Moderators: dungeonjoe, BestOfBreed

Scholarships?

Postby ILoveWofford on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:54 pm

Is giving up 22 runs ad 26 hits to Gardner Webb a scholarship issue too? WOW
ILoveWofford

Re: Scholarships?

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:12 pm

ok mr funny arrogant guy,

look at the pitchers who gave up the most runs and hits for us in that game. and by runs, i mean earned runs. alex wilson and yarusi. both freshman. patience is a virtue. you cannot expect freshman to win right away. period end of story. the jump from high ball to division one college baseball is the hardest jump to make. seems like you want to just ride these guys off campus right now and that you are unwilling to realize that it takes time to develop players, especially when those players do not have the greatest skill sets and tools out there
reggie warren jr

Postby american gentleman on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:17 pm

There is more to this loss than lack of scholarships and freshman pitchers.
american gentleman

Postby reggie warren jr on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:21 pm

ok then. what else would you chalk it up to? bc we scored 7 runs in this game, with a a lineup comprised of experienced players.
reggie warren jr

Postby american gentleman on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:19 pm

what do you think ?
american gentleman

Postby american gentleman on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Never mind. I know what you think the problem is but there is no way we should have lost to Gardner Webb 24 to 7
american gentleman

Postby COHAZE on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 am

YES, that is definitely a part of it. More scholarships would allow the staff to recruit more pitchers who are ready to compete at this level NOW. Don't get me wrong, Wilson was a great sign for Wofford. He's the kind of kid that Wofford MUST go after. With the proper coaching he could be a high level draft prospect by the time he graduates. But at this point he is still a work in progress. With limited scholarships Wofford has to go after the diamonds in the rough and try to develop them. But that takes time. More scholarships would allow the recruitment of more guys who are ready to hit the ground running.

ILoveWofford wrote:Is giving up 22 runs ad 26 hits to Gardner Webb a scholarship issue too? WOW
COHAZE

Postby blitz4 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:51 pm

I am sick of the scholarship excuse. It is just flat out BAD COACHING. Not to mention G-Webb swept us in 3 games.
blitz4

Postby Natural on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Blitz4 - like to see you recruit a deep pitching staff with 4-5 scholarships. Who cares about GW? The games that count are on the weekend. Midweek games are nothing more than opportunities for guys who don't pitch on the weekend and obviously those guys need the work.
Natural
True Terrier Fan

Postby reggie warren jr on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:51 pm

blitz,

you cant nor can you expect to win in division one college baseball with less than half the scholarships that are alloted by the ncaa. for you to think such a thing is completely absurd. bad coaching? how about bad funding and lack of support. i guarantee you that if we get more scholarships, then we get more wins. its just that simple. sure maybe interdonato or blake arent the greatest coaches in the world, but they are damn good and should be applauded for at least giving us a chance to win with the talent and support we have financially. if u were to bring in the top college baseball coach in the nation for example, guarrido,or tanner, or horton, or someone of that caliber, they would not be able win with the financial support at this school. more money equals more wins, its just that simple folks
reggie warren jr

Postby BossTerrier on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:47 am

Natural wrote:Blitz4 - like to see you recruit a deep pitching staff with 4-5 scholarships. Who cares about GW? The games that count are on the weekend. Midweek games are nothing more than opportunities for guys who don't pitch on the weekend and obviously those guys need the work.

you can't have it both ways. You and others brag about the fact that we beat USC and Tennessee over the past few years showing we have a team that can hang with anyone, but yet we beat those teams on the weekday. Based on your quote above, it doesn't matter that we won those games because weekday games don't count. Help me if i'm wrong here, but if we're going to brag about a weekday win then shouldn't we be concerned about weekday losses, esp. to Gardner Webb, who I highly doubt is a fully funded baseball program, going to the center of the arguement that the baseball team's lack of scholarships is the sole reason for its poor play?

I would like one person on here to tell me how the men's soccer team won the conference this past year, because it certainly wasn't due to an influx of scholarship money. Perhaps it was due to fine coaching? Just a guess. I don't give a rat's tail about following soccer, but even I know that SoCon soccer is a powerful conference, with Furman and CofC being top 25 many years.

The point is the Wofford Way is not to sit in a corner, lick your wounds and continue to whine and make excuses. It is about finding a way to win or succeed with less than the other guy, in sports and in life.
BossTerrier
2008 SoCon Pickem Co-Champ

Postby Atldog7 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:27 am

I'm with you Boss. When I was there we had 2 scholarships and still went 30-9 my Sophomore year. Stop with the excuses. We've always been underfunded and likely will be for a long time. Doesn't mean we can't play at a higher level.
Atldog7
True Terrier Fan

Postby COHAZE on Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:49 am

When you were there you weren't in the SoCon. And you were playing schools like Alice Lloyd, Salem, Lenoir Rhyne, S.C. State, Warren Wilson, Allen, Columbus, Campbellsville, Lincoln Memorial, etc. (Aren't media guides great?) There is NO comparison between the level of ball played in 1991 and the level they are trying to play now. Of course if Wofford left D1 and went D2 or D3 (roughly what you were playing in '91) they could be extremely competitive with the current level of funding. Maybe going D1 was where they went wrong? (TFIC).

Atldog7 wrote:I'm with you Boss. When I was there we had 2 scholarships and still went 30-9 my Sophomore year. Stop with the excuses. We've always been underfunded and likely will be for a long time. Doesn't mean we can't play at a higher level.
COHAZE

Postby blitz4 on Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:41 pm

If it is true that NO coach in the country on the pro of college level can be successful at Wofford with the lack of scholarships, then why do we waiste our time and money on baseball at all? I do not believe that you can not win at Wofford and be in the upper third of the conference. The bottom line is that obviously Interdonato and staff can't, so lets give someone else a try. Before Polson arrived, everyone thought it was impossible to win a championship in men's soccer. We need a change!
blitz4

Postby reggie warren jr on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:00 pm

"If it is true that NO coach in the country on the pro of college level can be successful at Wofford with the lack of scholarships, then why do we waiste our time and money on baseball at all? I do not believe that you can not win at Wofford and be in the upper third of the conference. The bottom line is that obviously Interdonato and staff can't, so lets give someone else a try. Before Polson arrived, everyone thought it was impossible to win a championship in men's soccer. We need a change!"

ok first of all blitz college soccer and college baseball are two totally different things. they are different sports, but baseball is a game of greater skill than is soccer. so you cant compare the two at all because they are in no way shape or form the same or even close to being the same. also blitz we are wasting our time with baseball bc unlike wofford football, baseball and the other sports at the school have a chance to qualify and win a real natl title someday. plus it is those types of sports that would garner the school more attention than football bc lets face it nobody cares about who won the stupid a s s fcs championship. the basketball team got more attention just making it to the tourney than the football team got for going deep into the playoffs a few years ago. wofford football in my opinion is a little bit of a joke and its sad bc we are giving that team support when in reality, they are jv in a sense. i know i will get crushed on this board for stating my opinion, but its time that people realize that there are other sports at wofford that have the potential to be really really really great if given the necessary tools and opportunities to succeed. also not sure why we would give someone else a try at the coaching job just yet. this is only his 4th yr as a head coach, and the players that he and coach blake recruited together are still only sophs. so your logic there by saying its time for a change is idiotic. patience is a virtue.
reggie warren jr

Next

Return to Baseball