4/28/07- GSU 12; Wofford 1

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Postby glehr on Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:44 pm

TDOG are you serious with that USC comment? If I'm not mistaken USC started one of their conference starters and their closer was the one who took the loss and I believe he got drafted in the top 6 rounds last year. Fluke play. They won by one of their players hitting a triple which almost went out...but that is a fluke play. 8 runs scored was a fluke. Melton shutting down one of the best offenses in the nation is a fluke? And patriot league garbage? Obviously, you have never played, because every team on the schedule is a quality team. Monmouth took a series from USF who is in the big east and one of their powers. But you're right, they are garbage. Manhattan beat Nebraska in the regionals last year, but you're right, they are garbage. Dayton coming to wofford and getting swept because they are garbage?

I agree with everything else you said, but don't take anything away from the players on the team. That USC victory as well as the UT one this year were well deserved and didn't happen because they pitched their "scrubs". Three years ago USC pitched their number one and he left the game losing (usc came back in the 9th to win) so don't say it's because wofford plays nobody's or "scrubs". Unlike the football program, Wofford baseball plays a real D1 schedule. If Wofford Football beat Oklahoma last year you wouldn't be saying that it was because they didn't start Peterson so don't bring that trash about the baseball team.
glehr
 

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:32 pm

TDOG21 wrote:First of all we beat those teams in the beginning of the season because all of those Patriot league teams are garbage. The teams we play before Southern Conference play usually are not Southern Conference quality. Just take a look at their RPIs now. Second we beat Tennessee and South Carolina because they threw their worst players against us. The pitchers that blew the save for Tenn. have the three highest ERAs on the team. South Carolina lost to us on a fluke play. I am glad Wofford won those games. It is good for the program to get press, but when you step back and look objectively, the wins don't translate into much other than our starters are almost as good as their backups.

People on this board have indicated that Traylor is a nice guy and they like him. I have to respect your opinion, but also inject that has not been my experience. I would not want to play for him, and my friends that did play for him only did it to stay on scholarship or refused to continue playing for him. I think we need a younger coach who can bring new/different energy to the program. At the end of the day we have to recruit better and after 7 years I do not see that happening under Traylor. Maybe Traylor realizes that if he continues to graduate players (which he does well) then he does not need to recruit much better. He has coached for 26 years, maybe Wofford will let him coast into retirement.

My question for the Traylor supporters really is do you see it getting better anytime soon?
Also I realize we are not going to consistently be in the top of the Southern Conference without a massive increase in financing, but I am tired of it being acceptable to be a doormat. Why can’t we finish 5th?

SC is a state rich in baseball talent and tradition. Wofford has potential to improve and I will be pulling for the Terriers with or without Traylor.


I'm not sure you know what you are talking about, TDog 21. Tennessee did not have their worst pitcher on the mound against us. Their closer came out in the 8th inning and gave up 5 against us. Also, their position starters played the whole game against us. I work with a guy whose son plays for UT and he told me that they were shocked that we beat up their closer that way. USC played their position starters against us-maybe not their Weekend pitchers, but nonetheless they were great wins, and not against backups. Or are you saying when USC beat us 13-1 this yr they played their backups also?????

The point is we have the talent to compete, but our motivation seems weak and our pitching is weaker. Offense is strong enough to win a heckuva lot of games if we had decent pitching-but we don't.

Traylor has got to get some pitching help-or he's gone in my book

we play in one of the top 7 toughest conferences in college baseball, and it shows.
User avatar
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ
 
Posts: 657
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Hilton Head, SC

Postby glehr on Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:33 pm

My name isn't george, by the way...
glehr
 

Postby glehr on Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:34 pm

Traylor needs some pitching help? I agree with everything else, but that's not all/exactly what Traylor/Wofford needs...
glehr
 

Postby MarshHall on Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:27 pm

...
Last edited by MarshHall on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarshHall
 

Postby TDOG21 on Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:07 pm

BossTerrier wrote:
I'm not sure you know what you are talking about, TDog 21. Tennessee did not have their worst pitcher on the mound against us. Their closer came out in the 8th inning and gave up 5 against us. Also, their position starters played the whole game against us. I work with a guy whose son plays for UT and he told me that they were shocked that we beat up their closer that way. USC played their position starters against us-maybe not their Weekend pitchers, but nonetheless they were great wins, and not against backups. Or are you saying when USC beat us 13-1 this yr they played their backups also?????

