Terrier's Beat Tennessee

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Terrier's Beat Tennessee

Postby Growler on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:14 pm

How about it!

All of the nay sayers of our bullpen.

As was stated from the beginning if used effectively, they'll come through.

Chip Hunt with the win!

Charles Vartanian with the save! Ties school record for saves! :yay:

Eric Sturkie had an awesome game!

Now let's go get them GSU Eagles!

"Go Terriers" :clap2: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D - :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Growler

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:03 pm

Great win for Wofford.

Now I hope we can avoid "basketball syndrome" by beating a BCS school and then getting rocked in conference play.
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Growler on Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:03 am

Eyes of Old Main wrote:Great win for Wofford.

Now I hope we can avoid "basketball syndrome" by beating a BCS school and then getting rocked in conference play.

We've got a real good chance to boost our conference record this weekend @ GSU.

We need to stay focused. The key elements will be playing good defense and using our pitching staff wisely & effectively. By that I mean not over extending our starters and using middle relief to get to our closers. When our starters start showing some fatigue or about the sixth inning we need our middle relief up and throwing. We've got a bevy of capable arms that can provide the necessary innings to get us to our closer. Chip Hunt showed that against the Tennessee Volunteers, plus he gives the opposition a different look being a southpaw. Take a lesson from our opponents. Tennessee changed pitchers with a seven then again with a five run lead. Davidson had their staff up & throwing the entire series, as did the Citadel, etc and so on. Using our bullpen effectively means using whoever or whatever it takes to gap the difference from our starters five or six innings to get to our closer Charles Vartanian who has shown he's a different pitcher when he's in a true closing role. If he's not sharp we can always go to Gilmartin or Kearney.

NOW LET'S GO GET THEM EAGLES

"GO TERRIERS" :clap2: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D - :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Growler

Postby terriers on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:48 am

Of all times to make an error, the STATE newspaper got our Tennessee
score backwards. I have called and requested a correction which they
promised. I guess they just couldn't believe it.

Could someone near the scene give me an update on Vartanian? He
seems, to me, to be the key to our continued success. I was just
wondering if he has fully recovered from his pre-season injury.
terriers

Postby Growler on Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:27 pm

terriers wrote:Of all times to make an error, the STATE newspaper got our Tennessee
score backwards. I have called and requested a correction which they
promised. I guess they just couldn't believe it.

Could someone near the scene give me an update on Vartanian? He
seems, to me, to be the key to our continued success. I was just
wondering if he has fully recovered from his pre-season injury.

Yes, He's fully recovered. His foot is not an issue and his arm is strong and loose. The key to using him is, as the closer. he can pitch one inning every game. But when he's put out there with 3 or more innings to go he's a very different pitcher. check the statistics his freshman and sophomore years he was lights out when used as a one inning closer. Even in a losing effort! As stated in my many previous posts if our staff is used wisely and effectively we can and will win games. Our pitchers all of them are very capable. Most of them are being used as errand boys and field maintenance personnel
Growler

Return to Baseball