coaching change

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

coaching change

Postby american gentleman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:39 pm

american gentleman

Re: coaching change

Postby lawdog on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 pm

I did not know Coach Blake well, but what I knew I liked. When I saw the caption for this new thread, my heart leapt.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby BGTerrier on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:09 pm

Even with this coaching change, the underlying problem still exists. We have a head coach who isn't qualified to run the program and has had no success at the D1 level. This program has made zero progress in the 4 years under the current head coach, and I have little confidence that things will change going forward.
BGTerrier
Junior Terrier

Postby american gentleman on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:01 pm

Well correct me if I am wrong but we have had eight assistant coaches in four years. Is the norm in college baseball? In any other environment this would be a reflection on the upper management .
american gentleman

Postby Eyes of Old Main on Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:58 am

“We were going to try to keep Jason, but we didn't know if I was going to get the job or not,” Interdonato said. “I wanted to keep him, but he had to take care of himself. There were no guarantees."

Who qualifies as the "we" involved in not knowing if Interdonato would get the job? The "national search" commitee?

The only thing that seems to be guaranteed these days is that in spite of some talented and hard-working players, Wofford's program will wallow in mediocrity due to substandard leadership in the form of the head coach.

Resource problems and the like may be valid points for why the Terriers are where they are, but we still have a coaching staff and they are responsible to deal with coaching fundamentals, etc. and creating an atmosphere of success around a program. Those are responsibilites of the job and they are not happered by a lack of funding.
SoCon Champs '03, '07, '10, '12, '17
FCS Playoffs '03, '07, '08, '10, '11, '12, '16, '17
FCS Semifinals '03
D-II Playoffs '90, '91
NAIA Finals '70
SC Little 4 Champs '48, '49, '50, '51, '52, '54, '56, '57, '61, '62, '63, '64
Cigar Bowl Participant '50
Eyes of Old Main
True Terrier Fan

Postby Ruckus on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:33 am

FWIW - Blake is a good guy who tried really hard. Effort and desire are not lacking in the program on any level.
I agree the turnover rate for assistants is not a good thing but it happens in the business pretty frequently (before becoming too critical, remember we have had a number of assistants in football leave lately too). It is not surprising given the EXTREMELY low wages being paid by the college. College baseball coaches in general are paid pretty low compared to other sports, but assistants at WoCo are not paid much at all. I think it shock some of you to know how little Blake and the others make. Other than a HC, they do it not for the money but the love of the game.
Again, not an excuse for poor fundamentals. Like many things in life, you get what you pay for. Juxtapose our situation to USC and the financial commitment they have made to their baseball program in terms of paying coaches, resources for the program and the stadium which is one of finest in the country. When you hire quality people (I think Tanner is the best college coachin the country) and give them financial support, success is not a surprise.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby DiamondTerrier on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:58 am

This is a change that had to be made! No doubt about it! I hope that our pitching will improve with Coach Burke. Outside of Cornley and Collins our pitching has been very suspect at times. With these two though, we knew we would get a premium effort each time they took the mound. That can't be said out of the rest of the pitching staff. These are the two who were responsible for our lower ERA this year. Rest of the staff mostly struggled at times. Does anyone know what Coach Burke's background is? Is it in Pitching? Also who will now be the Recruiting Coord.? Love to hear everyones thoughts on the change and what impact it could have on our program. As I see it the bottom line is we have to have more funding to be able to recruit and move up in the SoCon.
DiamondTerrier

Postby Ruckus on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:13 am

Burke was pitching coach in '06 and '07. Other than the SoCon tourney in '07, our pitching in those years was pretty bad (last in the SoCon as I recall). I don't see this as an improvement at all as my general impression is that our pitching in recent years has gotten some better under Blake (although I admit I have not closely reveiwed the stats to support this opinion).
I guess one positive is that TI is not standing pat and is changing things around. But even that is pretty weak.
Ruckus
True Terrier Fan

Postby Hooper's Judge on Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Burke was actually never the primary pitching coach at Wofford. In '06 and '07 Brickman was the head pitching coach and Burke focused more on the position players. A positive from this change is that Burke is a first class guy and has more passion for the game than anyone I've ever met. He brings enough energy to the field day in and day out to account for an entire team. Burke was a pitcher in college and from what I hear he made a huge impact on the pitching staff while at GWU. I hate to see Blake go but it will be great to see Burke back in black and gold.
Last edited by Hooper's Judge on Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooper's Judge

Postby Actualfan11 on Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:15 pm

I think Coach Burke being familiar with the school and its standards will be a sure positive, however judging by the statistics at GW I do not expect any massive improvements. Maybe I am wrong and having a new coach will help motivate some players who it appears have under performed in the past. However, I would not expect any vast improvements to the pitching staff's numbers until the Athletic Department opens their eyes and decides to better fund the program.
Actualfan11

Postby Denise on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:34 am

american gentleman wrote:http://www.goupstate.com/article/20110615/ARTICLES/110619784/1090/sports02?Title=Burke-to-return-to-Wofford-to-replace-pitching-coach-Blake...
any thoughts on this move?

When I saw this thread, I thought we had a coaching change at the top.
"Glory to God, Honor to Wofford." Mike Ayers
Denise
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball