4/28/07- GSU 12; Wofford 1

Postby GoldandBlack on Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:29 pm

That's pitiful. :cry:
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:48 am

I hate to drop this comment, especially since I'll be out of town for a few days and unable to defend it, but...

Time for regime change.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby TDOG21 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:28 am

I don't think you need to defend that comment...records speak for themselves.
TDOG21

Postby terriers on Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:51 pm

In our first 22 games through the last Monmouth game we averaged
allowing 5 runs per game and we only allowed double digets three
games. Our record was 16-6.

In our last 22 games starting with the USC game and including all
of our conference games we have averaged allowing 10.3 runs per
game and have allowed double digets 11 games. Our record was
5-17.

Conclusion: We simply do not have the pitching to compete in the
socon or against major div 1 teams.

What now? More scholarships? New coaches? Or both?
terriers

Postby Rowdy on Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:43 pm

Terriers, in my opinion, there is only one answer. More scholarships. I've seen post saying we have 4 baseball scholarships out of a possible 11 allowed. With that disadvantage, I have to think Coach Traylor is doing one heck of a job. Changing coaches isn't going to make things better.
Rowdy

Postby GoldandBlack on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:35 pm

I'm assuming that the 4 scholarships out of 11 allowed is correct, since I don't have that direct info.

If that is the case, it's as if we were playing football with 23 scholarships out of 63 allowed. I think that scenario can be pretty easily imagined by those who have followed the football program for a number of years. It would not be pretty, since we've been playing with about 48 athletic and 6 or so academic scholarships.

We all know the reasons- smaller alumni base, lack of heavy contributions outside the close community that is Wofford athletics. I, for one, can live with sub-par performances if they are solely attributable to lack of money, because it becomes a question of how much losing hurts in relation to how much money we have to donate. That, in effect, makes the cadre of alumni part of the team effort.

Like to lose - no. But I can deal with it as long as the student-athletes are receiving the best part of a Wofford education, which is how to become responsible citizens in an imperfect world.
"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."
~Will Rogers
GoldandBlack
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:38 pm

Rowdy, I am inclined to agree. I have met Coach Traylor and like
him but, not being on the scene, I know little about his coaching or
his relationship to his players.

I do know that pitching and defense are the keys to winning. With
the position players we have returning next year I hope we set a
top priority to get at least two good arms. We need at least one
more reliable starter and a lights out closer. Otherwise, next
year we will again be batting practice for the SoCon.
terriers

Postby dungeonjoe on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Perhaps the SoCon is not for us, since we are not on a level playing field when it comes to sports other than football. If we cannot get more scholarships, perhaps that would be the best alternative.
dungeonjoe
True Terrier Fan

Wow

Postby glehr on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:51 am

More Scholarships? That's the answer??? I'm not one to post too many opinions but I come on here a lot. After following much of the season online, it's amazing that nobody else seems to realize this one fact: why is it that Wofford starts every year out hot and then seems to plunge? Also, why is it, that during the plunge the Terriers seem to play very well (sometime in victory) against "top notch division 1/socon teams"? Beat UT, beat USC, if I'm not mistaken Wofford took the Georgai Southern series at the end of the year for 3 straight yrs? Maybe Even bigger question, if it's the starting pitching, relieving, pitching/defense/overall talent due to a lack of players/scholarships...then why are the terriers in EVERY game and series. If it was a lack of talent then they wouldn't be in ANY series let alone take games from the #1 team in teh country USC (when they pitched and played their scholarship players!!) and a top SEC team UT. I don't know the coaching staff that well (the assistants anyway) but I do understand baseball. I understand that using the same arms EVERYDAY early (against IPFW, etc.) in the season wears them out for the conference season. And, using the same arms doesn't get experience for anyone else! So you HAVE to use the same arms in conf. Look at games pitched for the relievers and innings...no arms should go through that year in and year out. Everyone on here seems to forget since we are no longer that age anymore... These young men are playing other young men of the same age...so what's the "x" factor - and don't tell me it's the talent level because we have more than a handful of talent that can play on other teams. Wearing, Kirkley, Cole and others can play on any other team in teh conference...but it seems like they lose games before they take the field....there's only one reason for that! They are motivated for the big games (probably self motivated) but lack that same motivation for the other games and come out flat, why is that?...you guys can answer that question- but it's probably more scholarships!!!!
glehr