The point is we have the talent to compete, but our motivation seems weak and our pitching is weaker. Offense is strong enough to win a heckuva lot of games if we had decent pitching-but we don't.

Traylor has got to get some pitching help-or he's gone in my book

we play in one of the top 7 toughest conferences in college baseball, and it shows.


Alright here is what I was talking about...

(1) The UT pitchers who pitched the last three innings (when Wofford took the lead) were Bryan Powell (era of 7.94); Ryne Simpson (era of 11.42); Zane Stone (era of 15.43); Ryan Butner (era of 15.75); and Aaron Everett (era of 3.38). This is the order they pitched and with the exception are statistically the worst four pitchers on the UT roster.
source:http://utsports.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2006-2007/teamcume.html

(2) Winning on a passed ball/wild pitch to a top ten team in the country is a fluke play. Yes, USC made sure they did not lost to USC this year as the score clearly shows.

((3) Was beating USC and UT great for the program? Absolutely, I always for the Terriers and to beat an SEC school is an accomplishment. I poorly phrased by point because I was trying to say that these wins are not a good indicator of the job Steve Traylor has done at Wofford.

(4) The Patriot league is not nearly as good as the Southern Conference and to think that beating up on them is an indication of success is not realistic. The college conference has the Southern Conference rated the 7th conference and the Patriot League 20th (Lafayette and Army) A-10 is ranked 21st (Dayton); MAAC 25th (Manhattan and Niagara); America East 27th (Albany) Northeast 29th (Monmouth); and Longwood and IPFW are sub .500 independents.

So what is the point of these negatives stats? First to show that there is some basis for what I am saying. Second, I want the Terriers to win more than anyone. Having to look at these stats sucks!! I am ready for the day when we are competitive in the Southern Conference. Unfortunately, I do not think it will happen under Traylor. I hope we get some new energy in there, a different voice. Wofford is a great school and we can be competitive in baseball despite our short comings!! I do not think it is unrealistic to finish around .500 in the conference. After seven years we just need a new leader.
TDOG21
 

Postby terriers on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:12 pm

TDOG21, how about Tim Wallace, Head Baseball Coach at Spartanburg
Methodist who is a Hall of Fame Coach with a lifetime record at SMC
of 610-192 (.760 winning pct.) Tim is a 1983 graduate of Wofford
where he was a catcher for two years and hit over .400 before signing
with the St. Louis Cardinals. He played pro ball for seven years and
is in the Wofford Athletic Hall of Fame. His wife, Beth, is employed
by Wofford on the administrative staff.

Think he would qualify?
terriers
 

Postby Ruckus on Tue May 01, 2007 2:28 pm

We can only hope.......
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 6190
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:12 pm
Location: God's Country

Postby TDOG21 on Tue May 01, 2007 4:47 pm

Of course he would qualify...I think he would be a great canidate, in fact I have heard great things about him from former players. Look I simply saying that we have seen improvement in most sports dealing with the same constraints. The school has invested in baseball with the new stadium. I personally do not see progress in baseball, maybe I should. I think we can be better than what we are.
TDOG21
 

Postby dungeonjoe on Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm

TDOG21 wrote:Of course he would qualify...I think he would be a great canidate, in fact I have heard great things about him from former players. Look I simply saying that we have seen improvement in most sports dealing with the same constraints. The school has invested in baseball with the new stadium. I personally do not see progress in baseball, maybe I should. I think we can be better than what we are.

