Scholarships?

Southern Conference Champions - 2007

Moderators: BestOfBreed, dungeonjoe

Re: Scholarships?

Postby dialing8 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:42 pm

blitz4 wrote:If it is true that NO coach in the country on the pro of college level can be successful at Wofford with the lack of scholarships, then why do we waiste our time and money on baseball at all? I do not believe that you can not win at Wofford and be in the upper third of the conference. The bottom line is that obviously Interdonato and staff can't, so lets give someone else a try. Before Polson arrived, everyone thought it was impossible to win a championship in men's soccer. We need a change!

First of all Polson has 5 scholarships for a team that really needs about 10-12 to compete. Soccer gets more scholarships than baseball!!! That is the joke.
Baseball needs 10-12 pitchers to compete. Seems like every series Wofford plays the other team has a Friday night guy that will go in the top few rounds and a Sunday guy drafted out of high school. To get these pitchers Wofford has to be able to put together packages of money that leaves the parents looking at free rides or less than 5K to pay per year. The thought that telling a parent how great of a deal they are getting for a Wofford education for 20K per year sounds great to a Wofford grad, but sounds like crap to a pitchers parent getting 75% to full ride offers from from numerous other schools in the SoCon.
Ask coach Traylor how pissed the Sarratt family looked when he offer this kid a Wofford education for 8K per year. (The kid was #1 at Gaffney). He chose to go be average at Clemson for less money.

I do not think this program can be in the top 1/3 no matter who coaches them with the resourses thrown at the program, but I will say getting kicked in the teath by teams I do not even want to see us play is hard to swallow.

As for funding, how many coaches want a job at a school that has 4 scholarships and pays less than the #3 guys at USC and Clemson???
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby lawdog on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:54 pm

If you have played both sports, you know that soccer requires at least as much skill, athletic ability, heart, perseverance, intelligence and focus as (and clearly more conditioning than) baseball.

And why is it a joke (if true) for soccer to get one more scholarship than baseball? Soccer is more popular and has a higher profile among high school and college kids and fans than baseball, and in all likelihood comes closer to breaking even financially (less expensive equipment, many fewer games).

It cannot be denied that leadership/coaching of college athletes (all of whom have good skills and potential) is very important, especially in the team context. Being well schooled in fundamentals, having skills properly utilized in a team setting, getting in the necessary shape, and giving great effort at the necessary time are keys to success, and are more the direct results of good coaching than any other single factor.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Sat May 01, 2010 4:14 pm

I seriously doubt that many socon baseball players get a full athletic scholarship. That only leaves 10.7 scholarships to divide among no more than 26 players. I also think Wofford is not doing their job if they do not exhaust all avenues to lessen the burden on any students, not just athletes. Scholarships, grants, aid, anything to minimize the students out-of-pocket expense.

Dialing8, do you have any facts to back up your claim that Wofford has 4 baseball scholarships and that the head coach makes less than the #3 coaches at SC and Clemson? I keep asking the question, but no one can say for absolute certainty how many scholarships Wofford baseball has.
wocogoose94

Postby Atldog7 on Sat May 01, 2010 11:34 pm

Cohaze,

I'm not saying its apples to apples, but this team should be better than dead last just about every year. Our team then would have fared better in the Socon, especially with 2 more scholarships. Its frustrating to see underachievement pawned off as something else.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby Natural on Sun May 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Today our baseball team won their 7th conference game equaling last season's win total with three series (9 more games) to go. That is progress no matter how you slice it.
Last edited by Natural on Mon May 03, 2010 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby ILoveWofford on Mon May 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Although I disagree with a lot of these posts I will just comment on the last one. You are happy with equally the win total from last year and said that is progress any way you slice it. All of you people are on something. Progress is winning and getting better in all facets of your program. Winning 10-15 games a year and finishing dead last in the conference almost every year is not making any progress at all. Listen all the whining and excuses about everything is just kind of silly. The program is sort of a joke on the D 1 level and it is a shame that all of you cannot just man up and realize it. On another note, some of you commented on our depth and being young and things like that. It seems like we are young every year or is that just another excuse. This coach has been the recruiting coordinator for like five plus years now and we are not developing any players. It is what it is people...Wofford is an average Division 2 program stuck in the SOCON
ILoveWofford

Postby dialing8 on Mon May 03, 2010 8:59 pm

ILoveWofford wrote: This coach has been the recruiting coordinator for like five plus years now and we are not developing any players. It is what it is people...Wofford is an average Division 2 program stuck in the SOCON

I would say they are an average D1 program stuck in a top 10 conference.
As for the coach, I would like to go on record saying I support the Wofford baseball players. The coach needs to be held accountable just like any coach playing with 4 scholarships. Kind of like coach Smith at Furman, but then again he has between 7 and 8 scholarships to play with.
--------------------------"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." Earl Weaver
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby Natural on Mon May 03, 2010 10:44 pm

Sometimes I wonder how many of you posters actually have a Wofford education. No one (including me) said they were happy with last season's win total. The point is that the team has already won the same number of games as they did last year despite having lost their best player AND there are still 3 conference series to play. Is that clear enough for you ILW????
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby jackiewalnuts on Tue May 04, 2010 1:46 am

First of all, we should reserve our judgment for the fate of our coach until this season has concluded. We have tied our high and have Furman, one school Interdonato has been able to beat, left on the schedule.
Reggie,
I find it hard for you to say Coach I developed all of these pro stars. Gilmartin was at Wofford two years walking in preseason All-SoCon selectiion, adequate development considering his draft. Waring is a stud. When healthy, he was, and is, a power performer at the plate. Redwine and Vartanian's careers were minimal, but they did have a great career at Woford. These guys you name that are batting over .300 says nothing about their ability on the next level. We must enjoy their success now and hope they succeed in the future.
As for winning, lack of funding is apparent. Deal with it. There is still no reason we should be in the last third every year. There are service scholarships, financial aid, grants, and local scholarships that can help, in addition to the work study programs that can add funding. SC, NC, GA, & TN are loaded w/high school talent. Not to mention, the lack of appeal of Citadel and Furman.
I hear SMC has limited funding as well, but id imagine it isn't this bad.
jackiewalnuts

Postby dialing8 on Tue May 04, 2010 9:10 am

jackiewalnuts wrote:There is still no reason we should be in the last third every year. There are service scholarships, financial aid, grants, and local scholarships that can help, in addition to the work study programs that can add funding. SC, NC, GA, & TN are loaded w/high school talent. Not to mention, the lack of appeal of Citadel and Furman.

This is what kills me about some of you. Why should Wofford not be in the bottom third? They are in the bottom third in scholarships!! Each year the teams with the money get the players and they consistently win. Wofford has limited funds so they are consistently in the bottom third. It is a positive correlation that no one wants to accept.
As for the service scholarships, financial aid, grants, and local scholarships, I can assure you that many players get this stuff, but still have parents paying 10-30K per year to send their child to Wofford. Most of the schools in the SoCon besides Furman, Davidson and Elon cost less to walk on to than what Wofford players end up paying after all these other available funds are deducted from tuition.

Then to make things worse we have a girls basketball team that gets a full 11 scholarships to play with. Thank you title IX, or whatever number it is.
And let's not forget that Wofford is now getting ready to start a Lacross team next year. I hear it will be a club sport so I guess that means they raise their own money UNTIL that end up playing D1 in a few years so we can attract those rich kids from out of state that want to play Lacross in college but are not good enough to play at Duke!!
So I predict we will never get the funding for baseball and Soccer that is needed to be in the top third each year until Wofford launches a D1 Scholarship Fundraiser to raise about 30 MILLION. Wofford neads about that much to fully fund all male sports and do the correct match for womens sports. I guess Wofford will have to add sports for the girls such as rowing!!
dialing8
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocogoose94 on Tue May 04, 2010 12:12 pm

Until someone can tell me how many baseball scholarships each SOCON team has, all the supposition in the world is meaningless. I know people say that information isn't easily attainable, but some keep spouting scholarship info for other schools. Does anyone know this information?

I know that Wofford is expensive to attend. Alot of my friends wanted to attend Wofford but couldn't because of the cost. The baseball players, and all students for that matter, choose to come to Wofford over other schools. They also do so knowing the financial burden placed on their families and themselves, either before, during or after college. Either through scholarships, grants, work study, etc, the students and their families knowingly commit themselves to Wofford. Sure there most likely is some tightening of the purse strings, but they choose to attend knowing this. I just dont see where the argument about the financial burden is a big one
wocogoose94

Postby COHAZE on Tue May 04, 2010 12:27 pm

There is a website that has information on what schools spend on their various sports. It is not comprehensive. It does not tell you how many scholarships each school funds, or how much coaches are paid. However, it does have data on how much schools spend on "operating expenses" for their various sports. Now, I am not sure exactly what is considered an operating expense. For example, does it include scholarships? Salaries? Don't know. But regardless of exactly what it covers the numbers are nonetheless very informative with regard to how committed schools are to their programs. Here is a sampling:

USC--$334,000
Coastal--$322,000
Clemson--$295,000
Citadel--$187,000
Winthrop--$171,000
College of Charleston--$125,000
Furman--$119,000
Erskine--$99,000
Charleston Southern--$95,000
USC-Aiken--$87,000
SMC--$74,000
WOFFORD--$71,000
PC--$71,000
Francis Marion--$68,000

So, what does this tell you about Wofford's commitment to the baseball team?

If anyone wants to review this data, see http://www.ope.ed.gov/athletics/Index.aspx Maybe some of you can make better sense of it.

I should note that this data is supposedly through June of 2009, so it is fairly current.
COHAZE

Postby SC_Terrier on Tue May 04, 2010 2:02 pm

wocogoose94 wrote:I know that Wofford is expensive to attend. Alot of my friends wanted to attend Wofford but couldn't because of the cost. The baseball players, and all students for that matter, choose to come to Wofford over other schools. They also do so knowing the financial burden placed on their families and themselves, either before, during or after college. Either through scholarships, grants, work study, etc, the students and their families knowingly commit themselves to Wofford. Sure there most likely is some tightening of the purse strings, but they choose to attend knowing this. I just dont see where the argument about the financial burden is a big one

No offense to you but this proves to me that people are clueless when it comes to college sports. It is also evident that our point about scholarships and it's correlation with attracting quality talent is not getting traction with some of the baseball critics. wocogoose94, top tier players are not going to "tighten" the purse strings to attend Wofford when they can have all of the "bells and whistles" at Coll of Charleston, Winthrop, Western Carolina or anywhere else. That is our whole point. Good high school players are concerned with three things: Money, playing time and draft history. Also, are any of you aware of how much work study pays? I did work study at Wofford during my four years and trust me, it paid for my gas to Fast Phil's. The truth is, other teams in the conference are offering full or 3/4 scholarships without work study. Most of families are going to choose the school offering more money because seriously, who wants to "tighten the purse strings" if they have a better offer down the road? For the past eight years, a walk-on offer from the College of Charleston has been a better selling point than a baseball scholarship to Wofford....that scholarship usually falls in the range of $3,000 - $6,000 per player, each year....it's a joke. From 2002 - 2007, the players had to purchase their own bats...come on guys. They still may have to buy the bats but I'm out of the program. I know for a fact from 2002 - 2007 that this was true. If we want to be taken seriously then we have to step-up to the plate. The truth is, no Div. 1 program should ever be in a financial situation where the players have to fork over the money for the equipment, especially the primary tool for a baseball player...a bat.
SC_Terrier

Postby lawdog on Tue May 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Buy your own BAT? That is pretty sad.
lawdog
True Terrier Fan

Postby wocomouth on Tue May 04, 2010 3:42 pm

Wofford has a club lacrosse team NOW. They play on the intramural field. I know they have played App State, Furman, and C of C this year.
wocomouth
True Terrier Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball