Elon Weekend

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Elon Weekend

Postby bigdogbarking on Sat May 01, 2010 10:43 am

Dolinak pitched well. Stayed with them pitch for pitch until he ran out of gas. Tip your hat to Reyes, he was great. Mixed his pitches well and stayed on top of the batters. NO WALKS. Didn't give them more opportunities. Offensively, couldn't put hits together. I still say we should run more, a lot more. More aggressive is good. Just thinking out loud.
bigdogbarking

Re: Elon Weekend

Postby lawdog on Sat May 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Sounds like the good news is that we have some good young players, who should get better as they gain maturity and experience. Does that sound right?
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Sat May 01, 2010 4:16 pm

But haven't the same things been said the last couple of years too?
wocogoose94

Postby bigdogbarking on Sat May 01, 2010 10:32 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Same old, same old
bigdogbarking

Postby Natural on Sun May 02, 2010 7:53 pm

With our win on Sunday over Elon, the Terriers equaled last season's conference win total of 7 games with three series (12 more games) to go. That is a sign of progress considering we are still a very young team and we lost last season's best player to the draft. Let's give the TEAM credit where credit is due.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby dialing8 on Sun May 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Natural wrote:With our win on Sunday over Elon, the Terriers equaled last season's conference win total of 7 games with three series (12 more games) to go.

In looking at the media guide for baseball I see the most wins ever in the SoCon era is 14 in 2002, followed by 10 in 1998(first year in the SoCon), 9 in 2001, and 8 in 2004 and 2007.
So as I said in a post from late fall or early winter, 10 wins was what I believed would mark this as a successful season. I believe the team will get more than the 10 I had hoped for.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Mon May 03, 2010 9:13 am

It's absolutely comical that anyone thinks achieving 10 SOCON wins as a successful season.
wocogoose94

Postby Natural on Mon May 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Wocogoose YOU are absolutely comical. Go back to the football forum since that team is so awesome.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby BossTerrier on Mon May 03, 2010 12:42 pm

Natural wrote:Wocogoose YOU are absolutely comical. Go back to the football forum since that team is so awesome.

hate to hurt anyone's feelings, but how can anyone be proud of NOT making their conference tournament and losing 30+ games. The mindset has got to change.

I support Wofford athletes 100% as I was one, but come on. At some point we have to all quit ignoring the elephant in the room. This team has had very little to show in terms of gaining a consistent competitive edge.

I am however glad to see the focus on Sunday...good to beat Elon at least 1 out of 3.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Natural on Mon May 03, 2010 3:26 pm

No one said they were proud of not making the post season. 10 conference wins will likely make the tournament and that is what this team is aiming for - making the tournament. Weekday games DO NOT matter. I have never bragged about beating SC as some suggested. I don't care if we even play them. Conference games are all that matters and the fact is this team has already won as many conference games as last year's team even though last season's best player left for the draft. And we have three series left - 9 more conference games.

All of this vitriol directed at the baseball program ignores the simple FACTS that paint the real picture of a team that starts only ONE senior and ONE junior - the rest are all freshman and sophomores.

FACT: Despite being the second smallest institution competing at the Division 1 level, Wofford baseball's Strength of Schedule (SOS) in 2010 is ranked as the 79th toughest Division 1 schedule in the country out of all 300 Division 1 programs.

FACT: 3 of the top 5 hitters in the Southern Conference are Wofford baseball players.

FACT: Wofford's team pitching ERA is lower this season by 1.6 runs from last season.

So you may not like the coach, but stop criticizing the improvements of a very hard working young team that is striving to meet your oversized expectations, hopes and dreams. It is very tiresome and unfair to these student-athletes.
Last edited by Natural on Mon May 03, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Mon May 03, 2010 4:30 pm

If you are not going to count the non-conference games(and I tend to agree with that), then don't use those stats either to make points. Also, Wofford has 3 games each left with Samford, Furman and ASU.

I seriously doubt the SOS is that high if you only consider conference games.

Also, just looking at conference games, Wofford has two individuals in the top 15 in batting average, #3 and #5.

The team ERA is almost 2 runs better, 8.81 vs. 6.92.
wocogoose94

Postby Natural on Mon May 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Wocogoose - showing once again how little you know about college baseball in 2010. The FACT is the Southern Conference is ranked as the 9th best baseball conference in the nation for 2010 out of 32 D1 conferences. The top ten conferences in order are:

SEC
Pac 10
ACC
Big XII
Sun Belt
Big East
Conference USA
Big West
Southern
Mountain West

Don't believe it? Check the FACTS at: http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2010/conferencerpi
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Mon May 03, 2010 7:53 pm

I never disputed anything about the SOCON's power ranking, in fact this point wasn't even referenced in your previous post.
wocogoose94

Postby Natural on Mon May 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Wocogoose - you did reference the strength of the conference by questioning if our Strength of Schedule would be so strong is we only counted conference games. SOS is based on how good the teams you play are and since the SOCON is a strong conference it contributes to Wofford's SOS being so high. Get it?
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Return to Baseball