agreed. I am tired of the Nobility of Failure stuff (we're a good school the players get a good education and we try our best). The football team at Wofford has shown me what can be done in our entire athletic program.
User avatar
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 1058
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:04 am
Location: Cayce, SC

Postby terriers on Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm

TDOG21, you took me wrong. I wasn't being sarcastic. I agree with
you. When a coach has virtually the same resources as most of his
opponents and can't get his team out of the cellar in seven years, it's
time for a change. I certainly respect Wofford's reluctance to change
coaches but this situation is not good for anybody--the players, the
school, the fans, or the coaches. I know our school will do the right
thing but, in my opinion, the situation cries out for a change.

And I do like Wallace--if he's available.
terriers
 

Postby Rowdy on Tue May 01, 2007 6:35 pm

Folks, when I go to a Wofford baseball game there are maybe 50 spectators there. That tells me that no one cares about the program except those 50 and a few who post on this board. That message must also get to the athletic administration who has limited dollars and must put them where it makes the most difference. Mainly football and basketball (and of course to the girls programs because of Title 9). I know if I was running the program, baseball would be a very low priority for the limited funds I had to spend. So if you want better baseball (or whatever sport), go to the games and contribute your money. Then let RJ know where you stand.

As a side note, I only make the weekday games. So if there is more attendance on the weekends, I would be interested in the numbers.
Rowdy
 

Postby terriers on Wed May 02, 2007 3:50 pm

Rowdy, everyyhing you say is right on the money except that, based
on the figures just released on a recent post, we are already spending
more than Western Carolina, ASU, Furman, and Davidson on baseball.

Since most of these schools wear us out every year, I think the prob-
lem goes deeper than finances. We do need to attend the games and
let our voices be heard. Were I not 200 miles away I'd be at every
game. Many baseball players are very good students and I see no
reason why we can't have a competitive program.
terriers
 

Postby Growler on Wed May 02, 2007 4:18 pm

BestOfBreed wrote:Baseball Operating Expenses - as reported by the Department of Education
http://ope.ed.gov
Reporting Year: 7/1/2005-7/1/2006 (last years #'s)
Citadel $288,862
College of Charleston $156,970
Georgia Southern $138,122
UNCG $102,193
Elon $92,918
Wofford $85,041
Western Carolina $76,849
App State $67,677
Furman $62,861
Davidson $29,445


I can hardly beleive my eye's. I don't know where the money is going?
It certainly isn't going toward scholorships. It sure isn't going towards equipment. Players take the field every game with tattered uniforms. Also their annual equipment issue is one pair of sox, one pair of spikes, New hats, a set of under armour. Players pay for their own equipment such as bats, gloves etc. They also pay for their own warm-up fleece. It isn't being spent on accommodations either, Players stay 4 to a room with two men sleeping in a double bed. Travel meals usually consists of a pizza and a soft drink. There's never a meal provided for between games during a double header. Guess what we've already paid for those meals. Practices usually run late, so players can't get to Burwell, so they have to use their own money to eat or their terrier bucks. So where's all this money going?
Growler
 

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed May 02, 2007 10:04 pm

dungeonjoe wrote:The football team at Wofford has shown me what can be done in our entire athletic program.


Coach Traylor may be well liked and generally considered a good guy, but if his program isn't competiting up to even Wofford's generally middle of the road expectations, then he needs to be replaced.

I hate to see anyone lose their job, but if the product on the field isn't up to even Wofford's expectations, a change must be made.

What the football program has show us is that our limited resources don't have to be an excuse for failure with the right coach and a stable staff in place. Baseball has won in the past, and can win again in the future, but I think we have crossed the threshold of proving that the current staff is not capable of winning at Wofford.
User avatar
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan
 
Posts: 2703
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:20 pm
Location: 507 Miles from Wofford

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests