Campbell; at UNCG 5-11, -12, -13

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Campbell; at UNCG 5-11, -12, -13

Postby lawdog on Tue May 08, 2012 9:03 pm

http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2012/ ... 24856.aspx Lost to Campbell. Next are three games at UNC G, which we should have a good chance to win.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Re: Campbell; at UNCG 5-11, -12, -13

Postby TheTerrier on Tue May 08, 2012 11:08 pm

It is a possibility. If they make the routine plays i.e. fielding ground balls, catching fly balls, and throwing strikes then they've got a chance. If not, this team is going to be fighting an up hill battle. This team has got to give themselves a chance offensively; making upwards of sixty errors in the infield alone is pretty hard to overcome in any situation.
TheTerrier

Postby lawdog on Fri May 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Went to the game tonight, a 7-4 win. I had not seen the Dogs play in 2-3 years. Looks to me like we are more athletic than I remember. Yarusi was impressive on the mound, a scrappy thinker who kept them off balance. Hyman had the big shot, a grand slam on a 3-2 count with two outs. We squeezed in a run, which was nicely done, and had about 3 good sac bunts. Talked briefly to a few parents, who said we have not had a bad year aside from losing too many one-run games. It appeared to me our pitching is pretty good and a little ahead of our hitting, with Doyle (hitless tonight) being the only regular batting over .300. Appear to have some nice younger guys in the wings. We win the next two and we are out of the cellar; split the next two and we are tied for the cellar.
http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2012/ ... 24412.aspx

Have we had more than average attrition of young talent from the program? Anyone know?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat May 12, 2012 4:11 pm

UNCG's turn today. Our defense a little shaky. http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2012/ ... 20820.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sat May 12, 2012 11:55 pm

http://client.stretchinternet.com/clien ... ype=video#
Just came upon this free video of Saturday's entire game; apparently Sunday's game will be broadcast live and/or on delay as well. Cool.
Last edited by lawdog on Sun May 13, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun May 13, 2012 1:13 pm

In Game 3, left two on in top of 1st. Watch it live, link above.

Down 2-0 after one; two errors. We got one in top of second; 2-1.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Sun May 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Game three, tied 5-5 after 5. Watch it live, link above.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon May 14, 2012 9:16 am

http://athletics.wofford.edu/boxscore.aspx?id=1837 Wofford gave the game away, seven errors to none for UNCG.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Mon May 14, 2012 2:55 pm

7 errors is astounding.
One almost every inning.
Saw where we are 42-105 over last 5 years. (Insert loud sigh).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Mon May 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Local newspaper headline: Spartans Slip by Sloppy Wofford
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Wed May 16, 2012 12:34 am

Ruckus wrote:Saw where we are 42-105 over last 5 years. (Insert loud sigh).

(Insert Head Coach excuse here)
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Denise on Wed May 16, 2012 4:29 pm

Hard to win when you average making an error an inning.
"Glory to God, Honor to Wofford." Mike Ayers
Denise
True Terrier Fan

Postby DiamondTerrier on Thu May 17, 2012 10:52 am

Here's my take on the error problem. Looks as if the problems on the team could be because of lack of instruction on behalf of the coaching staff. This applies to the entire staff but ultimately the head coach is responsible. From what I'm hearing the players are scared that when and if they make a mistake they will get bashed for it. Some get pulled almost automatically and are benched until the relpacement makes a mistake. It's a game of musical chairs. The coach has shouwn zero confidence in his players. He does have his favorites. Face it...the cleanup hitter batting at .220 and the 5 or 6 hole hitting at .230 and these are the highs for the last half of the year. I'll you be the judge. Also I was unaware of this until last weekend. Seems that injuries have plagued us most of the year in the middle of the infield. First it was Hyman taking a bad hop off the eye and was sidelined for a couple weeks and now has a wrist that is causing problems. Cantrell has been plagued by a sore shoulder for most of the year and now is nursing a bad groin injury. Moore has been plagued with a foot injury since as far back as C of C series and just recently discovered it was a break that was misdiagnosed as a sprain. He has been playing with a taped foot all year and now wears a boot when he is not playing, yet continues to play with a broken bone in his foot. All three have continued to play through these injuries, only Brenk and KD on the infield have remained healthy. Guess they are afraid to be called out as a WUS in reference to Morris being called out by Coach I in front of team after pitching "ONLY 10" innings on a broken leg. (Seems like we may have a Trainer issue here at Wofford) The problem is these guys play in fear and hide injuries from the coach in fear of the ridicule and bashing they may catch from the coach for being a Wus. How can any of these perform up to their capibilities with this hanging over their heads? They can't! This is where the problem lies. Not once has he given any of the players a encouraging word. The only motivation tactic he knows is Fear. Well, with the exception of a few chosen few and they are his untouchables! A change has to be made at the top. This years had the most talent as any team in his tenure and look at where we will finish again this year. We are even behind Davidson and they hold the tie breaker against us. We have the players, that I truly believe. Bottom line...We just don't have any leadership. Will it get any better? Not sure, from what I hear the AD doesn't like to fire coaches because it makes it look like they made a mistake when they made the hire. All at the expense of the student athlete. That is who they should have at heart. It's sad that they don't. Sorry for the long rant.
DiamondTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Thu May 17, 2012 11:11 am

If true, very disturbing.
I am not sure though the admin's resistence to making a coaching change is for fear of admitting a mistake (which it could very well be perceived to be) or simply it is not the culture to make coaching changes very often.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Thu May 17, 2012 12:56 pm

DiamondTerrier wrote:Here's my take on the error problem. Looks as if the problems on the team could be because of lack of instruction on behalf of the coaching staff. This applies to the entire staff but ultimately the head coach is responsible.
He does have his favorites. Face it...the cleanup hitter batting at .220 and the 5 or 6 hole hitting at .230 and these are the highs for the last half of the year. I'll you be the judge. Well, with the exception of a few chosen few and they are his untouchables!
A change has to be made at the top. This years had the most talent as any team in his tenure and look at where we will finish again this year. .

Well lets see what you are trying to say, because I am not following you on all of it.
First, the problem is Coach I has not had an infield coach since Dillinger was sent packing. Our middle infielders are not getting coached becuase no one knows what to tell them unless it was read in a coaches manual. It is tough to coach from a manual. This is what corporate executives do in little league when coaching their kids. So, I believe the staff needs someone that is an infield coach!! Coach I should be held responsible for getting or not getting this coach that we need.

I agree that this team has the most talent of any team he has coached and more that we have had in a while and maybe for a while to come. The Conference RPI is seventh!! I think that is 7 out of 31 conferences.
Wofford's team RPI is 149. This is the highest since the team won the SoCon in 2007 with an RPI of 142.Actually since going D1, the team has only finished in the top 200 D1 teams three times.(I think there are a few more than 300 D1 teams). Those years were 2007, this year and 2002 when they finished at 199. So history says we are a middle of the pack in D1 when we have our best talent such as 2007 and 2012.

So the issue is deeper than the coach even though I think his head is on the chopping block because that is just how life is. The conference is tough as the devil. Not an excuse, but we need more money to get more players. Then we need to coach better because you can't loose 9 out of 11 ONE run games in the conference and expect to be anywhere except at the bottom.
Let's also look at the preseason poles. We were picked to finish 10th in both the media and coaches pole. We are where we should be by the opinion of those that know more about the program, the coaches, the scholarships, the depth of players etc.

Then you talk of favorites and untouchables. Some of the players you call out are not untouchables at all and not favorites. You got some bad info there. They are just the best he has and in fact some of the best to have played at the school. Why not call out the entire team. Heck only one is batting over .300. (I don't count the ones without a bunch of at bats but even counting them I think that only gives you one more batting over .300).
Looks like leadoff and cleanup are both 100 points below where they were last year. Both have hit it hard and the average is not indicative of their ability or how they contributed to games. In fact they are second and third in driving in runs and second and fourth in extra base hits. Of course Mac Doyle is first in both catagories!
Not sure who five and six are since they change them around so much, but I feel that statistics and batting averages are not the reason Wofford loses games. Stats are also not why people start.

Don't fool yourself if you think that next year will get better when these seniors(favorites and untouchables) graduate so some others can get their shot.
Looking at the up to date stats tells me that on the offense Wofford will lose three hitters(leadoff, three hole and cleanup) that have 253, 263 and 222 hits in their career( all in the top 6 in history) and Doyle and Diamaduros have 196 and 168 RBI in their career(top 3 in Wofford history).
Not to mention another hitter and a catcher that is one of the best ever at this school with his defense and has 151 hits and 60 rbi to boot.

Sorry, but I will not even get into the pitchers that will be lost and the innings they have contributed to the program.

Bottom line is that you and I are probably a lot closer in what we think about the program than what can be typed on this blog. We have struggled in the past and will struggle in the future until major changes are made. Hope they happen sooner than later.

PS---USC-Upstate won their conference and will go to a regional with former Wofford pitching coach Dusty Blake as their pitching coach!!----but wait, Wofford beat them 4 out of 5 times in the last two years and can't even make the SoCon tourny!! Another reason records and statistics don't tell the whole story.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Next

Return to Baseball