Postby BestOfBreed on Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:46 am

Baseball Operating Expenses - as reported by the Department of Education
http://ope.ed.gov
Reporting Year: 7/1/2005-7/1/2006 (last years #'s)
Citadel $288,862
College of Charleston $156,970
Georgia Southern $138,122
UNCG $102,193
Elon $92,918
Wofford $85,041
Western Carolina $76,849
App State $67,677
Furman $62,861
Davidson $29,445
BestOfBreed
Site Admin

Re: Wow

Postby BossTerrier on Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:54 am

glehr wrote:More Scholarships? That's the answer??? I'm not one to post too many opinions but I come on here a lot. After following much of the season online, it's amazing that nobody else seems to realize this one fact: why is it that Wofford starts every year out hot and then seems to plunge? Also, why is it, that during the plunge the Terriers seem to play very well (sometime in victory) against "top notch division 1/socon teams"? Beat UT, beat USC, if I'm not mistaken Wofford took the Georgai Southern series at the end of the year for 3 straight yrs? Maybe Even bigger question, if it's the starting pitching, relieving, pitching/defense/overall talent due to a lack of players/scholarships...then why are the terriers in EVERY game and series. If it was a lack of talent then they wouldn't be in ANY series let alone take games from the #1 team in teh country USC (when they pitched and played their scholarship players!!) and a top SEC team UT. I don't know the coaching staff that well (the assistants anyway) but I do understand baseball. I understand that using the same arms EVERYDAY early (against IPFW, etc.) in the season wears them out for the conference season. And, using the same arms doesn't get experience for anyone else! So you HAVE to use the same arms in conf. Look at games pitched for the relievers and innings...no arms should go through that year in and year out. Everyone on here seems to forget since we are no longer that age anymore... These young men are playing other young men of the same age...so what's the "x" factor - and don't tell me it's the talent level because we have more than a handful of talent that can play on other teams. Wearing, Kirkley, Cole and others can play on any other team in teh conference...but it seems like they lose games before they take the field....there's only one reason for that! They are motivated for the big games (probably self motivated) but lack that same motivation for the other games and come out flat, why is that?...you guys can answer that question- but it's probably more scholarships!!!!

well said George-we are a competitive team-our offense is fantastic, and we are competitive-but we can't get it done in close games and our pitching is toast. The arms are used up, although I'm not sure he has much else on the bench to work with-

Who is the pitching coach? is that traylor?
BossTerrier

Postby glehr on Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:28 am

no Traylor is the head coach. But, I'm pretty sure he still makes all the calls. You can't tell me that 10 other pitchers (without the last name Vartranaian or Melton, this yr's closer etc) on the bench can't record outs. What are they doing on a D1 team then. Maybe they can't face a lineup 3 times through, but I'm sure they can get outs in certain spots if you allow them to get those outs. People just don't realize that baseball, more than any other sport, is all about confidence. You have to not only think you can do it, but you have to KNOW you can do it. You have to KNOW going into a game, inning, at bat...that you WILL get it done. Obviously when your dealing with 18-22 yr old growing young men, they tend to look at records/stats/SCHOLARSHIP MONEY and think to themselves, well maybe we aren't supposed to beat CofC, etc. It's an attitude. It's called a winning attitude. Are you going to tell me that CofC wins because they have the best 10-12 players every game every year. No. They win because they are a collective group of very good players that KNOW they are going to win. They win because they pull for the same goal. Teams they play who have talent (i.e. Wofford) lose because they don't KNOW they are going to win...and they aren't all pulling for the same goal. That's called motivational direction; and it's nothing that scholarships, 2 new "stud" pitchers, etc. is going to correct. I'm sure some of you know players on the team...are they motivated to win a socon championship, or are they ok with getting 22 wins. Look at expressions after games. I watch Clemson play a lot and a loss is unacceptable. It's a mindset. You either play competitively with that can't lose attitude; or you play average with a "what happens - happens" mindset. I don't know because I'm not around Wofford enough anymore; but I'm just throwing it out there for you guys to discuss...
glehr

