Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

Postby terriers on Sat May 12, 2007 3:33 pm

WCU 21 Wofford 1 after seven!

Fellows, we don't just have a pitching problem. We have a pitching
crisis. I think its so bad that, even when our starter gets bombed,
our coaches are afraid to go to our bullpen because there's nothing
there. Mercifully, we have only four more games and then we can
pray for help from our incoming freshmen.
terriers

Postby BestOfBreed on Sat May 12, 2007 3:46 pm

21-3 now. Looks like the Terriers kicked a field goal.
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Sat May 12, 2007 4:07 pm

Wofford has held WCU to 47 runs in two games. 26 runs last night and only 21 runs allowed today. We're making progress!
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby GoGoWoCo on Sat May 12, 2007 4:48 pm

Well, at least we held them to 21, hopefully tomorrow we can keep them in the teens.
GoGoWoCo

Postby GoldandBlack on Sat May 12, 2007 5:42 pm

I think it's pretty safe to say that the wheels have now come off.

Lose to Clemson (#14 nationally), away, 12-3, then back-to-back losses to Western Carolina 26-12 and 21-3??? The Catamounts are good, but they're not THAT good.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat May 12, 2007 6:03 pm

GoldandBlack wrote:I think it's pretty safe to say that the wheels have now come off.

Since I don't have any thing nice to say, I won't say anything at all.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Sat May 12, 2007 6:29 pm

Well gosh ..... are there more than 50 people in the Wofford community who actually care? Or even know? 50 seems to be the number in attendance at the typical Wofford baseball game. Don't spend any more money on this game. Put it into Football and basketball!
Rowdy

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Sat May 12, 2007 10:00 pm

Can we hold them to 20 tomorrow?
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby GoldandBlack on Sat May 12, 2007 10:51 pm

TURKEYCREEK wrote:Can we hold them to 20 tomorrow?

In which inning?

(BAD dog! No treat for you!)
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun May 13, 2007 3:38 pm

Rowdy wrote:Well gosh ..... are there more than 50 people in the Wofford community who actually care? Or even know? 50 seems to be the number in attendance at the typical Wofford baseball game.

We get your point, Rowdy. You've made that statement a half dozen times now. Move on to something else.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Sun May 13, 2007 4:07 pm

Our pitching was, at most, mediocre at the start of the season. Our
56 game schedule has taken its toll and we have a pitching staff with
tired arms. Pitching is at least 75% of baseball, therefore, unless
we can add both quality and quantity to our staff, we can forget
about competing in the SoCon. I also question the coaching and
conditioning of our pitchers.

A series like the one we just had with WCU in which we were out
scored 61-16 is an embarrassment to our school and should trigger
some changes. I know we can compete in the conference if we
simply face and address the problem areas. We have a beautiful
stadium and should field a competitive team. There is no doubt in
my mind we will respond accordingly.
terriers

Postby Rowdy on Sun May 13, 2007 5:16 pm

[We get your point, Rowdy. You've made that statement a half dozen times now. Move on to something else.]

Sorry Eyes, just can't do it. Someone has to remind you guys that baseball just isn't important at Wofford. I judge that solely on fan support. 50 fans turning out for a game tells me loud and clear that baseball has lost it's support among the Wofford fan base. Now prove me wrong and get your butt in a seat. I would love to be proved wrong by having 500 Wofford fans at every SoCon game. Then I would be leading the voices asking for change in coaching and funding.
Rowdy

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun May 13, 2007 6:08 pm

So are you saying that only sports that draw fans are deserving of attention and support? If Wofford drops all sports that don't draw fans, then we'll get kicked out of the SoCon (and D-I for that matter).

As for other sports, if lack of fan support is the measure of relevance then what would be left besides football and men's basketball? And arguments can be made that the attendence for both of those is far below what it should be. What about the entire women's program? They don't draw many fans. Since you can't get rid of those because of Title IX, I assume you propose we keep football and men's basketball only on the men's side and all the women's sports.

