Baseball program directions

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu May 10, 2007 11:10 pm

Very interesting exchange of ideas. I hate I joined in late.

Even though I am a big baseball fan, I consider it as a mid-level sport in terms of attention factor. Below football and basketball, but above soccer, tennis and golf. That being said, I do want it to be competive and hope that I can soon quit lamenting the fact that we haven't had a winning baseball season since BEFORE I was a student (and that wasn't as recent as I'd like to think it was).

Mr. Sessoms was a class act and a great supporter of Wofford and his bequest will help a great deal. You hate to lose such an ambassador for our school, but such a generous gift helps his legacy to live on.

Now, I am not an expert on the new NCAA baseball rules, but what I know of them makes me think they will be good for Wofford. True, we won't be able to spread money around as much, but the fact that big schools like South Carolina and Clemson will no longer be able to have 50-60 players on "scholarship" with most getting only free books or a few hundred Dollars will, no doubt, send a lot more talent looking for options. Having more good players floating around can only help Wofford compete better even though it may mean more "creative accounting" to get to the end result. This is not really any different than when the NCAA limited I-A football programs to 85 scholarships when elite teams like Alabama, Michigan and USC frequently carried 100-125 players.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Fri May 11, 2007 8:53 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:Very interesting exchange of ideas. I hate I joined in late.

Even though I am a big baseball fan, I consider it as a mid-level sport in terms of attention factor. Below football and basketball, but above soccer, tennis and golf. That being said, I do want it to be competive and hope that I can soon quit lamenting the fact that we haven't had a winning baseball season since BEFORE I was a student (and that wasn't as recent as I'd like to think it was).

Mr. Sessoms was a class act and a great supporter of Wofford and his bequest will help a great deal. You hate to lose such an ambassador for our school, but such a generous gift helps his legacy to live on.

Now, I am not an expert on the new NCAA baseball rules, but what I know of them makes me think they will be good for Wofford. True, we won't be able to spread money around as much, but the fact that big schools like South Carolina and Clemson will no longer be able to have 50-60 players on "scholarship" with most getting only free books or a few hundred Dollars will, no doubt, send a lot more talent looking for options. Having more good players floating around can only help Wofford compete better even though it may mean more "creative accounting" to get to the end result. This is not really any different than when the NCAA limited I-A football programs to 85 scholarships when elite teams like Alabama, Michigan and USC frequently carried 100-125 players.

Eyes,

you are right on. At my Rotary mtg this week in Mt Pleasant, I spoke to a club team Baseball coach who has inside info and he let me know this rule will be great for teams like Wofford because the parity will rise to new levels. That is exactly why Clemson and USC are fighting this. There are legit D-I players on "scholarship" at these schools that will never see the field for a game. They keep good players off other teams and so the rich keep getting richer. This rule should give us a great advantage.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri May 11, 2007 7:33 pm

BossTerrier wrote:This rule should give us a great advantage.

I don't know that I would call it an advantage, but it is definately going to help remove one of the disadvantages Wofford faces, so I guess it's addition by subtraction.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Fri May 11, 2007 9:47 pm

A whole lot of help is needed after tonight's performance
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sat May 12, 2007 12:34 am

TURKEYCREEK wrote:A whole lot of help is needed after tonight's performance

Understatement of the evening.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Previous