4/28/07- GSU 12; Wofford 1

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Postby BossTerrier on Thu May 03, 2007 8:34 am

I wonder if this # is inflated due to potential increase of operating expenses in yr 1 of the new stadium last yr-that would make logical sense to me. Perhaps the # will look much different this yr.

Growler wrote:
BestOfBreed wrote:Baseball Operating Expenses - as reported by the Department of Education
http://ope.ed.gov
Reporting Year: 7/1/2005-7/1/2006 (last years #'s)
Citadel $288,862
College of Charleston $156,970
Georgia Southern $138,122
UNCG $102,193
Elon $92,918
Wofford $85,041
Western Carolina $76,849
App State $67,677
Furman $62,861
Davidson $29,445

I can hardly beleive my eye's. I don't know where the money is going?
It certainly isn't going toward scholorships. It sure isn't going towards equipment. Players take the field every game with tattered uniforms. Also their annual equipment issue is one pair of sox, one pair of spikes, New hats, a set of under armour. Players pay for their own equipment such as bats, gloves etc. They also pay for their own warm-up fleece. It isn't being spent on accommodations either, Players stay 4 to a room with two men sleeping in a double bed. Travel meals usually consists of a pizza and a soft drink. There's never a meal provided for between games during a double header. Guess what we've already paid for those meals. Practices usually run late, so players can't get to Burwell, so they have to use their own money to eat or their terrier bucks. So where's all this money going?
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Thu May 03, 2007 9:30 am

Growler wrote:I don't know where the money is going? It certainly isn't going toward scholorships. It sure isn't going towards equipment. Players take the field every game with tattered uniforms. Also their annual equipment issue is one pair of sox, one pair of spikes, New hats, a set of under armour. Players pay for their own equipment such as bats, gloves etc. They also pay for their own warm-up fleece. It isn't being spent on accommodations either, Players stay 4 to a room with two men sleeping in a double bed. Travel meals usually consists of a pizza and a soft drink. There's never a meal provided for between games during a double header. Guess what we've already paid for those meals. Practices usually run late, so players can't get to Burwell, so they have to use their own money to eat or their terrier bucks. So where's all this money going?

If this is really the situation with our baseball team, or any of our teams, then I am ashamed. There is no excuse for running a DI program like a 1A high school program irregardless of the financial challenges. Doing more with less is one thing, but if these conditions are accurate, Wofford isn't just non-competitive in baseball, it's a joke. I know it's hard to raise money, but if the situation is this dire then it's time for the leadership to figure out a way.

Sure, the Terrier Club always needs to raise more money, but how much are the student activity fees portion of tuition these days? Also, if things are this bad, wouldn't it have been a better allocation of resources to improve the condition of the baseball program (and others) rather than spending several million dollars on a new field?
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby GoldandBlack on Thu May 03, 2007 10:34 am

Doing more with less is one thing, but if these conditions are accurate, Wofford isn't just non-competitive in baseball, it's a joke. I know it's hard to raise money, but if the situation is this dire then it's time for the leadership to figure out a way.

Sure, the Terrier Club always needs to raise more money, but how much are the student activity fees portion of tuition these days? Also, if things are this bad, wouldn't it have been a better allocation of resources to improve the condition of the baseball program (and others) rather than spending several million dollars on a new field?

Ah, now this begins to get to the heart of the matter- exactly what are the priorities and goals of the leadership of the college? That would, to me, seem to determine allocation of funds.

I wonder if there is a clear, unambiguous statement anywhere on record that supporters and alumni can use as a reference to understand what our intermediate- and long-term financial priorities are, and the philosophy behind those priorities?

Inquiring minds want to know.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Growler on Thu May 03, 2007 11:45 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:
Growler wrote:I don't know where the money is going? It certainly isn't going toward scholorships. It sure isn't going towards equipment. Players take the field every game with tattered uniforms. Also their annual equipment issue is one pair of sox, one pair of spikes, New hats, a set of under armour. Players pay for their own equipment such as bats, gloves etc. They also pay for their own warm-up fleece. It isn't being spent on accommodations either, Players stay 4 to a room with two men sleeping in a double bed. Travel meals usually consists of a pizza and a soft drink. There's never a meal provided for between games during a double header. Guess what we've already paid for those meals. Practices usually run late, so players can't get to Burwell, so they have to use their own money to eat or their terrier bucks. So where's all this money going?

If this is really the situation with our baseball team, or any of our teams, then I am ashamed. There is no excuse for running a DI program like a 1A high school program irregardless of the financial challenges. Doing more with less is one thing, but if these conditions are accurate, Wofford isn't just non-competitive in baseball, it's a joke. I know it's hard to raise money, but if the situation is this dire then it's time for the leadership to figure out a way.

I can vouch that this is truly the case! I've been witness to it for four years now! There was talk of us being out of money before our first road trip! Come to a game & look at our uniforms especially the pants. Then ask a player, any player what the conditions are on the road. Good leadership would see to it that players who stay late for practice or in between games on a double header have some accommodation made for meals from Burwell even if only a bag with sandwiches chips & drink. The first thing a good leader does is look after the troops, in the ARMY we call it Beans & Bullets. Insure your men are well fed and well supplied.

The field was used a recruiting tactic the year we were looking at Wofford. It was really needed. Duncan Park is terribly outdated and to the point of being a hazard to play at. Russell C. King field is state of the art and we're all very proud of the facility. Its the best in the SOCON.

But we're sorely lacking with the support our baseball team receives from the administration. Most of our players have been recruited as groundskeepers
Growler

Postby Ruckus on Thu May 03, 2007 1:51 pm

While I am in agreement with most of the preceding posts, let me say as a former player that groundskeeping in baseball is a rite of passage, much like the tradition of UNC basketball underclassmen carrying equipment bags etc. Even the superstars. I know Clemson and some of the other schools have a fulltime grounds crew but the smaller schools keep their own fields. Most of the coaches and players take real pride in how sharp the lines are cut and raked and how the field looks and plays. Don't read as much into that as it is as much a tradition of the game as it is a budgetary issue.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Growler on Thu May 03, 2007 4:14 pm

Ruckus wrote:While I am in agreement with most of the preceding posts, let me say as a former player that groundskeeping in baseball is a rite of passage, much like the tradition of UNC basketball underclassmen carrying equipment bags etc. Even the superstars. I know Clemson and some of the other schools have a fulltime grounds crew but the smaller schools keep their own fields. Most of the coaches and players take real pride in how sharp the lines are cut and raked and how the field looks and plays. Don't read as much into that as it is as much a tradition of the game as it is a budgetary issue.

I would agree, that there is a pride issue involved. Also it tends to build commraderie. However, I guess the point I'm trying to make is we're losing players because they feel that all they do is shag balls during practice then groom the field after games. The number is two(2) and rising. If they were good enough to be recruited, they're good enough to play an inning now and again. Coupled with the road trip conditions and general lack of support from the administration. It really doesn't bode well for the program
Growler

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri May 04, 2007 1:22 am

GoldandBlack wrote:Ah, now this begins to get to the heart of the matter- exactly what are the priorities and goals of the leadership of the college? That would, to me, seem to determine allocation of funds.

I wonder if there is a clear, unambiguous statement anywhere on record that supporters and alumni can use as a reference to understand what our intermediate- and long-term financial priorities are, and the philosophy behind those priorities?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I have a feeling that the answer to this question and most of the ones in this line of inquiry is that it is a "need to know" topic and right now we do not need to know.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Baseball