Postby TDOG21 on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:38 pm

First of all we beat those teams in the beginning of the season because all of those Patriot league teams are garbage. The teams we play before Southern Conference play usually are not Southern Conference quality. Just take a look at their RPIs now. Second we beat Tennessee and South Carolina because they threw their worst players against us. The pitchers that blew the save for Tenn. have the three highest ERAs on the team. South Carolina lost to us on a fluke play. I am glad Wofford won those games. It is good for the program to get press, but when you step back and look objectively, the wins don't translate into much other than our starters are almost as good as their backups.

People on this board have indicated that Traylor is a nice guy and they like him. I have to respect your opinion, but also inject that has not been my experience. I would not want to play for him, and my friends that did play for him only did it to stay on scholarship or refused to continue playing for him. I think we need a younger coach who can bring new/different energy to the program. At the end of the day we have to recruit better and after 7 years I do not see that happening under Traylor. Maybe Traylor realizes that if he continues to graduate players (which he does well) then he does not need to recruit much better. He has coached for 26 years, maybe Wofford will let him coast into retirement.

My question for the Traylor supporters really is do you see it getting better anytime soon?
Also I realize we are not going to consistently be in the top of the Southern Conference without a massive increase in financing, but I am tired of it being acceptable to be a doormat. Why can’t we finish 5th?

SC is a state rich in baseball talent and tradition. Wofford has potential to improve and I will be pulling for the Terriers with or without Traylor.
TDOG21

Postby Ruckus on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:59 pm

I agree that winning is mindset in any sport. A mindset that makes losing unacceptable but also motivates one to prepare and do the necessary preparation that winning requires. A mindset that promotes confidence. But confidence is bred in winning and unless you win, it's hard to have it. It's the chicken and the egg quandry. I also agree the head coach is responsible for it. But in Wofford's case, it's really hard to ignore our budgetary constraints. I personally think it's a combination of all: money, leadership, winning, etc. I don't think it's a lack of talent generally but I don't think we can sit on the outside and make a judgement call whether we are doing as well as we could/should be. I trust RJ as AD to do that. I think Coach Traylor is a decent guy and a knowledgeable baseball guy. Is he doing all that he should and is the team playing up to it's potential? I don't know. But it's hard for me to look at our record and yearly downward spiral in conference play and think we are for whatever reason which again may not be Coach T's fault. But ultimately he is responsible as head coach. What I find interesting is that the performance of our baseball team mirrors the basketball team's (hot start with talented players fizzling into another disappointing finish). I think strength and conditioning may be a factor re the injuries/fatigue But we lsure ose alot of close games so ultimately there is a problem that needs to be fixed. At some point changes have to be made. What is sad is that we have long history of winning and being competitive in baseball and baskeball as opposed to some other schools, yet we can't get over the hump. I am not at all advocating a quick trigger to fire any coach at Wofford (it's not our way or culture) but at some point enough is enough and the players deserve a better chance at succeeding. When that is I don't know.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby terriers on Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:26 pm

Best of Breed, thanks for your list of team expenditures for baseball.
I had no idea we were in the middle of the pack. I can certify that
we only have four scholarships because that is what we were told
at last months Terrier Club meeting. Regardless, we are spending
more than several other teams and, therefore, should not be the
annual dootmat. We do have good talent and we may very well
have the best infield in the SoCon with Waring, Gilmartin, Kirkley,
and Brandt. I am satisfied our problem lies in our recruitment and
coaching of pitchers. That is clearly our weakness. Our defense
is sound enough as we don't make many errors. You don't slug
your way to championships. You win with pitching and that is what
we've got to improve. If you don't believe it, ask the Atlanta Braves.
terriers

Next

Return to Baseball