Granted, I don't go to baseball games at Wofford. If you'll note, I live quite a bit farther from Spartanburg than you. I'm lucky to make a football game or two, but that doesn't diminish my support of Wofford one bit. I keep up with what's going on at the College, I donate to the Annual Fund, I volunteer my time to help admissions recruit students in my area, I keep up with our sports programs, I donate money to the Terrier Club, I post regularly on this and other boards about Wofford, and I go to as many games as possible. So don't ever lecture me about supporting Wofford.

I don't dispute that many problems face our athletics program, but saying we should resign ourselves to losing just because "no one really cares" isn't the answer either.

Maybe fans should attend more games. Maybe baseball should have a bigger budget. Maybe a new coaching staff would be more successful. Who knows? But to say we should let baseball wither just because there isn't enough interest to hold Coach Traylor accountable is ridiculous.

Fact is, only one coaching staff at Wofford (football) has proven that it can consistently win. Were it not for Coach Ayers, would you be so comfortable in saying that lack of interest is our problem? Replace Ayers with a less motivated or less talented coach and our funding issues would be even more evident.

Football has shown Wofford can win with reduced funding, now it should be the responsibility of all the other coaches to replicate those results or be at risk for changes. That should go for baseball, basketball, soccer or anything.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Sun May 13, 2007 6:54 pm

Eyes, looks like I hit your hot button. I'll try to address your thoughts below.

[So are you saying that only sports that draw fans are deserving of attention and support? If Wofford drops all sports that don't draw fans, then we'll get kicked out of the SoCon ;and D-I for that matter.) I've never advocated dropping any sport. All I've said is put the money where it does the most in goodwill for the college.

(As for other sports, if lack of fan support is the measure of relevance then what would be left besides football and men's basketball? And arguments can be made that the attendence for both of those is far below what it should be. What about the entire women's program? They don't draw many fans. Since you can't get rid of those because of Title IX, I assume you propose we keep football and men's basketball only on the men's side and all the women's sports.) Again, I've never advocated dropping any sport.

Granted, I don't go to baseball games at Wofford. If you'll note, I live quite a bit farther from Spartanburg than you. I'm lucky to make a football game or two, but that doesn't diminish my support of Wofford one bit. I keep up with what's going on at the College, I donate to the Annual Fund, I volunteer my time to help admissions recruit students in my area, I keep up with our sports programs, I donate money to the Terrier Club, I post regularly on this and other boards about Wofford, and I go to as many games as possible. So don't ever lecture me about supporting Wofford. (You're a good boy.)

(I don't dispute that many problems face our athletics program, but saying we should resign ourselves to losing just because "no one really cares" isn't the answer either.) Firing the coach isn't the answer either. How can you hold a man accountable when you don't give him the tools he needs to get the job done. Traylor has, I'm told, 4 scholarships. He's doing battle with teams that have 11. And you (plural) blame him for poor performance?

(Maybe fans should attend more games. Maybe baseball should have a bigger budget. Maybe a new coaching staff would be more successful. Who knows? But to say we should let baseball wither just because there isn't enough interest to hold Coach Traylor accountable is ridiculous.) I don't think I said that.

(Fact is, only one coaching staff at Wofford (football) has proven that it can consistently win. Were it not for Coach Ayers, would you be so comfortable in saying that lack of interest is our problem? Replace Ayers with a less motivated or less talented coach and our funding issues would be even more evident.) Mike Ayers is the top coach in division 1. No one else in this wonderful country could take the resources he has and produce a winner year in/year out. We are fortunate to have him and lucky no one has waived a million plus contract in his face.

(Football has shown Wofford can win with reduced funding, now it should be the responsibility of all the other coaches to replicate those results or be at risk for changes. That should go for baseball, basketball, soccer or anything. Mike Ayers has proved this.) Again, Ayers is the best coach in Division 1. Do you really think we are, with our funding, going to attract the best coaches in Div. 1 in all sports?

And one last thing, don't ever tell me to "move on" or any other condescending thought.
Rowdy

Postby Ruckus on Mon May 14, 2007 8:43 am

Maybe WE should move on and let rowdy have this borad to drone on and on about how the baseball program should be axed with a new million dollar stadium and how Traylor is doing such a great job. Ridiculous.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Baseball