Close loss to Valpo

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Close loss to Valpo

Postby Natural on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:00 am

Ruckus - I am sorry you were so offended by my remarks. However, I am offended when you and others on this board declare the season over before conference play has even begun. Or when you choose to use the language you used ("want to puke") to describe how the team's play makes you feel. Whether you choose to believe it or not, comments like that are a criticism of the team's play and therefore the players - regardless of whether you name anyone by name or not. The reference to "old Terriers" has nothing to do with your past or whether you played the game at Wofford or not, gave money or not, or anything else - it is simply how YOU referred to yourself ("this old terrier").

And with that - peace out - I am done with this board for good. Too many negative posters on this board which accomplishes nothing. I applaud your efforts to improve funding and support for the program and I hope you are successful. I have done my part and will continue to do so, but that is not really relevant to the discussion.

GO TERRIERS!
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:59 am

Here we go again. No one, least of all me, has declared the season over. And I guess my explanation wasn't clear enough: it's the fact that we could do better in many ways, not necessarily the teams won loss record, that makes me ill. But whatever. Sounds like someone needs to joust other windmills.
Congrats to the team on the 5-4 win over PC last night at Fluor Field. Stuck in a church meeting I was getting updates on my phone. Sounds like we were super aggressive on the base paths. Glad Eck was able to come in and stop the late rally.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:16 am

Natural, perhaps the problem is people like you that think its ok to run from criticism and pack up your toys and go home when you don't get your way.

Negative posters on this board? Are you serious? If you can't handle this board, be glad your kid didn't go to Clemson or South Carolina. This board is hand holding and singing kumbaya compared to those, and others in the country for that matter.

Get a grip. There are problems in the baseball program. Big ones. I was a 4 year letterwinner and two sport captain at Wofford. I am a president level TC donor. Not that I need a justification to speak, but there it is.

I will be critical of missteps by admin, coaches, players that don't give 110% and any other area of the program that needs calling out. I have been on the other side, I know what it's like. Any kid that doesn't take criticism as motivation will NEVER make it in the real world. That is the problem with today's society. Everyone should get a trophy, everyone should be made to feel special, we shouldn't criticize our kids, we should build them up.

Hogwash. If you are a division I athlete, and a Wofford man at that, man up and stop thinking the world owes you something.

The team makes 5 errors in a game. Guess what. It DESERVES criticism. The field is crappy? It deserves criticism. Coach I coaches at a Division I college in one of the top 6 or 7 baseball conferences in the nation and his paycheck comes from donations that I in part with my fellow terrier breathren make, he deserves criticism.

I only criticize things I care about.

I support and love the dogs like no one else, keep that in mind. Everyone on here does. We all want it to be better tomorrow than it is today.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby dialing8 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:58 pm

You know what kills me is that we all appear to have talked to administration about the lack of funding to this program. Looks like none of us can get the right ear to scream into. All the criticism is OK with me if the writer understands why I get ticked at some posts. I get ticked because the PCs and GWs have more money for the players that we do. Damn, do we not deserve better for this program. We are still playing with 4 1/2 scholarships!! That makes me want to puke!!
If I understood correctly from an assistant coaches father, GW has 9-10 scholarships. PC has no less than 7. Furman is now FULLY funded.
Wofford needs to get it together. Hell, Coach Traylor was promised more than 4 1/2 when he was hired and that was over 10 years ago. I think he started with 2 or less.

The real problem with lack of funding is that the coaches can not miss on a prospect. Yes, they have missed on a few and then they have had arm injuries to the top pitcher recruited over the last two years. The kid from Texas went home. the other kid is running a radar gun right now. These kids did not get hurt at Wofford, they get overused trying to get that college to give them a chance and get to college hurt. It happens at USC and Clemson too, but they are so much deeper in talent and they also can grab JUCO players that have proven they can play at the college level.

I don't know that any coach can get us into the middle to top of the SoCon with 4 1/2 scholarships and a 45K tuition. YEP, 45K next year!! I know there are coaches out there that can help win some games that we might currently lose, but not enough to get us where we all want to be.

Guys, soccer has more scholarship dollars than baseball. I hear they have 5!! Why?
Baseball is a great sport. We are in a top 7-10 conference each year. We play against some big boys in the baseball world like College of Charlston, GaSouthern, Samford(was a power program in their prior conference), Elon, and even App. State.
Wofford could get to the top third of the conference but not wthout a commitment to the program and that means money. I do give my money and have been for probably 20 years. I do serve on boards and do talk, but I think I along with others just get dismissed as complainers!
IF the school would just come out and say how poorly the whole athletic program is funded, with the exception of football and basketball, maybe some old money friends of the school and others like us on this chat board could get the money we need. I believe the administration is ashamed to let the funding numbers get out. I challenge all of you to call, email, write, or do research on the computer and you will never get the numbers ANYWHERE. I have seen the numbers one time, but that was probably 10 years ago. I had a professional recruiter type guy that helps get college scholarships for high school players tell me the scholarship numbers are one of the most guarded secrets in the NCAA. Go figure!
We are a top level school! One of the best in the country. Now lets become a top level school that fully funds all of their athletic teams also. That is how the school gets on the map in my opinion. When you regularly kick butt in all sports. When you knock off USC and Clemson regularly, not just compete with them for 5-6 innings then come up a few runs short. So lets get the money or at least keep asking for it.
Let's also get to the field and watch some pretty good baseball played by some fine young men!!
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby Denise on Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:47 pm

We all love Wofford. The baseball program can be better. They need more support.
"Glory to God, Honor to Wofford." Mike Ayers
Denise
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:06 pm

The way it has been described to me by more than a few people in the admin is the BoT made a decision 10 or more years ago to prioritize funds to the football team first, then basketball in order to get them competitive quickly in hopes of "rising the tide" for the other sports. I'd say they have succeeded on the first part of the equation but more attention needs to be placed on the second part. And certainly Title IV has not helped either.
Don't get me wrong: I love winning at football and basketball. But it is more than overdue that the BoT, admin, and others pay some attention to the other sports. The fact that soccer has more money than baseball is offensive to me (I too have heard the 5 schollie number for soccer). Wofford has so much to offer and could be a great 'baseball school" with just a little help from those in charge. But look at the decisions made directly affecting the program time and time again and you have to wonder if the school really gives a crap about the sport at all (aside from the new stadium being built).
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 pm

I agree that the problem here is the administration and not the players. Funds are lacking to prioritize baseball (and other sports) and as a result, it seems to have created a culture where there are few expectations from administration. Low expectations, breeds comfort within coaching staffs and that does not drive the attention to detail and hunger needed to be successful in the win/loss column. Honestly, it is a very slippery slope that we are on.

The players are motivated play their best because I do believe they want to win and clearly they are succeeding academically so I do not challenge their heart or desire. But without the funding for more scholarships, a hungrier coaching staff, better equipment if that's part fo the problem, etc., then nothing much is going to change.

I don't blame the players because they are doing what they can with what they have. To an extent, so is the coaching staff, although arguments have been made that the head coach may have been in over his head from the beginning by being thrown into a situation he was not adequately capable of dealing with (that statement was told to me by the father of a former player, so that is not me just running my mouth). But, all that boils down tothe commitment that Wofford can afford to make to baseball which is apparently, not much. When the monetary focus shifts, the results will be scrutinized more and if they don't improve, changes will be made. Until then, each season stands to be a case of rinse and repeat.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby COHAZE on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:10 am

PC actually has 8.25 scholarships.

dialing8 wrote:.....PC has no less than 7. Furman is now FULLY funded....
COHAZE

Postby BossTerrier on Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:10 pm

COHAZE wrote:PC actually has 8.25 scholarships.

dialing8 wrote:.....PC has no less than 7. Furman is now FULLY funded....

And we just beat them. Whats the point, exactly? Our golf team is fully funded, its not like they are world beaters, not even close. Sure, more scholarships should level the playing field but it is more than that.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby lawdog on Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:45 pm

BT, you're right about golf ... they just finished 17 in a field of 18. Our minor sports, esp. on the ladies side, need to start getting it done.

Evened series with EKU.http://athletics.wofford.edu/news/2012/ ... 24045.aspx
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hooper's Judge on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:27 pm

So the baseball team is currently allotted only 4.5 of the 11.7 maximum scholies? This would be comparable to the football team competing with just under 25 scholarships, or the basketball team competing with 5. Dialing, I know you mentioned Wofford’s scholarship distribution is one of the most guarded secrets out there, but do you know where the football and basketball teams are at now?

IMO the coaching staff has done a sufficient job managing with the limited funding they have. I think we can all agree that there are some extremely talented guys out there who work hard both on and off the field… Now whether they are being utilized in a way to maximize the team’s performance is definitely debatable.

I’m not arguing that baseball should be at the same scholarship level (as a % of the maximum allowed) as football and basketball, because I understand these are our “money making” sports and they should indeed be put first, but even 8 scholarships would make a HUGE difference. Wofford is a very appealing baseball school and it is quite frustrating watching kid after kid turn away due to limited funds. Honestly, is the only chance the baseball team has to make the “fully funded” dream a reality in the hands of a potential future donor? From previous posts it seems the administration has not even considered throwing any more scholarships baseball’s way…
Hooper's Judge

Postby dialing8 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:41 pm

[quote="Hooper's Judge"] I know you mentioned Wofford’s scholarship distribution is one of the most guarded secrets out there, but do you know where the football and basketball teams are at now?

I think you misunderstood me. It is not only Wofford that guards the numbers, it is all schools that are not fully funded.

As for football, I understand they are full or at least have aid given to players that are counted towards the full number.
I believe basketball is the same. If they are not full they are pretty close which means nearly every kid get a free ride since there are only like 15 on the team and I think the NCAA number is 11 or more for scholarships.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Previous

Return to Baseball