Baseball program directions

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Postby Rowdy on Wed May 09, 2007 2:47 pm

My understanding is athletic funding at Wofford is on the rise. The school is growing to 1450 students and with that alone, come more dollars for athletics. Plus, several alumni have stepped up their giving. The problem is we started pretty far down in the hole when we made the decision to go Div 1 and it's a long climb up just to get air to breath. Now my position is we need to spend these new dollars to get stronger in football and basketball (and the obligatory girls sports). That's where we get the most bang for the buck. These teams bring fans to the campus and contributions to the Terrier club. The minor sports do not. Gosh, baseball only draws 50 or so fans. How can that be considered a major sport?
Rowdy

Postby Ruckus on Wed May 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Baseball has long been considered a major sport. There are very loyal fans and alumni who follow baseball very closely and care very much about it although they don't/can't always go to the games. The construction of the new Law field is all the evidence you need to see that. With 3-4 games a week, you are not going to have the crowds that football has with 1 game. I will tell you this: if Wofford turns its back on baseball, they won't see another dollar from me ever again.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Wed May 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Ruckus, baseball is my favorite sport and I share your sentiments
although I live too far away to get to the games.

I don't think you have to worry about Wofford turning its back on the
game since Russell King, ex chairman of the Board of Trustees just
gave a million dollars for our new field. Also, we have a pretty
strong baseball tradition. A lot of old-timers who are now substantial
donors played the sport.

To top it off, going way back in Wofford sports lore, the story goes
that we adoted our nickname when a terrier ran onto the field, dis-
tracting an opposing player helping us win a game. I've heard Bernie
tell this story. Baseball is here to stay.
terriers

Postby Ruckus on Thu May 10, 2007 8:15 am

It is patently absurd to suggest de-emphasizing a sport where you just spent a couple of million in renovating the stadium. But what bothers me the most is the new NCAA rule changes re baseball. I think they are going to really affect college baseball, esp. the smaller poorer schools. The one I am most concerned about is the requirement that 33% is the minimum scholarship that can be awarded to a kid: so no more sprinkling of money to a larger number of players. While that was intended to level the playing field, it unfairly penalizes schools like Wofford. Leggett and Tanner as well as other major clollege coaches have already come out pretty strongly against the changes. It is a bad deal.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Thu May 10, 2007 9:38 am

This is a really interesting discussion to me. I wouldn't shed a tear if a baseball program never took the field again..... at Wofford or any other school. Yet I seem to be the only one among you baseball fanatics who actually go to a Wofford baseball game with any regularity. And I make the drive from Charlotte. What gives. Why aren't you in the stands? Why don't you support the team? I know you'll have a few good excuses for not being there, but the only real reason you aren't there is you find more interesting things to do (speaks volumes about my personal life doesn't it). So get off your duffs and go to the games. It's embarrassing to only see 50 people there.

And while we're thinking, what if 500 or 1000 people showed up for every game? And those fans started voicing their desires to the administration. And the administration took note of this new major sport on campus. And they started putting more money into the baseball program. What if....
Rowdy

Postby Ruckus on Thu May 10, 2007 11:08 am

It's hard to rationally discuss a topic when one makes a HUGE assumption. How do you know we aren't there at the games? How do you know what our discussions have been with administration? How do you what we are doing about it? I commend you for your faithfulness to a sport you apparently could care less about, but don't go making judgments when you aren't fully informed.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Rowdy on Thu May 10, 2007 11:16 am

So Ruckus, you're saying I shouldn't post my opinions on an opinion board? Does this go along with your saying you'll take your marbles home if the college doesn't play your way? (Quote Ruckus "I will tell you this: if Wofford turns its back on baseball, they won't see another dollar from me ever again")
Rowdy

Postby Ruckus on Thu May 10, 2007 11:38 am

What I am saying is how can you even HAVE an opinion about someone's involvement when 1) you don't who we are; 2) you don't know what we do with Wofford; and 3) you don't know what our level of support is. Opinions are developed through knowledge and facts. What you have is a guess, a speculation, an assumption that, because only 50 people attended the games you were at, you GUESS one of them isn't one of us. Yeah, feel free to have whatever opinion you like, express it anyway you want, anywhere you want. It's your problem if you are uninformed and make assumptions that you have no clue about. And by the way, it's my hard earned dollar that I'll choose to spend any way I like, anywhere I like; sort of like your "opinions."
Now, if you were referring to "you" in your earlier post as being the Wofford community in general not being as supportive to the baseball team v. me personally, please accept my apologies and let me say I AGREE with you. Unfortunately, there are more people who agree with you that baseball is not a "major sport" and unworthy of support than those of us who have and will always supported the baseball team financially and otherwise.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Thu May 10, 2007 3:14 pm

I am going to temper this discussion with some good news. I just
returned from Bennetsville where I attended a classical guitar concert
by a Wofford Spanish professor. Afterwards I was advised by a
prominent Wofford staff member that three more baseball scholar-
ships are being added to our program. These were willed to Wofford
by the late Walt Sessoms who passed away a few weeks ago. My
source was not sure whether they would kick in immediately or be
available piecemeal. What a shot in the arm!!

Incidentally, I don't think our national pastime could be considered
anything but a major sport.
terriers

Postby Ruckus on Thu May 10, 2007 3:48 pm

That truly is great news! Thank you Mr. Sessoms!
Amen to the comment on baseball being a major sport.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Thu May 10, 2007 3:58 pm

I was just told that the news about the 3 new scholarships is 100% incorrect.
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Postby terriers on Thu May 10, 2007 9:01 pm

I can only reaffirm that what I heard is what I heard and it came
from someone I have known for years who is near the top of the
Wofford hierarchy. I was also a personal friend of Walt Sessoms
and I know that he was passionate about Wofford baseball.

This is all I can tell you but I would be interested in why your
source said it was incorrect.
terriers

Postby Rowdy on Thu May 10, 2007 9:24 pm

I spoke to a well placed friend in the administration at the Furman game who implied there would be some additional "help" in baseball next year. He did not give me any details, but when "Terriers" made the announcement, I assumed the Sessons scholarships were the "help". I will be surprised if it is not true.

As for my previous posts in this forum, let me do a little explaining. I'm not against baseball. It's a fine sport with a long history. It's just not my sport and consequently, I don't want the college spending more scarce resources to support it. Now if someone like Mr. Sessons wants to leave Wofford 3 baseball scholarships as part of his legacy, then God bless him. And the program certainly needs the help.
Rowdy

Postby terriers on Thu May 10, 2007 9:51 pm

Rowdy, don't worry about it. We're all on the same team.

If we all loved Sally, wouldn't it be boring? GO DOGS!!
terriers

Postby TURKEYCREEK on Thu May 10, 2007 10:02 pm

Any and all help will certainly be helpful
TURKEYCREEK
2008 Bowl Pickem Co-Champ

Next

Return to Baseball