant, who moved on and is now beating us rather regularly as the head coach at UTC. Also, he won the SoCon title in 06-Oh well...

Actually, I had specified that to Wofford head coaches leaving for equal or better head coaching jobs, but you're right, Coach Shulman left for another assistants job, then returned to Wofford as an assistant for a second stint, then left to go to Chattanooga and was ultimately promoted to head coach. I don't think it was a situation where you could say success at Wofford prompted Chattanooga to look at him.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Wed May 16, 2007 8:21 am

Ok, OK, Eyes. You win on a technicality!

I was really trying to focus more on the fact that a former Wofford Coach is now beating us regularly, more than anything.
BossTerrier

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu May 17, 2007 9:52 am

BossTerrier wrote:I was really trying to focus more on the fact that a former Wofford Coach is now beating us regularly, more than anything.

No problem. You are definitely right about the beating us regularly part.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BestOfBreed on Thu May 17, 2007 11:58 am

I dislike Traylor but I doubt he's going anywhere. I didn't like him when he was hired and even less now. My theory was it was better to hire someone on the way up rather than someone on the way out. This year he was saved by the weak early season schedule and Brandon Waring.

First back to back 20 win seasons since joining division I (thanks to an 11-2 record against teams with over 200 RPI)

23 wins ties for 5th most in a season (once again thanks to an 11-2 record against teams with over 200 RPI)

2 players (Brandt, Waring) already named Academic All-District (most is one in a season) and both should have a chance at Academic All-American

Good chance at having a Freshmen All-American for the 2nd year in a row, SoCon POTY for the first time, an All-American for the 1st time in division I, and an outside chance at multiple All-Southern Conference players (Waring will be only the 2nd first team all-Southern Conference player Wofford has had) plus who knows what else.

Lots of records broken (some good and some bad).

Maybe we should be discussing a replacement for pitching coach Scott Brickman. He's presided over multiple arm injuries and players seemingly get worse the more he coaches them. I would be interested to hear what Growler thinks since he seems closest to the situation.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Baseball